4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

gt auto good choice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 08:48 PM
00silverstangv6
2nd Gear Member

Default gt auto good choice?

im looking at a 99-04 gt to buy within the year. it dont matter if its auto or manual, but the fiance wants an auto...so my question is this, is an auto gt still a fast, nice car to have or will it be a let down? any help is greatly appriciated! thanks
Old 06-26-2009, 09:19 PM
WOH HRSY
4th Gear Member

I don't mind my auto, I got a great deal on it though. My wife refuses to learn manual but since the KB she's scared to drive it now anyway. I do miss the fun factor sometimes but, not when I'm drinking my Sonic strawberry creamslush and driving get what you WANT you'll regret it later if you don't.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 00silverstangv6
im looking at a 99-04 gt to buy within the year. it dont matter if its auto or manual, but the fiance wants an auto...so my question is this, is an auto gt still a fast, nice car to have or will it be a let down? any help is greatly appriciated! thanks
I say go with the manual. Is the car for you or your fiance? lol and don't say both either!
Old 06-26-2009, 09:39 PM
BlueMagic
2nd Gear Member

Well obviously i'd say go with manual car...an auto will be a let down on the fun factor. If you add some mods to it either way you'll up with a fast car. I can understand your situation that your in. Sounds like a tuff spot. If you do go with an auto the best thing you could do is add a transgo shift kit.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:56 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

If you can get a manual go for it, if you can only find an automatic so be it....Your still rolling in a stang. I think you lose a bit of HP because of the auto but nothing a set of 4.10's and a tuner can't cure.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:03 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

stalled autos > manuals any day of the week, but for the fun factor yea i guess manuals can be fun. really cant go wrong either way
Old 06-27-2009, 12:36 AM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

I have to agree with JJ03. Stalled GT's are so fun. I have an auto and I cant lie, sometimes, I miss ripping through the gears in my manual Mustang, but I can eat, drink, talk on the phone, think, etc. in my auto now. I plan on adding a stall and some 4:10's somewhere down the road. It's still a kick to drive though. I completely love my choice in buying an automatic.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:04 AM
00silverstangv6
2nd Gear Member

thats for all the help guys, i mean dont get me wrong, im going to buy what i can get either way, its just that she dont want to learn manual, and sometimes ( when i get drunk ) shes gotta drive my car and sometimes she drives mine bc she dont have an a/c on her car, it went out. so sometimes she will have to drive it.

when u say stall, you mean a stall converter???
Old 06-27-2009, 02:05 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 00silverstangv6
thats for all the help guys, i mean dont get me wrong, im going to buy what i can get either way, its just that she dont want to learn manual, and sometimes ( when i get drunk ) shes gotta drive my car and sometimes she drives mine bc she dont have an a/c on her car, it went out. so sometimes she will have to drive it.

when u say stall, you mean a stall converter???
That would be correct.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:35 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Boy.... I heard that an automatic car will spontaneously explode for absolutely no reason and go up in a huge ball of fire at some point.

In this case, I would forgo one and go manual for sure. I would not be able to live with myself if MY fiancé were driving the car and such a thing happened.

Jazzer... Keepin' it real

Quick Reply: gt auto good choice?