4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Take a look at this Cobra for sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:36 PM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

Default Take a look at this Cobra for sale

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/1340395261.html

I called the guy on it and hes a 52 year old mechanic that was dropping F-bombs every other word. He was kinda freakin me out a little bit but whatever. He said hes the second of third owner of it and he also said he paid 14k for it. Said he sent out all the valve covers out to go and get chromed. Said is nearly immaculate. He put the wheels and tires on it and they only have 20 miles on them. Anyhow, I plan on going to look at it later tonight. If it's something that I think is viable, I would ask my pops if I could try and sell my Mustang and get this one. I like my body more, but just the fact that it's a Cobra with low miles and a lot of extras makes me warm and fuzzy inside. What should I look out for engine, drivetrain wise with this car? What are your guys' thoughts on it?

He said hes driven about 5,000k since he's had it. Also hes replaces the brakes (or pads, not sure), and the rear control arms as well as installed "factory" ford springs and headers. Sounds like he doesn't really know a lot about these cars for a mechanic, but it definitely looks clean. He said there was a bra on it and has a little fading on the front. If my PC wouldn't get it out, I wouldn't buy it I don't think.

This car is a definite long shot because my folks would probably kill me because I said my current Mustang is is my dream car and will never sell it lol. It's also a manual and the insurance may be higher.

I will try to take more pics tonight and update the post.

Let me know thoughts and advice!!
Old 08-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Fobra
Banned

honestly, I know your not going to like this but, even if you get this cobra.. your still going to be slow... just faster than your current GT. Your better off modding, getting some heads, supercharger, etc.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:47 PM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

Honestly, I know your not going to like this, but speed isn't everything to me. I definitely want a car capable of a mid 13 second 1/4 mile. I like the look of the Cobra and the cleanliness of the engine/bay. The Cobra books for nearly 10k and my car books for only 7,500 lol.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Ke^in

Anyone that calls a Cobra slow is ... well.. slow. NOW if he wants to keep up with highly modded cars that are as fast as his was stock, yes he will have to get upgraded. But the Cobra is by no means slow.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:55 PM
TheMustang
2nd Gear Member

I know you're not going to like this but.....give me a break. If you like the cobra then buy the damn thing. It's a much better platform to start with and the're sexy.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:58 PM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

Speed, once again, is not everything. Mid 13's are all I am looking for. The fact that it's a Cobra and had a completely chrome endien compartment, es muy bien para mi.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:00 PM
TheMustang
2nd Gear Member

Cobra es pinche bueno!
Old 08-27-2009, 03:14 PM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

Yo say...yo say. Lol, TheMustang, could you PM or post some pics of your car? What wheels and suspension are you running? It looks good in your profile pic.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:18 PM
TheMustang
2nd Gear Member

I am running 18x9 95' cobra r replicas (which are for sale) and Eibach Sportline Springs.

^ Old Picture.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:24 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Be careful buying cars from people who claim to be mechanics. Not always, but they tend to be shady deals. They try and instill a feeling of trust because they are a mechanic... but really all that means is they know how to keep the thing running until you drive away with it.

Quick Reply: Take a look at this Cobra for sale