4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Is it good to travel at 3k?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:11 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
Just concerned about spinning a bearing
Stop watching Fast and Furious (89), and study up on how internal combustion engines really work...

Google "heywood internal" and buy the definitive book...
Old 10-14-2009, 11:23 PM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

don't believe everything your friends say, and 4.10's will put you at 3k rpms at 80 miles an hour i drove that way 50 miles a day and it was fine

Last edited by steve0914; 10-14-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:29 AM
wrr1020
2nd Gear Member

Before owning my GT i was driving a 00 Contour Sport and the tach was around 2900 rpm at 80 mph and this was freeway driving everyday. Car never had a hiccup and was built like a tank so i'm sure running 3k is fine.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:05 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

What rpm do you think motors had at 80 mph before overdrive transmissions were invented? I have taken several trips to the west coast with the motor running continuously between 3500-4000 rpms and motors today are far better built than they were back then.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:32 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Alright, you have all made your point, and are likely far more accurate than I, lol

If you can just understand my concern, because the first long block in my car's engine threw a rod from the factory at 46,000 miles! I think the previous 3 owners really abused the car.

Is is true that doing donuts with not enough oil (5 quarts) can contribute to a possible spun bearing?

Why have I seen a video of a guy falling asleep in his car in PARK, that fell asleep with his foot on the gas and the car running, and the car was redlining for about 3 minutes before smoke started pouring out? I thought that someone on here said that our engines could theoretically run at redline all day.

What is the significant danger of running your car to redline RPMs when the engine is cold? Why does this do more damage?

The faster you "rev" your car up in the RPM band, does that increase the likeliness of spinning a rod bearing or do excessive damage? You know, like if you just SLAM your foot on the gas extremely quickly for a quick rev.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:41 AM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

running redline on a cold motor will likely crack the block...you know, cold to hot or hot to cold too fast is dangerous for anything
Old 10-18-2009, 06:06 AM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

Don't worry man....it's this kind of back and forth that leads to some useful info....at least for a dumb-*** like myself.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:07 AM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
Why have I seen a video of a guy falling asleep in his car in PARK, that fell asleep with his foot on the gas and the car running, and the car was redlining for about 3 minutes before smoke started pouring out? I thought that someone on here said that our engines could theoretically run at redline all day.

What is the significant danger of running your car to redline RPMs when the engine is cold? Why does this do more damage?

The faster you "rev" your car up in the RPM band, does that increase the likeliness of spinning a rod bearing or do excessive damage? You know, like if you just SLAM your foot on the gas extremely quickly for a quick rev.

I don't think he said they could run at redline all day. I think he was saying you could put a brick on the gas pedal at 3k and it would run until it runs out of gas. Redline is a different story. I would not try that one!

The reason you shouldn't run your car hard before it is up to temperature, is because the oil hasn't had time to properly lubricate the components. Also, under heat all the engine components expand so I would argue that the block, being a large, mostly solid piece of metal, takes longer to heat up and reach that expansion point than the internal engine components. So if you rev high when the components have expanded and the block hasn't, you're putting extra stress on the internals. The expansion is REALLY minimal and it's unlikely that this alone will cause your block to fail, but if it occurs often, over time the internals will weaken. Of course this is just my own personal thinking and I'm by no means a motor guru. Whatever the reasons are, you should always let your car get up to temp before running it hard.

And, like someone else said you can punch the gas as hard as you can as long as the car is in gear. It's when it's not in gear and the engine is under a much lighter load that you have to be careful.

Last edited by PaintballFreak; 10-18-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:02 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Regardless to whether running your motor at a constant 3K rpm is good or bad, I would feel like it's wrong and slow down.

To me it doesn't feel right to do even though (as has been established in this thread) it won't do any damage.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:15 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

You guys should drop the whole "facepalm" posting crap when a member asks a legit question. (OH BUT HOW DO I KNOW ITS LEGIT??? Because the OP didn't know **** about it, that's how).

Originally Posted by vanquish
Regardless to whether running your motor at a constant 3K rpm is good or bad, I would feel like it's wrong and slow down.

To me it doesn't feel right to do even though (as has been established in this thread) it won't do any damage.
That's because you still have the sissy stock gears.

3K seems high because it's smack in the middle of the tach (ignore the 8000 rpms & just look at the redline instead), however I've been up there @ 3K at about 80mph in my 4.10s numerous times and my car is just fine. 3K with stock gears in 5th is really hauling *** though, there's more concern for personal safety/tickets than if the engine can handle it.

Originally Posted by Derf00
Seriously..go out to your car, start it up, let it warm up, and press and hold the gas peddle. The car will cut/sputter at about 3500 RPM. This is your free rev limiter. Under driving conditions only the redline limiter exists.
Isn't the stock 'free rev' limiter a bit higher, like at 5800 or 6000 rpms?

Quick Reply: Is it good to travel at 3k?