4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Accufab Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Default Accufab Throttle Body

I just installed an Accufab TB on my Mach 1 and the throttle feels much firmer, as in its harder to push the gas pedal. Is this right? It must have a stronger spring. Also when you press the pedal all the way it kinda drops into a point of what I would call past full throttle because it is not giving the car any more throttle. Does it just need some addjusting or is this normal. What do ou guys think, I know some of you have upgraded your TB. - Thanks
Old 09-28-2009, 11:35 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Sounds like it may need some adjusting. I had the same one on my mach and I remember I talked to a member on mach1 registry and he told me to adjust it, I don't remember what I did thou, since it was a long time ago. It's better if you just take your stock throttle body and port that. To many sticking problems with after market TB's.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:59 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
Sounds like it may need some adjusting. I had the same one on my mach and I remember I talked to a member on mach1 registry and he told me to adjust it, I don't remember what I did thou, since it was a long time ago. It's better if you just take your stock throttle body and port that. To many sticking problems with after market TB's.
Iv never heard of an accufab TB stick... ever. The only one iv ever heard tdo that is PP..go figure lol

OP you most likely are just feeling the tad stiffer spring on the TB.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:02 AM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Yeah my old one is corroding pretty bad... buy why does it seem like it is going past full throttle? Its hard to explain.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:38 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

well you have a cable pulling the lever on the side which rotates the butterfly. i dont know if its even posible or its your imagination but if you pulled too hard it may not have a stop at perpendicular and could rotate to a more closed position.

take your intake hose off and have a friend floor your car (motor off). see what the butterfly does. maybe you just need to adjust the cable a little bit.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:14 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The plate's sticking (if it is) can be caused by incorrect adjustment of the throttle stop screw--here is the procedure for setting same...

The power loss or limit you describe could perhaps be caused by a maladjusted cable, the visual inspection mentioned above will quickly reveal this, however there may be another explanation.

Did you get a 70mm or 75mm TB, are you still running the stock upper plenum?

I ask because at higher engine speeds, at WOT with the 2V engine, a 75mm TB can be a bit of overkill and cause the intake charge velocity to drop, with a related performance drop or feeling of hitting a power "wall".

A 75mm TB used with the stock upper plenum will exacerbate this effect.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
The plate's sticking (if it is) can be caused by incorrect adjustment of the throttle stop screw--here is the procedure for setting same...

The power loss or limit you describe could perhaps be caused by a maladjusted cable, the visual inspection mentioned above will quickly reveal this, however there may be another explanation.

I ask because at higher engine speeds, at WOT with the 2V engine, a 75mm TB can be a bit of overkill and cause the intake charge velocity to drop, with a related performance drop or feeling of hitting a power "wall".

I have a Mach 1 which has twin 57mm bores stock, now I have twin 60mm and there is no plenum on the Mach 1.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:41 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Fstanggt96
I have a Mach 1 which has twin 57mm bores stock, now I have twin 60mm and there is no plenum on the Mach 1.
I'm sorry, I missed that--this getting old stuff sucks at times...
Old 09-30-2009, 09:09 AM
CaptianMorgan65
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk

Thanks cliffy for posting the link, im getting an accufab next week and this might be helpful.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

I had the throttle cable on just slightly wrong lol. throttle problem fixed! Now why does my car whistle while the engine decelerates and when it is warming up lol? If I read correctly, their Accufabs website states that they have made them so that they will not whistle... Any kinda fix for this?

Quick Reply: Accufab Throttle Body