4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Ordered the Kenne Bell

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:25 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

Default Ordered the Kenne Bell

I'm so pumped for this thing to come!!! I ordered the 2.1L Intercooled @ 9psi. I also got the big tube kit, 90mm MAF, and a switch chip to go along with it. After talking to Matt he said they would do the best they could to tune the chip because I have LTs, but he recommended getting it dynoed for a better tune. Hopefully I can run the un-dynoed chip for a while without many problems. I'll definitely update when I get this thing on my car!
Old 08-10-2009, 08:36 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

CONGRATS! You def. need to put up pics and the numbers your pushing after install. I wish I could afford to install a KB.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Tyler2001GT
1st Gear Member

Congrats! good luck with it.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

CONGRATS!! I may be pulling the KB trigger this week too as well.

However....it sounds like you're going to try to run it for a while without a dyno tune....being that you have LTs I think its really worth the 100-200 bucks to throw it on a dyno/wideband and see where the A/F is. Would hate to ruin that awesome project cuz you wanted to save a few hundred bucks and instead you're left with a broken connecting rod and a hole in your block.

You doing the install?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:13 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

I hate you....

congrats on the blower
Old 08-10-2009, 10:39 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by Hangwire
CONGRATS!! I may be pulling the KB trigger this week too as well.

However....it sounds like you're going to try to run it for a while without a dyno tune....being that you have LTs I think its really worth the 100-200 bucks to throw it on a dyno/wideband and see where the A/F is. Would hate to ruin that awesome project cuz you wanted to save a few hundred bucks and instead you're left with a broken connecting rod and a hole in your block.

You doing the install?
My local shop wants $450 for a dyno tune, so I figured I'd hold off on that one for a little while. You just think I should dyno it and not get it tuned to see the numbers it's putting out? Here are the options from the local shop:

Option 1: Base and Backup Run. This allows you one base and backup run only. $199

Option 2: Five Run Session. This allows you to make up to five runs with the ability to make tuning adjustments between runs. The time limit on this option is two hours from the start of your first run. If more runs are needed, a charge of $25 per run will be applied after the completion of your fifth run. This option is limited to one vehicle only. $349

Option 3: Daily Rental. The daily rental session runs from 9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. This is limited to a maximum of two vehicles. $599

Option 4: P and J Speed Shop "Power Tune" Package. This is where we use our many years of experience to squeeze every ounce of power out of your vehicle. We will spend up to eight hours on the Dynojet to assure you the BEST possible results. This option is backed by the P and J Power Dollar Guarantee. If we can't show you an increase in horsepower and torque, you don't pay. We guarantee results! A complete dyno graph and numerical printout will be provided upon completion. Minor tuning parts such as spark plugs, carb jets, distributor springs, etc., are included. $449

Can anyone suggest another shop nearby Buffalo, NY.. or are these prices reasonable? Anywhere from Northern PA to Northeastern Ohio or Central NY is fine.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:17 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

450 is about average for a good tuner on f/i setups.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:30 PM
torchstang02
1st Gear Member

how much did the KB setup cost you if i can be nosie
Old 08-10-2009, 11:52 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Well john lund tunes all of evolution performance's gt500's pushing over 1000hp. He is in the philly area...which seems a little out of your range but he is one of the best on the east coast. But he does travel to tune as well. But that seems a bit high to me. Id just go to a local dyno day and do 2 runs with wideband to check your a/f ratio and if that is where its supposed to be, then dont worry about it for right now. But if its over 11.8, id get it tuned.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:22 AM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by torchstang02
how much did the KB setup cost you if i can be nosie
haha no problem:

$4999.00 for the 2.1L Intercooled Blower at 9psi w/ injectors and a basic chip

$573.00 for a 90mm MAF, Big Tube kit, Cold Air kit (CAI and big tube re-route the actual intake to the fender for colder air) and a switch chip with 2 different modes

$140.00 for shipping

and since I'm installing it myself.. free labor! woo!

Quick Reply: Ordered the Kenne Bell