4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New to the 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:24 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

stock filter and airbox, remove silencer....buddy of mine just tested out k&n vs paper on a dyno and at the track and on the dyno it was dead even, down to the tenth, and at the track he had the same results (within .05, which is most likely just the driver)
Old 07-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Bolt
1st Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by rainydayracing
I totally agree about the catback. Everytime I start the car, it brings a smile to my face. Lol - my wife had to borrow my car last week to go to work, and when I heard the car, I got out of bed to see what car outside sounded so awesome.

Though his initial post said free/cheap. I'd say the k&n drop in, and air silencer removal. I just ordered mine today (along with the mgw shifter).

Some good advice I got was to have a plan for your car. Where exactly do you want to go? All motor? S/c? Going to the strip a lot? The answer to these questions will steer you towards what mods to do.
i think ill probubly save up some more and go with the cat backs or the 4.10s. eventually have both.
as for plans, probubly all motor, nothing serious. maybe if i get a really nice job and get a little more stable ill look into s/c or turbo. i dont think ill be heading to the track or strip very often, but i would like to get into that. i never really wanted to with the v6, but now that im stepping up, i want to get into it.

idk who said it, but no i dont go to ut (atleast not yet ) im going to try to get in (im about to go into my senior year), but i dont think ill be able to.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Bolt
1st Gear Member

Oh, and once you get to 50 posts, you can get the 6% discount from american muscle.
i cant wait to get it! ive bought stuff from am before and the discount sure helps
Old 07-10-2009, 03:02 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

wanna know the best performance mod?

do NOT buy that gt....go get an ls1 fbody
Old 07-10-2009, 03:03 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
stock filter and airbox, remove silencer....buddy of mine just tested out k&n vs paper on a dyno and at the track and on the dyno it was dead even, down to the tenth, and at the track he had the same results (within .05, which is most likely just the driver)
Did your buddy do any testing of CAI vs paper or k&n on the dyno or track?
Old 07-10-2009, 03:05 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

Smile

lol....+1!
Old 07-10-2009, 03:08 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Did your buddy do any testing of CAI vs paper or k&n on the dyno or track?
no...he just tested drop in k&n vs stp paper for both, and he showed exact same numbers....paper lets less **** into the engine as well, so it is better...and no oil getting all over your MAF etc.... he tested it on an ls1 fbody, but im sure its probably pretty universal to compare filters .... as for testing cai's... it depends what kind of car it is to tell if you really get a gain from one, and the general consesus on here seems to be that cai is a waste of cash...someone here tested it but i dont remember who, i think maybe cliffyk but dont quote me on that
Old 07-10-2009, 03:16 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

dont you know thats blasphemy on this site...lol theyre gonna hang you
Old 07-10-2009, 03:25 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by JJ03MustangGT
dont you know thats blasphemy on this site...lol theyre gonna hang you
they should be used to it by now.... i tell the same thing to everyone who makes a post on here about buying a gt

then when they hate how slow their car is after a month of driving it, they cant say nobody told them
Old 07-10-2009, 03:36 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

no...he just tested drop in k&n vs stp paper for both, and he showed exact same numbers....paper lets less **** into the engine as well, so it is better...and no oil getting all over your MAF etc.... he tested it on an ls1 fbody, but im sure its probably pretty universal to compare filters .... as for testing cai's... it depends what kind of car it is to tell if you really get a gain from one, and the general consesus on here seems to be that cai is a waste of cash...someone here tested it but i dont remember who, i think maybe cliffyk but dont quote me on that
Yea, I've heard that the cai was a waste of $$, but never heard anyone compare paper vs k&n. It's probably very similar. He tested with the silencer delete, correct? I was thinking of taking out my silencer this weekend.

Quick Reply: New to the 4.6