4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

No Bass from Rear Mach 460

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 01:01 PM
2001GTMustang
1st Gear Member

Default No Bass from Rear Mach 460

The other day I began hearing a wine that sounded almost like a blower, without having my radio on (Full Stock Mach 460 System, with the addition of an Infinity Basslink which uses the rear speaker leads to receive its signal to play). With the radio on I could not notice it, but the radio played fine and had clear bass and everything from all speakers. The next morning though the rear subs quit firing and would make random pops although the front ones play as normal. Anyone have any thoughts? Here is what I have done already to try and diagnose this problem:

-Checked all fuses
-Check to see if the amps mounted on the Mach 460 enclosure where receiving power
-Checked the Resistance at the Harnesses going to the Amps
-Checked the Connections of the rear Speakers inside the enclosure as well as connections made for the Infinity Basslink
-Visually inspected rear subs
-Swapped a buddies working Mach 460 ampifier for the rear set of speakers and it did not solve the issue, and my amplifier played worked as it should in his car. (Looking at the wiring diagram for the system, the left amplifier in the trunk powers the front door subs, while the right amplifier powers the rear subs.)

**Everything listed above seemed to check out okay**
-The voltage and Resistance Checks where performed via the Pinpoint testing listed in the Factory Repair Manuals.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but this has been a frustrating issue and I would like to resolve it without doing anything to replace the Mach 460 system, because I am satisfied with its performance and like the "Stock Appearance".

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-15-2009, 01:34 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

you could try swapping the speaker itself for one that you know works.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:03 PM
2001GTMustang
1st Gear Member

The speakers in the rear seem to be fine, I checked the resitance between them and they are at 4ohms which is what I am pretty sure they are wired to be at and visually they look fine. I unfortunately do not have a speaker to substitute in there though. I am suspecting the problem is closer to the headunit or somewhere between the unit and amps becuase it does not seem like the amp is getting an adequate music signal.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:56 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

hmm idk man, try to track down a wiring diagram and start shooting wires. this is what i do for a living, troubleshoot avionics systems. **** is a bitch.

FYI i got rid of my mach460 crap a long time ago.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:14 PM
2001GTMustang
1st Gear Member

Yea, I bet that is fun to mess with each day. When you say you got rid of your Mach 460 stuff, do you mean you replaced it all and sold or trashed the 460 parts? If you haven't gotten rid of the Mach 460 headunit and it is in good shape and complete working order I might be interested if you want to do something with it. I spoke with a sound repair guy that I have shipped systems to in the past and he thinks my headunit might have an issue.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:36 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

There's a connector in the cable that feeds the rear amps, under the carpet by the dead pedal. It goes bad with age and causes a whine from the sub-woofer amps that can often be stopped by banging on the carpet by the dead pedal with your foot--after a while it just plain stops working.

I took it apart and cleaned the connector 2 years ago, it's acting up again now...
Old 07-15-2009, 03:46 PM
2001GTMustang
1st Gear Member

That's interesting, do you think you can get a replacement connector or do you have to end up splicing the wires together if it goes bad?
Old 07-15-2009, 07:38 PM
2001GTMustang
1st Gear Member

I just got done checking the connector under the carpet by the hood release. I am receiving the same voltage at each wire for the rear amplifier as the corresponding wires for the front amplifier. Seeing how the front subs are playing as they should and I am receiving the same voltage at the connector in the rear where the amplifiers are it would almost leave me to believe the headunit is putting out the right signal. If all that is true then the subs must have an issue although the subs will intermittently "fire" as they should then just start popping or have no sound. The odd thing is though as I hold the voltmeter at each terminal on the harness for a while the readings stay constant and do not fluctuate. I am lost and unfortunately do not know too much about electrical systems.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:04 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

i dont know much about the mach460 and decided to go aftermarket when one of my door woofers started farting. i got a aftermarket headunit and used it to power 4 new 4way speakers that fit where the woofers go with new wiring. thus deleting the mach460 amps and rack. also i removed the tweeters as i dont need them anymore. with the new headunit it allowed me to run a remote wire and rca's to go my subs for full control.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:37 PM
2001GTMustang
1st Gear Member

I bet that is a good set up, but I unfortunately cannot afford to do anything like that right now. Do you still have your original Mach 460 headunit? I was wondering if you would be so kind to donate it to me to see if my headunit quit putting out an audio signal to the rear amplifier because I have checked all the wiring now and everything looks okay. Did your speakers just blow out in the front or do you think your headunit quit providing an adequate signal?

Quick Reply: No Bass from Rear Mach 460