4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:14 AM
lcdt94
2nd Gear Member

Default Ideas?

Hey guys I need some direction on where I should take my car. It's a 2001 Mustang GT and there's a dent on the front driver quarterpanel and the paint is getting down to the primer. It's been outdoors all of its life. There's really no point in selling it because it's my only car, it's pretty much worthless, and it works just fine, I just want something faster.

Anyhow, I already know pretty much that the 2vs are junk when it comes to bolt ons. The transmission is a 4r70w, so it'd have some real drag potential if I got it built. I'm wanting to make some pretty serious numbers cheaply. I'd like to get it in the low 12s for now and eventually in the low 10s or high 9s and still have it streetable. When it comes to cars I'm really just a fluids and filters kind of guy. Don't get me wrong I know my **** when it comes to the design of different trannies/parts and what have you, but I don't have any hands on experience. A built tranny, forged internals, lsd, 10.5 in wheels with 315s, full exhaust, and direct port nitrous kit (150-500 jets) should cost me about $10k for parts and labor, right?

I really just want to have a nearly untouchable street car, and I have about $5k saved up right now. Would building this 2v up be my best bet or would I be better off going with something a little more mod friendly like a termi or a ls1?
Old 09-16-2009, 08:01 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

You definitely wont be "untouchable" without a power adder. And even with that you will be far from "untouchable" on the street...who knows what youl run into. Nitrous isnt very street friendly to start with....and considering you have the money to go with much more cost friendly options...why bother with nitrous? I say supercharge it to start with and then build the rear-end/tranny from there. But in order to be truely untouchable youl need a fully forged block + FI.

Supercharger + intercooler setup $2,500-$6,000
3800 Stall Converter $300-$1000
315's on the rear $300-$450

From there if ya still got cash....
Upper and lower control arms
Subframe connectors
Exhaust if you havent done it yet

Last edited by Hangwire; 09-16-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:09 AM
lcdt94
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
You definitely wont be "untouchable" without a power adder. And even with that you will be far from "untouchable" on the street...who knows what youl run into. Nitrous isnt very street friendly to start with....and considering you have the money to go with much more cost friendly options...why bother with nitrous? I say supercharge it to start with and then build the rear-end/tranny from there. But in order to be truely untouchable youl need a fully forged block + FI.

Supercharger + intercooler setup $2,500-$6,000
3800 Stall Converter $300-$1000
315's on the rear $300-$450

From there if ya still got cash....
Upper and lower control arms
Subframe connectors
Exhaust if you havent done it yet
How isn't nitrous streetable? I'm not talking about the coincidental stop light kind of runs. I don't think there is any way you can run 10s with a stock bottom end. That will cost a good $2-3k alone. I was under the assumption that I'd need more than just a stall for the tranny to hold up with serious power. The way I see it is I could get a forged block + nitrous + built tranny + traction mods and the install costs for about $10k. I've heard really good things about direct port nitrous kits because you don't have to worry about the fuel puddling since it's injected directly into the cylinder. A supercharger would be nice, but I just don't see how I could run 10s with it on my budget. I just want to know if low 10s are feasible with nitrous on a $10k budget or if I'm better off buying an old fox or something similar and try to make that a 10 sec car.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Fobra
Banned

a 9 sec street 4.6 either 2v or 4v will be hard to come by. You going to have to push 20+lbs of boost at a min. , most likely with race gas. Even high 10's and and low 11's will be much easier to attain. If your dreaming of 8s and 9s and an "untouchable" street car, you need to look elsewhere than the 4.6 - at least if your on a budget or want something highly reliable. IMO your going to need/ or really more so want more displacement and alot better heads for those goals.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:22 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lcdt94
How isn't nitrous streetable? I'm not talking about the coincidental stop light kind of runs. I don't think there is any way you can run 10s with a stock bottom end. That will cost a good $2-3k alone. I was under the assumption that I'd need more than just a stall for the tranny to hold up with serious power. The way I see it is I could get a forged block + nitrous + built tranny + traction mods and the install costs for about $10k. I've heard really good things about direct port nitrous kits because you don't have to worry about the fuel puddling since it's injected directly into the cylinder. A supercharger would be nice, but I just don't see how I could run 10s with it on my budget. I just want to know if low 10s are feasible with nitrous on a $10k budget or if I'm better off buying an old fox or something similar and try to make that a 10 sec car.
I agree with what you're saying. This would probably be the only way to get into the 10's on your budget. It might be possible if you find a blower for extremely cheap, but even then i'm not sure.

You're gonna have use one hell of a shot of juice to get low 10's though.

Last edited by mrtstang; 09-16-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:24 AM
lcdt94
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fobra
a 9 sec street 4.6 either 2v or 4v will be hard to come by. You going to have to push 20+lbs of boost at a min. , most likely with race gas. Even high 10's and and low 11's will be much easier to attain. If your dreaming of 8s and 9s and an "untouchable" street car, you need to look elsewhere than the 4.6 - at least if your on a budget or want something highly reliable. IMO your going to need/ or really more so want more displacement and alot better heads for those goals.
I'd be happy with high 9s and low 10s. Will a 700-750 rwhp forged 2v really be all that unreliable? The 4vs seem to take that kind of power with no problem.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Fobra
Banned

Well 700rwhp or less is good to go... Its not really that its "unreliable" per se, but its not as reliable as a larger displacement motor with less boost. This will largely depend on how hard and often your going to run the car. The thing is that when you push mega boost, small problems become big problems quickly, thats also part of where my comment about race gas was directed, but that depends on what your willing to do, for me race gas is out of the question.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lcdt94
First off the 4r70w can handle just as much or more power than the manual. I wouldnt even start thinking about "building" its internals until 500RWHP+. And yes you are right you wont touch 10s with the stock bottom end. If you're so worried about 1/4th times then you're not really building a street car. Unfortunately you can't have the best of both worlds. Either you want to smoke fools at the christmas tree or have a street friendly stang.

Nitrous is very ideal at the strip where you only need it at specific times throughout the day. For a street stang you want to always be able to mash it and have fun. Having to worry about refilling a bottle and hitting a button every other turn around town is a huge hassle and runs a hole in your pocket. Not only this you have to build your block/tune around the nitrous....making your car an absolute dog outside of the few seconds its in spray. Thats NOT very street fun. And what about when you get low on the sauce or run out? Time to shut-down the fun.

You don't see how you can run 10's with a supercharger on a 10k budget, but you do with nitrous? Low 10's are less feasable on nitrous than a supercharger, not the other way around.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Fobra
Banned

Also dont trust the internet, blown up modulars are a dime a dozen (esp. in racing). Its one thing to buy a cobra, do a blower swap and be a weekend warrior, but its quite another to push 22lbs of boost, nitrous and hot lap that sucker for a season.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

700RWHP on a 2v 4.6 will run you 15k+

Quick Reply: Ideas?