4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

gt engined cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 06:18 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

sparkplug, did you run the vin # on the car? that is the only way you will know if it is suppose to be a cobra, not by looking at the cosmetics of the car. unless the entire car is "dirty." also, why would someone go through the trouble of dropping in a gt engine in a cobra car? its much easier to swap in all the parts you listed, bumper, hood,badges, and gauges. it should also say cobra on the brakes too. if it is a true snake, then it could have been a stolen car that was striped then who ever bought it put whatever engine in it to make a few $$$ off of it. also, nothing against u but you are still a novice driver at 17 even if you raced cars since you have been an even younger kid. controlling a car is one thing, being on the road in real world traffic behind the wheel is another. you will see many crazy things around you that you cant predict. even if you are a "smart" driver. what if you had a blow out on a freeway on ramp? then lost control and u smashed in to a car coming down the interstate? what if you are going down the road and a deer jumps in front of you? what if you catch a puddle of water and hydro plane the car? by u stating that a smart driver should never get in to accident proves your lack of knowledge about driving, the smarter you are, the more you realize you dont know. as for the insurace thing you spoke of, what if the first weekend you went out cruising your new fake cobra and while you went in to a gas station to buy something someone stole your car? liability will not cover theft, so now you are stuck without a car and possibly paying for something you dont even have anymore. just something to think about.
my 2c, dont buy the car, and in NC you are not to far from VA, i just moved to AZ from there and you can always find stangs on craigslist there. a lot of guys would drive up from NC to buy some of my stang parts when i lived there. i would say keep looking and stay away from "Fobras."
Old 10-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Just to be clear
4v

2v
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-03-2009, 08:48 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sparkplug98
well unless someone decided to take a mustang gt and put cobra bumpers, hood, badges, wheels, and a cobra steering wheel and gagues on it. then its a cobra. i seriously doubt anyone would go through that much trouble. now if it had just the cobra badges and front bumper then obviously its a fake.
No, that doesn't make it a Cobra.... Only the vin # makes it a Cobra...
Unfortunately people will go through that much trouble and get sick of working on it and then try to find a person to buy it...
Just make sure the 8th digit in the VIN # is a "V" and NOT an "X". If it is a V then it is a Cobra, if it is an X it is a GT.
If your Step dad and brothers are such Mustang guys then I hope they checked this simple little detail out.....

Caveat Emptor.

Lynn
Old 10-03-2009, 08:53 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sparkplug98
1st of all, guys i turn 17 in like 2 months and i've been driving (a POS car) for almost a year. so i'm not a novice driver. and i'm very mature for my age and i know when to not be stupid in a car.
Your still wet behind the ears.... Your still a novice driver and will be so for a couple years or so until you get several thousand miles and hours behind the wheel.

Lynn
Old 10-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LynnBob Mustang
No, that doesn't make it a Cobra.... Only the vin # makes it a Cobra...
Unfortunately people will go through that much trouble and get sick of working on it and then try to find a person to buy it...
Just make sure the 8th digit in the VIN # is a "V" and NOT an "X". If it is a V then it is a Cobra, if it is an X it is a GT.
If your Step dad and brothers are such Mustang guys then I hope they checked this simple little detail out.....

Caveat Emptor.

Lynn
I know of TWO v6 cars that have everything Cobra, (including air bags, gauges, etc. "everything")
Old 10-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

omg, ok so im going to try not to **** you off...first, as far as the car goes, i learned certain things the hard way, and ill give you this little piece of advice. If your dead set on the car because its a cobra, then you should check the vin and title before anything else just to make sure your not getting ripped off...But i will say this my first car was a bradley GT for those of you who dont know what that is, its a VW kit car, looks pretty dam cool for a 16 year old to be driving.
There were a few things that i learned and that happened when i bought that car. 1, no one in my high school will remember me for anything but the guy who drove the funky car...lol. 2. this is the important one, i got it because i wanted it soooooo bad, used more money than i had, was so dead set on it in fact that i ignored all the bad things, like no interior no doors, quad carb set up on a 4 banger(really fu#@%$# hard to tune, bad gas milage) and of course everything needed major work body lights suspension, and nothing on it was factory, hard to find certain parts.
What i mean by this is, if you want this car so bad, your gonna take it no matter what we say, but what youll realize down the road is that you bought a cobra with a non matching motor, returning the car to the glory of even modified stock will be expensive, and modding a 2v is just dumb if you have a corba, buying one without the correct motor in it means that resale with be dam hard, unless they are stupid, because i would never buy a car that has been downgraded, and i think a lot of people feel that way.
Plus if you want it bad enough im sure your over looking things like hey, the window doesnt roll down on the passenger side and the door locks only open the drivers side, the right blinker turns on the left one, and the SRS light is flashing, and...well i think you get the point, just be very careful, ive bought 2 cars that turned out to be way more trouble than i intended, one such car was actually my 1970 mustang coupe. Being so caught up on buying something is dangerous and a huge red flag like the wrong motor should make it easy to say no thanks ill find another car.
This will probably **** you off the most...at 17 unless youve been driving road and track courses since you were 12, and doing jr drag events or drifting on a closed circut course then you dont fully under stand how to drive safely. Im not going to say your not a good driver because you may be a great driver, but i dont think in the history of mankind has there been a teenage boy with working ********* that has been able to behave in a muscle car, at least not if they are interested in going faster and upgrading like you want to do. On that note, i had to learn how to drift my car because i almost put it in a ditch going around a 15mph corner going 18 because of wet leaves....RWD lots of torque and young age dont mix well with wet and slipery...just a warning
Old 10-03-2009, 10:08 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rad Red 03
You could look for the serial # and match it by calling Ford and have them tell you.
Also your gonna pay insurance on a Cobra to matter what the engine is, it gos by VIN #.
Which means at 16 your gonna pay in a year more than youll probably make!

Also I guess Ill be the guy everyone hates by pointing out the obvious. What are you and your parents thinking? Putting a NEW driver with no real experience behind the wheel of a high performance mustle car, be it a Cobra or even A Mustang GT is like
handing a loaded pistol to a 5 year old and saying "go have some fun son". You know its
just a matter of time before the skills just dont match the performance!
How about driving a few miles before you ask somone to help scrape you off the highway! Just my opinion! I know Ill be called a few choice words, but come on, let be real, its too much car for a novice!!
yep! Be careful! Yea, a GT wow huh? But my little cousin(17yo) had his from christmas to the 29th of january. Only one month! It was a 97 but it was still too much! Now that ***** at 18 has a 97 cobra! lol JUST BE CAREFUL and gun dtr8 NOT on turns
Old 10-03-2009, 10:53 PM
johnr2001gt
2nd Gear Member

As far as being 16 and driving a mustang gt or cobra its all in how mature this individual is. My sons first car a was a 95 lt 1 formula that he bought and paid for. His next car is his current 98 Gt fully modded. He also bought and paid for this one along with the mods done to it. never no problems with the law other then one speeding ticket which he got in my car.

There are not many 16 year olds mature enough but some are. you as a parent should know your child well enough to no. my daughter will be driving a freaking Kia or Honda she is the one I have to worry about she is a wild driver.....

He knows when he wants to race take it to the track.

as far as the car your looking at I would be leary of buying it.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:23 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I don't think we should be the judge of whether or not the kid can drive a Mustang or not because no matter what we say it won't change his mind and will only make him more upset.

The bottom line is buying this car is a stupid idea. The kid needs to run the VIN to see if it is a GT or Cobra. Either way, if it were me I would NOT pay the insurance for a Cobra if it had a GT motor.

OP, the answers to your questions:

Take a picture of the motor and post it in this thread. We will then be able to tell you which motor is in it.

You will need either aftermarket heads, cams, intake and exhaust or do a PI swap with exhaust, CAI, TB/Plenum and UDPs but yet you would still need cams and valve springs (and be around ~290whp). Both of those options would run you way more money then you could spend (seeing how you said your on a budget).

Good luck with your search and pass on this Fobra.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:24 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by johnr2001gt
As far as being 16 and driving a mustang gt or cobra its all in how mature this individual is. My sons first car a was a 95 lt 1 formula that he bought and paid for. His next car is his current 98 Gt fully modded. He also bought and paid for this one along with the mods done to it. never no problems with the law other then one speeding ticket which he got in my car.

There are not many 16 year olds mature enough but some are. you as a parent should know your child well enough to no. my daughter will be driving a freaking Kia or Honda she is the one I have to worry about she is a wild driver.....

He knows when he wants to race take it to the track.

as far as the car your looking at I would be leary of buying it.

anyone who thinks its impossible for them to get into a wreck, or make a mistake while driving, is not mature enough to even be on the road...let alone in anything rwd

Quick Reply: gt engined cobra?