4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

My plans give me some input.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 08:06 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpoonyGT
Trickflows are just outrageous (2k I could have a blower!) Ported would only run me about 500. Your def correct about the shot I may go to a 100 shot and tune the car for nitrous.
What are your long run plans for the car? Are you planning on just these mods and leaving things be or going for a monster? Do you plan on a blower setup in the future or will this be a nitrous car for good? If you're going for as much as you can get out of it, the 2k on the trickflow heads will be worth it, especially if you decide to port them down the road and have a set of cams custom ground to match your engine combination. If this is all you plan, then yes, a ported set of PIs, especially if you find a used pair cheap, will suffice for what you want to accomplish.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Capt Hair
why not forget the N20 and the K member and the port and save a little more for a used blower setup? Then you would have your suspension work and cams and a blower. Just what i would do
Old 09-11-2009, 02:03 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

i think rear axle wise your confusing the 03 cobra carrier and axles with the mach stuff. The mach axles are virtually identicle to the GT axles except i believe they came with 355s
Old 09-11-2009, 02:57 PM
SpoonyGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Capt Hair
why not forget the N20 and the K member and the port and save a little more for a used blower setup? Then you would have your suspension work and cams and a blower. Just what i would do
I'm not really looking for a blower car as a Daily Driver. I know I can simply not go into as much boost and drive it daily but I also am not concerned with having 400rwhp all the time. The nitrous is perfect because with ported heads and cams I would around or above 300rwhp with bolt ons for a DD. That would be good for around a 110 trap (all things considered suspension, sticky tires, etc) and then when I go to the track, I can throw 100 hit on it and trap higher/run better ETs. I don't plan on investing A LOT of money into the car or throwing a blower on it because I don't want/need 385rwhp+ as a daily in rain or snow. My goals are 300+rwhp NA and 400+ with the hit. Trap speed goal is 115 on spray and ET goal is mid to low twelves. Someone told me the machs had stronger axles guess he was wrong so ill go with some 31 spline mosers. Keep the input comin I appreciate the advice!!
Old 09-11-2009, 03:14 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I'm not really looking for a blower car as a Daily Driver. I know I can simply not go into as much boost and drive it daily but I also am not concerned with having 400rwhp all the time. The nitrous is perfect because with ported heads and cams I would around or above 300rwhp with bolt ons for a DD. That would be good for around a 110 trap (all things considered suspension, sticky tires, etc) and then when I go to the track, I can throw 100 hit on it and trap higher/run better ETs. I don't plan on investing A LOT of money into the car or throwing a blower on it because I don't want/need 385rwhp+ as a daily in rain or snow. My goals are 300+rwhp NA and 400+ with the hit. Trap speed goal is 115 on spray and ET goal is mid to low twelves. Someone told me the machs had stronger axles guess he was wrong so ill go with some 31 spline mosers. Keep the input comin I appreciate the advice!!
If you are going nitrous with cams, just make sure to get a grind that has a decent exhaust centerline (nothing crazy though. You still want good n/a power) so it'll run good on the juice as well.

By making sure that the exhaust gases get out at a decent rate (on juice) you'll also keep internal temps down, which will ensure you don't overstress or melt anything.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:01 PM
SpoonyGT
2nd Gear Member

What would be a decent exhaust centerline for N20 cams? I've read the hi techs love the nitrous and produce great NA power on a not so high revving setup. I'm only planning to rev to 6200rpms on a stock bottom end. Nothing too insane.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

If it is a street car I would go with a blower instead of nitrous. With a blower you always have the power on tap whenever you need it and with juice your timing is usually retarded lower so when driving on the street you are making even less power.

Either way alot of fun!
Old 09-11-2009, 08:54 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Trickflow heads and custom cams will net you about 350-360 rwhp all the time...why not just do that and not have to worry about the juice. And then you can do the rest of like suspension and rear end to handle your power. Then buy slicks and you'll be set for your mid 12's. My friend has only 345rwhp on the 125 shot...so i think N/A power is better man more reliable.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:47 AM
SpoonyGT
2nd Gear Member

325 on a 125 shot? What's done to the car?
Old 09-12-2009, 09:03 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

What would be a decent exhaust centerline for N20 cams? I've read the hi techs love the nitrous and produce great NA power on a not so high revving setup. I'm only planning to rev to 6200rpms on a stock bottom end. Nothing too insane.
While the Hitech cams will do okay with nitrous, they're not going to as good a say CMS stage 2 cams, which have more exhaust duration.

If you are looking to only spray once in a while the Hitechs will be fine.

Quick Reply: My plans give me some input.