4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Suspension questions (another one...)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:47 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

OK good info Jazzer. I'm going to send you a pm so we don't hijack this thread any more
Old 10-13-2009, 05:55 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
The Griggs WL is welded via HUGE frame. The frame actually requries the moving of the gas tank back a bit and 1/3 of the spare tire well be cut out in order to allow its travel while the rear end moves upward. This is why I went Griggs PHB as I didn't lose the spare well and gas tank was OK. I also saved about $1000 on the installation, so not to shabby there. I had VERY seriously considered the Fays2, but have since passed as my PHB is working fine. I would have no concerns with the Fays2 bolt up config on a DD ride. If I was to be VERY serious track car, I would spend the cash and go for the heavy duty Griggs WL.

While the Griggs WL is probably the strongest one commercally available, the Griggs PHB is likely the same.

Jazzer
don't mean to hijack but wouldn't a suspension kit do the job? I wanna spend the least of $ and have somewhat a good suspension all around. I have some eibach springs already that lowered the car like 2-2.5in. I felt a diff too.
maybe something like this: http://www.lmperformance.com/3612/50.html ?
Old 10-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ PM me

Jazzer
Old 10-13-2009, 07:22 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nascrchi
don't mean to hijack but wouldn't a suspension kit do the job? I wanna spend the least of $ and have somewhat a good suspension all around. I have some eibach springs already that lowered the car like 2-2.5in. I felt a diff too.
maybe something like this: http://www.lmperformance.com/3612/50.html ?
What most people do suspension wise on these cars make improvements to an overall poor (but cheap to produce!) suspension system. What we're talking about in this thread is completely replacing the entire rear suspension system and making it perform like a race car.

Yes, that kit would probably make your car handle slightly better. Is it worth $900? Hell no. You're better off getting full length subframe connectors, nice shocks and struts, stiff springs, cc plates, polyurethane bushings everywhere, adjustable tie rod ends, and better lower control arms, if you want decent handling improvements without breaking the bank. The stuff we're talking about here, many people would consider overkill.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PaintballFreak
The stuff we're talking about here, many people would consider overkill.
Really? what's that mean??? LMFAO!!!
(in a really good mood for some reason..)
Old 10-13-2009, 07:57 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

There is no such thing as overkill. I mean we have people installing 2.8L blowers on 2v GT's for christ's sake...lol no such thing as overkill in this world.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:58 PM
DS002
3rd Gear Member

I currently have D-specs, H&R SS's, and J&M LCA's. It is a huge difference but if you push the car hard enough you will notice the issues that jazzer was talking about first hand. After I install the MM FLSFC's I have sitting in my garage my next mods are definetly switching to the race springs and finally doing a PHB/TA combo. Dont do the supersports, function over fashion. And definetly upgrade your LCA's when you do your springs and shocks/struts.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
There is no such thing as overkill. I mean we have people installing 2.8L blowers on 2v GT's for christ's sake...lol no such thing as overkill in this world.

ROFL owned
Old 10-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
ROFL owned
LMAO!! True..
But if he only knew what demented thoughts i was thinking the other day when i came across a guy on modularfords selling a hellion TT kit... lol

Hint = compound boost
LMAO!! but i decided to hold back for now
Old 10-13-2009, 09:05 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

There is still no such thing as overkill!!! lol now there does get to a point that you start doing pointless things and that is when you add twin turbos to kenne bell 2.8L. You would be making WAY too much boost and i dont think even your built bottom end would like that too much and your heads might just blow off. But that'd still be badass!!! You should definitely do it!!! Why is he selling it??? Just buy it and keep it in that heap you have in your garage. Eventually when you clean it out years from now, you'll find it and then you will put it on your car when they have created a forged bottom end that will actually withstand that amount of boost.

Linky to check out: http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/i...boost-resource. They talk about using their twin turbo kit with twin screw blowers and how your boost levels would be INSANE!!! But i would still do it. Imagine...a termie with a whipple 3.4 and twin turbos huffing into that **** lol

Quick Reply: Suspension questions (another one...)