4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

o/r h pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:29 PM
almand01
1st Gear Member

ok, right now, idk why but the stock mid pipe hangs like an inch or two lower on the drivers side. do you think that might make it more difficult to install a new one, or do you think that my mid pipe now is just bent somehow?
Old 06-29-2009, 11:51 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

i have a mac h pipe to sell you. You will need to buy new hardware though
Old 06-30-2009, 07:22 AM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

I installed my midpipe. The process itself isn't terribly difficult, but doing it on jackstands, to me, was a huge pain in the ***. All you are doing is unbolting the old and bolting up the new, but access to the passenger side header bolts can be very tricky. YOu'll need a swivel socket.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:56 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

The pass side was a PITA to do just because of where the header flange is, but otherwise it is pretty straight forward. With the summit pipe, I had to use my tuner, even though i was going to anyway, because the rear 02 bungs weren't even close to the where they would need to be to plug in the 02 sensors. I just used plugs to close up the rear bungs.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:02 PM
almand01
1st Gear Member

ok sounds good. im really not that worried about the check engine light coming on. as long as my car will still run right and everything i will be straight.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:19 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't recommend running around with a CEL on all the time. If something else goes wrong... and it trips a code, you won't know but the light is already on.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:38 PM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

Also, you'll need to order a stud kit for the drivers side where it meets to the stock header. NAPA sells it. I can't remember why, but it won't sit flush with the stock studs in there. Also, a metal gasket for the passenger side. Don't use the cardboard one..if it comes with one.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:34 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MJH78
Also, you'll need to order a stud kit for the drivers side where it meets to the stock header. NAPA sells it. I can't remember why, but it won't sit flush with the stock studs in there. Also, a metal gasket for the passenger side. Don't use the cardboard one..if it comes with one.
I had no problem with the stock header studs and my bassani pipe. The hardest part of doinga midpipe is getting the stock piece out. Getting around the upper converters is a PITA. The new midpipe should fly in without a problem.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:21 PM
BlueMagic
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation Legal Question

Do I need to spend an extra 180 for the High Flow Ceramic Catalytic Converter Kit?.... on the o/r pipes? I live travel between IA/MN. Is it legal in these states not to have it. I don't want to get ticketed. Could someone Help explain this please???? or pm ME. whats the difference?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2009, 04:34 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Originally Posted by BlueMagic
Do I need to spend an extra 180 for the High Flow Ceramic Catalytic Converter Kit?.... on the o/r pipes? I live travel between IA/MN. Is it legal in these states not to have it. I don't want to get ticketed. Could someone Help explain this please???? or pm ME. whats the difference?

Thanks
Most states require you to have a cat on your midpipe, if you are caught without it you can see up to a $1000 fine or just a nice fix it ticket. I am sure between those two states it is required in at least one if not both. If your state has a yearly or bi-annual inspection or emissions test, then you will need them. Most people that have o/r pipes could careless about tickets, don't drive on the road, or don't have those laws in their states. Me, I don't care, but I don't drive it too much either, pretty much to and from the track.

Quick Reply: o/r h pipe