4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

hello everyone

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 02:22 AM
99$tangGT

Default hello everyone

Hey guys, well this is my first time EVER owning a ford and being on this site,.....ive always been a chevy man, and i was really into imports (nissans for the most part) until i traded my 95 nissan 240sx kouki for a 99 mustang GT. Ive always said if i got a ford....it would be a Mustang! The sound is unmistakable! I couldn't believe this 18 year old kid traded me straight up for my 240. Now i don't know alot about mustangs but this one sound BADASS!!!! Its got BBK headers, bassani exhaust,BBk cold air intake, HUGH baer front brakes, new paint, the list goes on. Ill post pics up later. Im still in shock guys.....If anyone can give me some advice on some of the pros and cons of this year and model, i would appreciate it. thanks guys

Last edited by 99$tangGT; 09-10-2009 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:00 AM
mustangchris09
2nd Gear Member

Well you definitely upgraded lol, and i see you live in georgia too, what part? But as for your question, i really cant think of any other than the fact that this is the first year of the change over so there are a few weird things as far as it goes, and the stereos are crap in this year. Atleast mine is. Oh and the fact that its a 35th anniversary and the insurance is more expensive. I had an 03 gt and insurance was 40 bucks cheaper than my 35th anniversary gt.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Roush2002
3rd Gear Member

congrats on the stang! where in Ga are you?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:59 AM
mustangchris09
2nd Gear Member

If your talking to me, im in kennesaw.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

Nice, welcome to the mustang world, sounds like you already got some nice mods that came with the beast

Now time for some gears, and a super charge
Old 09-10-2009, 01:24 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

some of the early PI 4.6 have trouble with a plastic coolant crossover, which is an easy fix, umm i think you still have 4 threads in your sparkplug holes so when u change ur plugs make sure you torque them correctly <--- this is important! just use a tq wrench and tq them to spec. If its a manual the synchros like to go bad but you can usually get over 100k out of em before they start to slip unless you powershift like john force.

oh and +1 to gears (4.10s) gears are the best "cheap mod" for 1/4 mile results and seat of your pants power.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:27 PM
99$tangGT

Sorry for the late reply...i work nightshift and i sleep all day. They guy replaced the coolant crossover already, so thats done. Said it had gears put in...Not sure what kind, guessing 4.10. The car only has 80k miles on it and the tranny seems pretty solid. Just had a new clutch put in before i got it. And for the first question...The insurance is the same as my 240, $280.00 every six months, For liablilty.

The only problem with the car is it kinda skips when im crusin in 5th at low rpms. Guy said it had some crappy spark plugs in it? figured id change them any way. Oyea. and they took out the oil dipstick? I can put another one in, it will just have to be bent to clear the headers...PS>>>>i live in habersham ga., and how do you insert pics on here?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:56 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99$tangGT
Sorry for the late reply...i work nightshift and i sleep all day. They guy replaced the coolant crossover already, so thats done. Said it had gears put in...Not sure what kind, guessing 4.10. The car only has 80k miles on it and the tranny seems pretty solid. Just had a new clutch put in before i got it. And for the first question...The insurance is the same as my 240, $280.00 every six months, For liablilty.

The only problem with the car is it kinda skips when im crusin in 5th at low rpms. Guy said it had some crappy spark plugs in it? figured id change them any way. Oyea. and they took out the oil dipstick? I can put another one in, it will just have to be bent to clear the headers...PS>>>>i live in habersham ga., and how do you insert pics on here?
As someone stated before above. Make sure you torque the spark plugs down correctly...Or you'll be posting on here about where to find helicoil.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:59 PM
99$tangGT

ok, thanks! whats the torque specs on the spark plugs?
Originally Posted by ct_white_stang
As someone stated before above. Make sure you torque the spark plugs down correctly...Or you'll be posting on here about where to find helicoil.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:26 AM
Riggs
1st Gear Member

Not sure why the guy wouldn't have put back in the oil dip stick tube. You have to take it out to put LT's on but to put it back in its just a little bit of pushing and an 8mm bolt. I would just try a junk yard probably pick one up for 5 bucks.

Anyways sounds like a nice car, post up some pics and/or videos

Riggs-