4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Anyone with QUALITY aftermarket seats?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:31 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Default Anyone with QUALITY aftermarket seats?

Picture this:

Your done with school and climb in your sexy *** performance red GT convertible. On the drive home you approach a nice windy road and decide to give it some throttle. During the course of your shenanigans, you seem to be having trouble staying in the POD "leather" seats that come with your car.

Does this situation sound familiar to anyone? I know I am sick and damn tired of it myself. I can barely concentrate when I go to autox events because half way through a 90* turn im driving from the passenger seat. Its ridiculous.

So basically, I am talking to Corbeau about making me a custom set of front seats.

They will be based off the TRS series of seats. Clicky

I am having them do a tan center in microsuede with a black outlining around the bolsters and at the top. They are sending me out some fabric samples so i can pick the right color tan to match my interior.

The reason for this post is to get opinions on if Corbeau is worth the price or not. Should I contact Sparco and have them make me some, or is there a better way; enlighten me if there is! I got quoted right at 800 a seat to get it done. This doesnt seem to bad when you look at it from this point of view:

Numb nuts seem to think that used 03-04 cobra seats are somehow worth 1200+, and this is for the regular colors. I have seen Tan 03-04 cobras being sold for 1500+... FAK THAT.

And before anyone suggests them(out your big girl shorts on before you read this so you dont get butthurt if this comment pertains to you)

Dont recommend summitt seats etc.. those things are crap.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:49 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Not racing seats, but I want to go with TMI and redo my '99GT's seats Mach 1 style.
http://www.tmiproducts.com/
You may have to call on availability, they haven't updated the site in a bit, but I know they selling them.
They just started doing the reupholstery seat covers for the SN95 this summer.
Right now that project is on hold until we get saved up for the '65 coupe we are trying to get.
Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 08-25-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:03 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

I don't have anything to offer about Corbeau or others but with respect to mach 1 seats, I would say if you're going to bother upgrading your seats, the mach 1 seats are not all that great. Yes they are contoured and offer a little improvement over GT seats, but honestly I feel like the fact that they try to be more racing style seats but aren't up to par, make me want full-out racing seats more than I did when I had the GT. Unless you really care about the retro styling, I would advise anyone looking into them to go big or risk being disappointed.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:07 PM
DS002
3rd Gear Member

Is $1600 for seats really worth it? Hunsaker does custom seats as well and they wont charge you out the *** for them, I know their quality is only middle of the road though. Have you looked into bride seats? i had some buddies with them back in my import days and i always loved sitting in a bride seat.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:10 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DS002
Is $1600 for seats really worth it? Hunsaker does custom seats as well and they wont charge you out the *** for them, I know their quality is only middle of the road though. Have you looked into bride seats? i had some buddies with them back in my import days and i always loved a sitting in a bride seat.
Na i havnt checked out bride. I made this thread because I am not brand myopic , but I dont want crap.

But yes, for 1600 I think its worth it. For some bad *** seats that will hug and actually work...priceless lol.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:12 PM
HateWhatOwnsYou
2nd Gear Member

i couldnt see spendin 1600 on 2 seats. yea it would be nice to not slide around in my seat anymore, but i will cover my seat in skateboard grip tape before i drop 1600 on seats.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:14 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HateWhatOwnsYou
i couldnt see spendin 1600 on 2 seats. yea it would be nice to not slide around in my seat anymore, but i will cover my seat in skateboard grip tape before i drop 1600 on seats.
You guys got to understand also that I dont just drag race my car.. I take these things called turns.. its beneficial to stay in 1 spot lol. My car is already as fat as it will ever be. I may put in some cams.. i doubt it though. There is only a few more things left to change on the car.. seats are the big one.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:19 PM
DS002
3rd Gear Member

Yea but you could achieve that easily with just a plain set of corbeaus, sparcos, etc. Is the custom color combo really neccessary? $800 a seat is double what they normally go for. Whatever floats your boat but Id rather spend that other $800 on parts then pretty seats.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:22 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

jegs has racing seats for like $40 plus $30 for a seat cover or something ridiculous....saw it in the catalog...doooo it!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:30 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DS002
Yea but you could achieve that easily with just a plain set of corbeaus, sparcos, etc. Is the custom color combo really neccessary? $800 a seat is double what they normally go for. Whatever floats your boat but Id rather spend that other $800 on parts then pretty seats.
Im sorry but I am not putting a non matching seat in my car; it looks retarded. .. if i had a black interior it would not be a big deal.. I liked tan better so along with it came this issue. Some people choose to spend there money on bumpers and hoods...id rather have nice seats.

Quick Reply: Anyone with QUALITY aftermarket seats?