4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Sound Question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 03:27 PM
liljojo4711
4th Gear Member

if it were me i would just wire up some decent speakers in the front, leave the rear speakers out and add a sub. i would rewire from the head unit to the front door speakers with some good quality wire and run a wire to the back for the sub. u can leave the stock wiring in there if u want. i think there is a way to reuse the stock wiring but its easier just to run a couple wires...
Old 06-25-2009, 03:38 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by 04CompetitionOrange
First off...thanks for all the helps so far.

I adjusted the audio controls and tried the different equalizer settings, but I still can't get the sound quality back to where it was initially. The stock subs are working, so I feel like they got integrated correctly. In the different seetings, it just seems like I can have good bass and muffled voice or good voice and muffled bass...but not both.

I am frustrated because I didn't even want to spend money on "upgrading" the sound system. My damn 6 Disc just wouldn't stop eating my CD's...so I was only rocking out with the radio. So now I have spent money on a head unit / install only for my audio quality to go down. I feel like I have just paid someone to punch me in the face.

What do I need to take out and replace with aftermarket equipment in order to get a CLEAR sounding system? Can the stock wiring at least still be used?!!!

/rant

What model pioneer head unit did you have installed?

Once i know this, i can tell you what head unit you should have gotten instead...lol. Sorry, You can only expect the clear sound that you had if you have a very good aftermarket unit. You need real adjustability.

Basically, if you have a decent head unit now, you can do away with the stock amps/speakers and upgrade them, but that will not be fun, as its going to require a hefty bit of rewiring. You should be able to get a reasonably clear sound from the whole range with a good head unit, so let me knw what you have.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:47 PM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

Here is the link to the head unit:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218056225709

Its a Pioneer 50W x 4 MOSFET Apple® iPod®-Ready In-Dash CD Deck with MP3 Playback (Model: DEH-2100IB)
Old 06-25-2009, 03:50 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by 04CompetitionOrange
Here is the link to the head unit:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218056225709

Its a Pioneer 50W x 4 MOSFET Apple® iPod®-Ready In-Dash CD Deck with MP3 Playback (Model: DEH-2100IB)

Well theres your answer. To be blunt that head unit is trash.

Sorry, sound systems are just like go fast goodies,..gotta pay to play.

Your only option for decent sound is upgrading to a much much better head unit.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:57 PM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

What's wrong with the headunit? What does it lack that the Mach 460 head unit had?
Old 06-25-2009, 03:57 PM
liljojo4711
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver

lol definitely agree. look into alpine, blaupunkt, eclipse...
Old 06-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Not to be mean or anything, but i agree^^!
That is a horrible unit... one that goes into a civic or something.
I would see if you can return it and upgrade to a better one.
I know you dont want to here this, but its the truth... Sorry.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:07 PM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

Can someone tell me why mine is a horrible unit?

The $300 Alpine head unit from Best Buy is still 50W x 4 channel...so what is so different from the Pioneer unit I have?
Old 06-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Well you are on the right track with that one.

Part of the issue is that the signal being sent from the factory head unit to the rear amplifiers was likely a low level input(5v), and when you installed an aftermarket setup, they had to put a converter in there to allow the pioneer to connect its high level(12v or more) outputs to your factory amps. So SOME signal clarity may be lost. However, nothing to major. The lack of bass you are experiencing is quite common with any switch from a factory head unit. Every time i do a head unit only install the customer is always mildly dissapointed until i adjust the head unit for them and explain that the sound quality is much better and not being covered by the muddy bass that the factory unit provided. This is not the case with the factory amped systems though because they are constrained by the amps no matter what. Sorry if this is confusing...end result...the whole point im trying to make, is that you should upgrade your entire stereo to acheive great sound quality. And, believe it or not, some factory amped systems are actually better than some aftermarket headunits, it just depends what model you buy. I personally have stuck with Panasonic for the amazing power output and onboard 9band equalizer and high and low pass crossovers.

Jeez...this turned into an incoherent book...sorry, hope atleast some of it makes sense lol.
i went through this all the time installing at BestBuy. My best advise is to always keep like components together. You can make anything work but as far as I'm concerned it's not worth it. Bestbuy will warranty the work so take it back and tell them to either fix the problem or replace the wiring and switch to a small 4 channel amp. You could run the speakers through a 2 channel and keep the 2ohm speakers but you'll loose some control.

HONESTLY, they should have never agreed to do it without several custom labors and ONLY if they are a MASTER jedi MECP. (like I am, lol)

Most Install bays only agree to do this work IF they are replacing all the wires and amps. I worked for BB as an installer, till the wife got promoted to manager, lol.

Anyway, take it back and have them pull it out or replace everything.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:29 PM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

....I still don't know what is wrong with the head unit that I have installed right now though. So, I can't resolve the issue by getting a better head unit? Also, what would I need to look for in a head unit that my current unit doesn't have?

Quick Reply: Sound Question...