4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

The UPS man came today **Supension goodies inside**

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:00 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

You should get the remote adjusters. A lot of people that buy these shocks and struts buy the remote adjusters so that way you dont have to take the side panels out. Just an idea for you to spend more money
Old 09-25-2009, 02:57 PM
DS002
3rd Gear Member

The rears are in but unfortunatly without air tools I couldnt do the fronts or LCA's, so its at a shop now getting the fronts put in. I was hoping some PB blaster and my handheld impact would get the job done but it wasnt enough, neither was a big ****ing breaker bar unfortunatly.

Im actually just leaving those side panels out for now until i get a setting i like on the street, and when i reinstall them Im going to cut out a piece so I can always have access to the shock towers.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:58 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DS002
The rears are in but unfortunatly without air tools I couldnt do the fronts or LCA's, so its at a shop now getting the fronts put in. I was hoping some PB blaster and my handheld impact would get the job done but it wasnt enough, neither was a big ****ing breaker bar unfortunatly.

Im actually just leaving those side panels out for now until i get a setting i like on the street, and when i reinstall them Im going to cut out a piece so I can always have access to the shock towers.
That sucks u couldn't get them off, If u were near me I would give u a hand. Air tools are a necessity for working on those stubborn bolts. One thing u might want to consider if u don't plan on getting a tubular k member soon is the X2 ball joints. They kinda suck to put in but they are worth it, really helps the geometry of the front suspension.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:59 PM
DS002
3rd Gear Member

Yea those lower strut bolts are killer, there have been very few bolts I havent been able to get with just basic handtools. Those things were killer though, there was no chance they were coming out, had to wave the white flag and fork out some cash unfortunatly. The car is only going to be on the road through october and Ill hopefully pick up the K-member during the offseason.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:34 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Yea those lower strut bolts are killer, there have been very few bolts I havent been able to get with just basic handtools. Those things were killer though, there was no chance they were coming out, had to wave the white flag and fork out some cash unfortunatly. The car is only going to be on the road through october and Ill hopefully pick up the K-member during the offseason.
I couldn't imagine using hand tools on those bastards. lol. I had a hard time with the bolts on the back of the brake caliper. I had to use a cheater pipe because I couldn't maneuver the impact wrench in there.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:40 PM
DS002
3rd Gear Member

Just got back from a long drive through the adirondack mountains, probably went about 150 miles total. Saw a little bit of everything, some highway driving, back roads, and city driving. I screwed with the adjustments a lot and basically its not rocket science, right around 5 turns is a nice all around setting that improved the handling and ride quality over stock, 6 turns was a bit too soft for my taste. Once I hit the curvy mountain roads I pulled over and set them to 2.5 turns from full hard and all I can say is "holy ****". Its a night and day difference, the car feels extremly rigid and really hugs the road. Probably the best mod Ive done to my car yet, cant wait to see more improvements after stiffening up the chasis and other suspension components.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:49 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Just got back from a long drive through the adirondack mountains, probably went about 150 miles total. Saw a little bit of everything, some highway driving, back roads, and city driving. I screwed with the adjustments a lot and basically its not rocket science, right around 5 turns is a nice all around setting that improved the handling and ride quality over stock, 6 turns was a bit too soft for my taste. Once I hit the curvy mountain roads I pulled over and set them to 2.5 turns from full hard and all I can say is "holy ****". Its a night and day difference, the car feels extremly rigid and really hugs the road. Probably the best mod Ive done to my car yet, cant wait to see more improvements after stiffening up the chasis and other suspension components.
Thats great man! It's an amazing feeling when u upgrade handling in a car u have driven for a while. It feels like a totally different machine. I want D-specs or Bilsteins but I haven't decided on which ones yet.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:07 PM
DS002
3rd Gear Member

I was going to get the bilsteins then swapped at the last moment. I read about the normal bilsteins I think on MM's website and it says that the basic bilsteins actually arent setup to handle stiffer spring rates that are found in a lot of the springs for mustangs, thats why they offer the 2 other bilsteins for more rigid applications. But those ones are I believe $850 a set, I also read on here and a few other sites that the Bilsteins are not good for drag racing. The D-specs give you all the versatility you could possibly need. No matter if youre just driving on the street, going to the drag strip, or doing auto-x you know that the D-specs can be set to handle any situation.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:24 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

I was going to get the bilsteins then swapped at the last moment. I read about the normal bilsteins I think on MM's website and it says that the basic bilsteins actually arent setup to handle stiffer spring rates that are found in a lot of the springs for mustangs, thats why they offer the 2 other bilsteins for more rigid applications. But those ones are I believe $850 a set, I also read on here and a few other sites that the Bilsteins are not good for drag racing. The D-specs give you all the versatility you could possibly need. No matter if youre just driving on the street, going to the drag strip, or doing auto-x you know that the D-specs can be set to handle any situation.
Really? I think the d-specs will be my next purchase then. lol Thanks for the info.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:13 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

Originally Posted by saleenraider
Your gonna love the d-specs. I put mine in last week with the H&R SS and the car handles like its on rails.
I wouldn't say rails... The SS's aren't a very high spring rate.

Quick Reply: The UPS man came today **Supension goodies inside**