4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

mod steps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:08 PM
sidewaz

Default mod steps?

I am knew to the forum and have never done the forum thing but after reading some of the threads I have notice some interesting post and decided to join. So heres the thing, I am thinking about installing a set of comp cams and later installing a pro charger but not sure which to do first. I am also having a trouble finding a shop manual on my 01. I purchased a haynes manual and after installing my headers, I have decided I'd better buy a shop manual. I was also wondering on where to purchase the tools needed for the installation of the cams. Here are some the engine and drivetrain mods completed so far:
TCI breakaway 2400 stall
Ford Racing 3.73 gears
GMS hot-street coils
SCT tuner
BBK cold air intake
Intake spacer
BBK shorty headers
BBk under drive pulleys
PaceSetter off road H-pipe
Flow masters
I just looking for some more power gains before taking the car to the track for the first time. I have owned it for just a little over a year. I upgraded the suspension and left the body alone for a slightly stock look.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:43 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Get a higher stall, the stock stall is 2400 so you wasted you money. Um try NAPA, O'Reily, or maybe autozone for the tools. Get Hitech or CMS instead of comp.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:54 PM
jmat2407
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sidewaz
I was also wondering on where to purchase the tools needed for the installation of the cams.
Um....you might want to just let a shop tackle the cams install for you...
Old 07-05-2009, 10:56 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmat2407
its not that hard.. u just need a socket set and a breaker bar, if your changing springs u just need the spring retainer tool..
Old 07-05-2009, 10:58 PM
jmat2407
2nd Gear Member

your talking to a mechanic.

hard for me or you? nah.

hard for a guy asking where to buy his tools...probly.

and its a little more then that..he does have to actually set the cams in there right after all
Old 07-05-2009, 11:02 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmat2407
+1 unless you're pretty mechanically inclined and have the patience and proper tools...especially if you are getting aftermarket springs, and degreeing your cams.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:14 PM
sidewaz

I owned a small repair shop a few years ago and am quite knowledgeble of old school single cam and have done many before. The overhead cam is new to me and people use to be able to buy most specialty tools from the dealership and in my case the dealership where I am located does not sell the cam positioning tool or any other tools for that matter, they suggested that I go to snap-on tool man. So I assumed somebody knew of some website that sells shop manuals or the tools I needed. Just looking for some other opinions from experienced people on the mods to their stangs. Thanks
Old 07-05-2009, 11:18 PM
sidewaz

I am not going to degree the cams, little nervous about that. I thought about replacing the springs but the comp cam lift isn't any higher than factory and I have low miles on the engine so I thought about cheaping out on them.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:19 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

I am not going to degree the cams, little nervous about that. I thought about replacing the springs but the comp cam lift isn't any higher than factory and I have low miles on the engine so I thought about cheaping out on them.
I know a few ppl who have done hi-tech cams without degreeing or changing out springs. U can do it, but its not the best idea. dont cheap out on ur heads man.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:19 PM
jmat2407
2nd Gear Member

I owned a small repair shop a few years ago and am quite knowledgeble of old school single cam and have done many before. The overhead cam is new to me and people use to be able to buy most specialty tools from the dealership and in my case the dealership where I am located does not sell the cam positioning tool or any other tools for that matter, they suggested that I go to snap-on tool man. So I assumed somebody knew of some website that sells shop manuals or the tools I needed. Just looking for some other opinions from experienced people on the mods to their stangs. Thanks
From a fellow mechanic then, you do not just go to the snap-on guy. You set up an account with him, and he comes by on a weekly basis to take orders, exchanges, etc.

Yes snap-on is the best, but be ready to pay.

Quick Reply: mod steps?