4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Long tube install advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:41 AM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Default Long tube install advice

Alright, the epic install begins tomorrow night and goes through Sunday. I've been sick this week so I'm planning on taking it really slow so I dont get worn out lol.

I've searched all over the net for install guides and am probably going to follow the one from fnsweet (the guy with the green bullitt) pretty closely.

I have an engine hoist to support the engine from above. So I'm going to drop out the k-member completely.

Won't have air tools. Just PB blaster and a good 'ole breaker bar.

I'm buying a ratcheting wrench to fit the stock header nuts.

Heard it was way easier to use this than to try to fit a socket in there. Not sure on the size of the nuts though. 13mm? What's the best way to make sure I get the studs out with the nut? I need the studs out to use the stage 8 bolts.

I have stage 8 locking header bolts, new gaskets, and an egr delete plate and bung cap.

So other than the few questions tossed in there, any other advice you guys can offer? The two things I'm worried about are getting the studs out of the heads and getting the dipstick tube back in. I'm not paying $100 for a flexy tube. I'd rather bust up my knuckles making the original one fit.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:55 AM
jeffampt
1st Gear Member

Follow that thread to a T!!! We did it, it has the list of everything you will need to to do the build! I would also say make sure ya have some extra jacks with ya....it took us 22 hours to do my buddies......

There is one header bolt on the passenger side that will need to be ground down....I think it is the second one from the front of the motor....MAKE SURE YA DO IT!

I would say if ya have a buddy that would be willing to help, it would make it like 1000x easier.....there is some heavy **** under there! One thing I had a problem with was the top header bolts on the passenger side.....you have to drop the motor as far as it will go then jack the body up even a little bit more....those back few bolts are a pain in the ***!!!

Make sure you have a case of beer and a ton of cleaning stuff to wipe yourself off with!

Oh and I am not totally sure, we did the install on my friends GT, so I am not sure if there is a difference in the 4v or not.....I may look into that before tearing it all out of there. Looking at your sig I saw it was a MACH....so good luck PM me if ya want my number you are welcome to text me if ya run into any issues I can help ya out with

Last edited by jeffampt; 09-23-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:13 AM
agarr19
3rd Gear Member

i got some great advice....DONT DO IT! haha
Old 09-23-2009, 11:16 AM
SpoonyGT
2nd Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by jeffampt
Follow that thread to a T!!! We did it, it has the list of everything you will need to to do the build! I would also say make sure ya have some extra jacks with ya....it took us 22 hours to do my buddies......

There is one header bolt on the passenger side that will need to be ground down....I think it is the second one from the front of the motor....MAKE SURE YA DO IT!

I would say if ya have a buddy that would be willing to help, it would make it like 1000x easier.....there is some heavy **** under there! One thing I had a problem with was the top header bolts on the passenger side.....you have to drop the motor as far as it will go then jack the body up even a little bit more....those back few bolts are a pain in the ***!!!

Make sure you have a case of beer and a ton of cleaning stuff to wipe yourself off with!

Oh and I am not totally sure, we did the install on my friends GT, so I am not sure if there is a difference in the 4v or not.....I may look into that before tearing it all out of there. Looking at your sig I saw it was a MACH....so good luck PM me if ya want my number you are welcome to text me if ya run into any issues I can help ya out with
haha it took jeff and I forever!! I still have a drivers side leak on one of the top bolts. Its better than it was but I don't care what wrechs/sockets/off the wall tools you have its gonna be a pain in the ***. Be ready to be cursing and yelling a lot. Good luck
Old 09-23-2009, 11:34 AM
jeffampt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpoonyGT
haha it took jeff and I forever!! I still have a drivers side leak on one of the top bolts. Its better than it was but I don't care what wrechs/sockets/off the wall tools you have its gonna be a pain in the ***. Be ready to be cursing and yelling a lot. Good luck

HMMMM.....whos side of the install was that?? hahah Dammit Kasey for not pulling his own weight!
Old 09-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Riggs
1st Gear Member

I just did this install in the last month. Follow the fnsweet guide to the T. Make sure you follow the EGR part. If you don't attach it to the header before you bolt the header up, you will have some problems getting the tube in place.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Fobra
Banned

If you have a set of universals and small hands you dont have to drop the K. You can pull the starter and the brace, then the egr and then jack the motor up 2-3" and fish the headers in. It is a PITA though, I had to have a little friend help me lol.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:06 PM
jeffampt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fobra
If you have a set of universals and small hands you dont have to drop the K. You can pull the starter and the brace, then the egr and then jack the motor up 2-3" and fish the headers in. It is a PITA though, I had to have a little friend help me lol.
Ugh...I cant even begin to think how I ever would have done that....I could see shorties maybe
Old 09-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Fobra
Banned

haha it took like 6 hours... and ALOT of cursing
Old 09-23-2009, 06:35 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

It took me 20 mins......That is to drop off the car for someone else to deal with that headache...After I picked up the car and paid the price..all he said was there was nothing "fun" about that....Money well spent in my book.

Quick Reply: Long tube install advice