4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

CHECK THIS OUT

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:23 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Mac LTs, Mac O/R H pipe and Magnaflow catback for a deep muscle car sound. Flows sound good also.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:29 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nascrchi

So, what would be the best set up that makes a car sound like a bad *** muscle car? what combination as far as engine and exhaust and why just to convince.
try searching.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:27 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

the way your car sounds right now is fine man. that is pretty much the same exact setup i have minus the shorty headers(which dont add sound anyways). H pipes are too monotone for my tastes. the o/r will give you the hollow muscle car sound and the x will give it more character and distinction...especially while on the highway. Just keep what you have now and just save the money for something else.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:51 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

That's what I heard. Maybe I heard wrong but I'm learning. lol
Anyways, this guy said that longtubes are for high end power. And shortys are for low end and they're mostly for TQ. Is that true?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:55 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
I gained 20 rwhp and 57 rwtq on the juice, with just the addition of long tubes.

Sorry, but that theory is wrong!
Anyways, this guy said that longtubes are for high end power. And shortys are for low end and they're mostly for TQ. Is that true?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:57 PM
mrsinister2424
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
the way your car sounds right now is fine man. that is pretty much the same exact setup i have minus the shorty headers(which dont add sound anyways). H pipes are too monotone for my tastes. the o/r will give you the hollow muscle car sound and the x will give it more character and distinction...especially while on the highway. Just keep what you have now and just save the money for something else.
Bull****. Shorties DO change the sound of your exhaust. Usually a little deeper, and a little louder.

Shorties don't provide the power gains that LTs do. LTs are definitely the better route, however are illegal in CA. Also, all shorties besides the JBAs are illegal in CA as well.

If you want to figure out what else is out there, go listen to youtube. Everyone is going to have different opinions. I had people telling me my o/r x and flows setup sounded good. But I thought it sounded ****ing horrible. Sounds like a piece of **** 60's truck. I had that setup for all of about 1 week, and ordered MACs. I rode around with MAC and an o/r x for a while, then broke down and ordered an o/r h. Never looked back.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:17 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrsinister2424
Bull****. Shorties DO change the sound of your exhaust. Usually a little deeper, and a little louder.

Shorties don't provide the power gains that LTs do. LTs are definitely the better route, however are illegal in CA. Also, all shorties besides the JBAs are illegal in CA as well.

If you want to figure out what else is out there, go listen to youtube. Everyone is going to have different opinions. I had people telling me my o/r x and flows setup sounded good. But I thought it sounded ****ing horrible. Sounds like a piece of **** 60's truck. I had that setup for all of about 1 week, and ordered MACs. I rode around with MAC and an o/r x for a while, then broke down and ordered an o/r h. Never looked back.
im about to upload my outside clip. Then let me know wassup.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:21 AM
mrsinister2424
3rd Gear Member

im about to upload my outside clip. Then let me know wassup.
You can upload whatever you want bud. I'm not sure if you understand what I'm telling you.... I HAD YOUR EXACT EXHAUST COMBO. I KNOW WHAT THE **** IT SOUNDS LIKE.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:49 AM
SilverGT03
3rd Gear Member

if you live in cali and need to pass emissions a catted x and some sss terminator mufflers would be very nice
Old 08-07-2009, 08:31 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

That's cool! We all have to start somewhere. There's too much BS out there! Long tubes make better high and low end power...period! They will also sound better.

Now, on a bolt on only stang, the peak numbers may not be much higher with long tubes, but the area under the curve will usually be higher...thus having more high/low (total power) power. When you do some sort of forced induction, this all changes. Long tubes will kill shorties (by a much larger margin) in every way.

Quick Reply: CHECK THIS OUT