4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Working on the car

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 12:40 AM
apeterman
1st Gear Member

Oh I for sure am. I don't want to be another statistic. I am taking it to the DIY shop on post. use all the right tools.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:21 AM
True Blue Racing
2nd Gear Member

When i painted my calipers i first hit it with a wire wheel to get all the debis and what not off of it. Then i used tractor enamel. havent had a single piece flake off yet.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:00 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

OP, you dont have a lug wrench in your trunk to change the tires with incase of a flat??? And as for tranny fluid, ive heard that you wanna go with GM's synchromesh tranny fluid as its the best out there. Smoothest shifting and such. And it is mercon 3 i believe as well which is what we need. So make sure you got mercon 3 tranny fluid before you put it in.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:03 AM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by apeterman
Oh I for sure am. I don't want to be another statistic. I am taking it to the DIY shop on post. use all the right tools.

haha yea well if you do become a statistic i know a guy with a nice set of pi heads for sale. lol
Old 08-07-2009, 01:01 PM
apeterman
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
OP, you dont have a lug wrench in your trunk to change the tires with incase of a flat??? And as for tranny fluid, ive heard that you wanna go with GM's synchromesh tranny fluid as its the best out there. Smoothest shifting and such. And it is mercon 3 i believe as well which is what we need. So make sure you got mercon 3 tranny fluid before you put it in.
Sure don't. Didn't have it when I bought the car. I know right! But even if I did it still wouldn't work. Where the lug nuts are is tapered and need a real skinny lug socket. I have tried 4 different lug nut wrenches. If I have ever a flat the wife is getting called for sure. At least the spare tire is in there and jack. Just no wrench.

I would love to get a set of PI heads, just not in the budget right now unless they are el cheapo.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:54 PM
apeterman
1st Gear Member

Finally completed the task at hand. After 6 hours of changing spark plugs, fuel filter, transmission fluid and painting the calipers I am done. What a DAY!

Everything is going smoothly. Painted the calipers no problem. Look awesome. Next is draining the transmission fluid. Check too easy. Next replace fuel filter. Done. Drop the car change plugs, remove shifter boot for access to tranny fill plug. Plugs changed. Check. Fill tranny with RP. Check. Go to pull out of the bay. ERROR!!! FUEL LEAK!!!!!!!

My heart sunk. Every time I try to be nice to my car she craps on me. PITA. But I love her. Connection from fuel inlet and to filter leaking like crazy. Look at the pan I had under the filter when it was changed and see a plastic piece with an o-ring. Okay no biggie. Wrong. Long story short no matter what I did it kept leaking. Go to Autozone for a new o-ring. Cost me $.02 that's right $.02. Go back put it in and wala. No more leak. She runs like a champ now. And the calipers look good.

Be careful when pulling the lines off the filter something might fall out. And not the easiest thing to figure out how to put together again. Why does Ford put a plastic ring, o-ring and another plastic ring in the line? I have no idea. But she is done.

i will take pics tomorrow and post pics of the brakes. Dark and time to drink a bunch of cold ones. LONG DAY!
Old 08-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by apeterman
Finally completed the task at hand. After 6 hours of changing spark plugs, fuel filter, transmission fluid and painting the calipers I am done. What a DAY!

Everything is going smoothly. Painted the calipers no problem. Look awesome. Next is draining the transmission fluid. Check too easy. Next replace fuel filter. Done. Drop the car change plugs, remove shifter boot for access to tranny fill plug. Plugs changed. Check. Fill tranny with RP. Check. Go to pull out of the bay. ERROR!!! FUEL LEAK!!!!!!!

My heart sunk. Every time I try to be nice to my car she craps on me. PITA. But I love her. Connection from fuel inlet and to filter leaking like crazy. Look at the pan I had under the filter when it was changed and see a plastic piece with an o-ring. Okay no biggie. Wrong. Long story short no matter what I did it kept leaking. Go to Autozone for a new o-ring. Cost me $.02 that's right $.02. Go back put it in and wala. No more leak. She runs like a champ now. And the calipers look good.

Be careful when pulling the lines off the filter something might fall out. And not the easiest thing to figure out how to put together again. Why does Ford put a plastic ring, o-ring and another plastic ring in the line? I have no idea. But she is done.

i will take pics tomorrow and post pics of the brakes. Dark and time to drink a bunch of cold ones. LONG DAY!
Damn man you been putting work in! LoL. What next on the to-do list?
Old 08-07-2009, 11:48 PM
apeterman
1st Gear Member

Too much to list. I have so many things that I want to do, but money doesn;t grow on the trees I have here. But at the place I do my work at they have a separate body shop. All you have to do is prep your own car, buy paint and a guy paints it for free. So I think that may be next on the list. There is some sun fading and dents that need to be fixed. Then onto to the go fast parts. I hate having an ugly looking car.

I did all that work today on one leg too. Man my good foot hurts and is stressed out.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:00 AM
mrsinister2424
3rd Gear Member

Too much to list. I have so many things that I want to do, but money doesn;t grow on the trees I have here. But at the place I do my work at they have a separate body shop. All you have to do is prep your own car, buy paint and a guy paints it for free. So I think that may be next on the list. There is some sun fading and dents that need to be fixed. Then onto to the go fast parts. I hate having an ugly looking car.

I did all that work today on one leg too. Man my good foot hurts and is stressed out.
I hear ya on the ugly looking car thing. Every little thing that I didn't like on my car bugged the **** out of me, until I fixed it.

On a side note..... the wife is out of town.... go pick up some girls with your roadster!

Old 08-08-2009, 12:32 AM
apeterman
1st Gear Member

Hahaha lol its kinda hard with a broke foot. Should have never ran from the cops. Tried to climb a fence and my foot got stuck in top of it and snap my three middle bones in my right foot.

So I just had to go and drive the car again and made sure she was good to go. She sure was smokin out the tailpipes. Didn't smell like anything just white smoke cool night I guess and burning off some crap from new plugs and some tranny fluid on the exhaust.

Quick Reply: Working on the car