4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

cams instead of exhaust? help a noob out

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:25 PM
04 kevinp gt
1st Gear Member

Default cams instead of exhaust? help a noob out

I have been reading and reading about all the debates between long tubes and shorties and catted x's vs h's and no cats blah blah blah...I figure with the lack of mods with my car putting headers and a midpip are not going to do much. Insread I think i might go with stage 1 cams. This is my DD and I do not want to be bleeding from the ears with LTs/ O/r. What are your opinions on just getting it cammed? will the engine still sound like sex with just my stingers (possibly getting catted midpipe would liek thoughts on that too)? will i still see the signif gains Ive been reading about from the cams?

I had my heart set on full exhaust but i just came to the conclusion that its a lot of money spent for something I really wouldnt notice power wise and would just make my car a cop magnet with the o/r midpipe.

another side note...(might as well get it all out there)...as for gears and a tuner. Should I just do the deal on AM with the combo package or are there better options out there?

I know this is a wall of text but any help/thoughts/suggestions are very welcome as many people on this site seem to be very helpful!

Thanks in advance
Old 07-23-2009, 01:42 PM
CAMDUP
3rd Gear Member

cams will definately get you a bigger gain than a mid-pipe...chances are that you would'nt even feel a mid-pipe(you'll just hear it) , but the "seat of the pants" feeling from a pair of cams will be noticed
Old 07-23-2009, 01:45 PM
04 kevinp gt
1st Gear Member

compared to the install of headers...whats putting cams on like?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Would you be installing them yourself or having a shop do them? Remember you need a tune when you do them also.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:06 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 04 kevinp gt
It's a moderate job, nothing an intermediate mechanic with a shop manual can't figure out. The valve covers and the front cover have to come off to get at them, then it's not that hard to unbolt them and put the new ones in.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Roush2002
3rd Gear Member

if you go cams you should first consider your future mods. For example do you plan on doing F/I in the future? I would lay out a plan of what you want to do with the car so you dont end up wasting money down the road.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:10 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 04 kevinp gt
Both are a PITA, but with cams there isn't much room for error. If you are just doing a small cam, you won't need springs, and probably won't have to degree them (it's not a bad idea though). With that said, just a straight up cam only install won't be nearly as involved.

Adding long tubes will really pay off once the cams are in. You will be limiting the cams output with stock manifolds.

If you want the best possible gains, do the long tubes, with a catted pipe (since you don't want it to loud)
Old 07-23-2009, 02:12 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

cams will be a good start... I don't think you need worry about your ears bleeding unless you get SLP LM1s though
Old 07-23-2009, 02:24 PM
04 kevinp gt
1st Gear Member

Well my uncle is a mechanic so he would be helping me(doing everythign while i watch and hand him stuff) So should I buy a tuner gears and the cams all at once? Also I am not planning on F/I and If I do it wont be anywhere in the near future where money is going to matter.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:27 PM
04 kevinp gt
1st Gear Member

will a handheld tuner with a tune from AM or Brenspeed do the trick? or will i have to take it somewhere? I wonder if my uncle knows about tuning...He has a programmer(could be just a big *** scanner though not sure)

Quick Reply: cams instead of exhaust? help a noob out