4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Are the stereotypes true?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:34 AM
ztalon
2nd Gear Member

I'd rather buy something stock or close to stock. That probably fits the description of the majority of buyers of used cars, so that also makes your car sell easier if you have it stock or get it back to stock form when you sell it.

If I want to start modding a car, I'd rather start with a clean slate.

I think a lot of owners of modded cars treat their cars very well. On the other hand, there is also a pretty good chance that their cars are being treated harder too.

Now, if you know the previous owner, know the mods that he or she put on the car, and have driven it and liked it (including the mods)....then why not?
Old 07-30-2009, 09:00 AM
98MustangSTL
3rd Gear Member

I was just in this boat about a month ago. I used to have a 98 GT that I did everything to, including the PI Swap. I was used to having it all but decided to start with a clean slate....This time around I wanted to shortcut and buy modded, but my gut just shot me towards stock. I figure I can grow and bond with the car (put the blood, sweat, and tears in) And when I put headers on, I will make sure each bolt is tightened, change the pilot bearing when I put a new clutch in, have the speedo recalibrated when gears are in, use gasket sealer when a short throw is put in, etc.... When you start stock you can almost ensure yourself that things will be done correctly (that is if you've researched or know how to do things). However if you do buy modded I wouldn't buy a car that has a built motor (or claims to have one), plus many more. Mild mods are ok. Like everyone has said they all floor their car quite a bit, so having mods probably wouldn't be much different than stock. Sometimes people say look at the age of the person selling, but now days I feel like every and their grandma knows that no one wants to buy a modded Mustang from a 21 year old kid. Usually people that know their cars will be able to list mods correctly. Rather than something like this: You, "So what's done to the car?" Seller, "Well I have some exhaust work done with big headers on. And I have this cold air intake. The car is probably around 300 rwhp is I had to guess. I beat LS1's on a daily basis. I think this car has had something special done to it. Maybe the factory accidently said this was a GT. I've beaten those supercharged Cobra's. But yeah like I was saying, I have some stuff done to this thing. There's a slight lump in the idle, I'm pretty sure it's an aggressive cam (at least my dad says so). Damn mechanics were trying to say it was vacuum leak or something dumb. Psh. Anyways enough with the rant.... I remember having full exhaust, I kind of like just cruising around 2K rpms or so. It seemed like it sounded really nice then. The drone was perfect. No flooring needed. I'm sure some of you guys know what I'm talking about...

Last edited by 98MustangSTL; 07-30-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:31 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

I get on mine all the time, race it just about every weekend to every other weekend. It does tear em up, I have noticed a need for more maintenance since the season began. If I sold mine, I would be honest and say I treated her just like a hooker, I paid my money and rode it till it quit. Now, that isn't everybody either, you will get the guys that abuse theirs on a daily basis and will tell you straight faced they don't even know what WOT feels like. Of course, when I break something, it is just an excuse to go bigger and better.

I would buy a stocker, you can't guarantee it hasn't been abused, but at least it probably hasn't been ridden as hard as a modded mustang has. Plus, you get to do the work and the experience.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

I suppose it depends on the car. If the option were to buy a stock Mustang or for just a little more get forged internals, supercharger, gears, etc. installed by a reputable shop then I'd buy the modded car. It also depends on how far they are pushing the limits with their mods. I would probably pass by a supercharged car with stock internals pushing 425 rwhp but go for one pushing 380. This stuff is expensive and if you can find a good deal then go for it. As you shop for a car just remember the old saying, "If you want it bad, you'll get it bad." Meaning don't let your emotions over rule your head.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:45 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

when my car is running, i beat the **** out of it....thats what i bought it for....if it breaks, oh well...just means that part needed upgraded anyways
Old 07-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Sonic_Stang
1st Gear Member

I went through this same exact delema when I sold my 99 V6 mustang and was looking for a V8. I came across a 2001 V8 With 120k on the clock and was very surprised when the asking price was $2500. The guy who owned it admitted he beat it up pretty bad, it had 4.10 that were whining and a little bit of body damage. I took it for a test drive and fell in love with the car. I ended up paying 2k for it. If there are any major problems with a car you can usually find out by taking it for a test drive and pushing it a little. If it drives good and you feel good about it then go for it. Just think about how hard you are going to push the car and prepare the car for it. If you are going to be dragging it and are gonna run NOS read about the things that could go wrong and prepare for it. 4.6 Liter 2V Motor is a Strong *** engine though if you ask me!
Old 07-30-2009, 11:27 AM
loweredfourpointsix
2nd Gear Member

not to be a dick but, why do people say "NOS"? i thought it was nitrous

Old 07-30-2009, 11:39 AM
Sonic_Stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by loweredfourpointsix
not to be a dick but, why do people say "NOS"? i thought it was nitrous

NOS
Noun.
1) An acronym for the brand name 'Nitrous Oxide Systems'. NOS produces a chemical known as nitrous oxide, often used in the performance optimization of car and motorcycle engines. The chemical (N2O) breaks up upon contact with air, releasing extra oxygen into the engine. This often means that oxygen detectors in modern cars pick up the extra oxygen and add more fuel to the a/f mixture. This means the engine will pack a harder punch than it typically would, in the form of an instant flywheel horsepower gain.

I wondered the same thing, when in doubt
Old 07-30-2009, 11:48 AM
loweredfourpointsix
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic_Stang
NOS
Noun.
1) An acronym for the brand name 'Nitrous Oxide Systems'. NOS produces a chemical known as nitrous oxide, often used in the performance optimization of car and motorcycle engines. The chemical (N2O) breaks up upon contact with air, releasing extra oxygen into the engine. This often means that oxygen detectors in modern cars pick up the extra oxygen and add more fuel to the a/f mixture. This means the engine will pack a harder punch than it typically would, in the form of an instant flywheel horsepower gain.

I wondered the same thing, when in doubt
"Nos Nitrous Oxide Systems"
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NOS+Nitrous+Oxide+Systems

NOS is a brand dude..
Old 07-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Sonic_Stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by loweredfourpointsix
"Nos Nitrous Oxide Systems"
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NOS+Nitrous+Oxide+Systems

NOS is a brand dude..
Oh my bad i misunderstood your question, I was saying if your running NOS "Nitrous Oxide Systems" you'll wanna research people who have ran the particular system haha I like that google video thing.

Quick Reply: Are the stereotypes true?