4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

questions about turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:34 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Default questions about turbo

still tryin get some more opinions on turbocharging my '96 mustang cobra. worth it over supercharging? where can i get the rest of the kit if i have a t3/t4 hybrid 58mm nonwastegated turbo. hear i can run stock internals
Old 07-16-2009, 01:00 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I know you can buy a hot side kit from MMR for like $1350... or you can always look into getting on fabbed locally. After that you would still need the oil connections, fuel upgrades, intercooler and piping.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:54 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

for the $1350, does that include the turbo.. lol cause i have that, just nothing else. and whats fabbed locally?
Old 07-16-2009, 01:59 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by disposablehero27
for the $1350, does that include the turbo.. lol cause i have that, just nothing else. and whats fabbed locally?
No, $1,350 would be for the turbo headers, cross over pipe and flange. Pretty spendy. You would still need the cold side, wastegate, BOV, oil kit, down pipe, fuel upgrades. You still would have a lot to spend.

There is a thread on here about putting a supercharger kit together for $1500. If you want cheap go with that... if you want a turbo and have the ability to be patient and collect parts. I say do the turbo.

Fabricated locally.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:01 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

i really appreciate the info for sure, i'm 90% sure i'm taking your advice and going turbo. that is alot of money, and alot of work. however i mean if its worth it, its worth it.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:02 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

what is the advantages of the turbo over a supercharger?
Old 07-16-2009, 02:28 PM
s3cret_stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by disposablehero27
what is the advantages of the turbo over a supercharger?
Only advantage I can think of is the turbo doesn't use power to make power. I was thinking about getting a turbo kit before I bought my procharger but the price difference didn't make any sense to me. It's really about how much money you wanna spend on it. The turbo stangs I've seen seem like they are fun as all hell to drive, but you can get the same out of a supercharger.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:33 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

yeah know what you mean, getting all the pricing and ideas now, trying to weigh my options here. figured this would be a good place to start with people actually having the applications. obviously my first jump was, here's a free rebuilt turbo. so going from there now.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Id say if you go with a turbo you probably would not want to go cheap , Make sure your plumbing is not crappy metal that will rust and fall apart a year down the road. If you shop around you can find all the other parts for decent prices including the Hairdryer. There are advantages and disadvantages choosing a turbo over a supercharger , some good things about a SC being you can piece together a SC kit for really cheap and not have to change out your exhaust manifold, you can avoid the oil feed with a self lubed SC , No turbo lag (which nowadays in really becoming extinct with newer turbo technology and mods). Now with the turbo I'm sure you know about all the goods it holds vaguely over a SC as in Boost your MPG, Turning the boost up with out swapping out a pulley , more power at lower boost levels due to the fact the SC spends HP to make HP , the bad *** sound of a turbo. All in all I say its really in preference and how deep your pockets are.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:45 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

yeah, i'm getting the feeling that a turbo is a way to go, excluding all the work its gunna take to get it running. seems like its gunna be a tough build, hear on the 4.6's you gotta pull the whole motor up and out to get headers replaced.

Quick Reply: questions about turbo