4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Exhaust in NJ

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 12:42 PM
sweetcoupe

Default Exhaust in NJ

Guys,

I know there are tons of exhaust thread out there but none have really answered my question.

For the people in states that care about emissions. Im pretty sure NJ is one of them and im looking to redo my exhaust but i dont feel like having to worry about my inspection every 2 years running something that wont pass.

I have welded in Flowmaster 40s already and im looking to get an H pipe and headers to go with it (Hpipe cause after reading i came to the conclusion that it will keep the nice mustang sound that I already have just louder). Now i of course would like the long tube headers for the power gains but i again i want to pass emissions. So my question is, what can i get away with? I know currently stock has 4 cats. Now can you get away with say 2 high flow cats if I tune the computer to shut off the CEL? I think that would be my ultimate setup (long tubes with a 2 cat h pipe) as long as it passes inspection. Just want to make sure

Also I didnt see too many options (at least on americanmuscle.com) with the short Catted H pipe. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks again!
Old 10-19-2009, 04:07 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

I passed with my catted x. If you know the car won't pass, you can always find someone who's willing to push it through for a price. As far as passing with LT's, I'm not sure what the laws are. I've heard they're illegal, but as far as I'm concerned as long as your running cats that should be legal. As far as the H pipe, they're not too big, most people go with the x. I've really only seen a BBK and a MAC H pipe.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:08 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

IF NJ is anything like PA you will be able to pass as long as you have some kind of converters or maybe if the shop is lenient no converters with shells or just no converters if they don't do a visual inspection. Your CEL can't be on though.

I'm in PA and just passed the computer emmissions testing with no converters but my CEL is shut off in the tune.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:27 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

i passed with lt headers mac high flow catted h and flows. I live in Nj btw. And headers are not illegal trust me.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:51 PM
FreshPuck
1st Gear Member

where in NJ are you from? I'm not positive whether you will pass or not - altho i dont think youll have a problem w/ a catted H or X pipe. BUT I'm from morris county and there are definitely some licensed inspection station garages around that would be willing to pass you for the right price.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:57 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

a full length set of headers(aka) long tubes will not pass if they decide to take a peek underneath the car(most state places do with pole mirrors. As long as you have cats, you should be good to go.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:12 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4.698GT
a full length set of headers(aka) long tubes will not pass if they decide to take a peek underneath the car(most state places do with pole mirrors. As long as you have cats, you should be good to go.
Not true. CT is pretty strict and I just pasted with a full exhaust, Bassani all the way back. I am catted though.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:51 PM
02stangdude
2nd Gear Member

long tune headers are legal, you will pass just fine with high flow cats on a x or h pipe and check out upr or rpm outlet. they have some stuff. jegs and summit also. i have bbk shortys, slp catted x but with gutted cats and a bassanie catback. just got it inspected last month and i still passed even with my gutted cats. i know for sure that they looked under the car but not sure if they stuck somethin in my exhaust...ull deffinatly b fine with some type of cats tho
Old 10-20-2009, 06:46 AM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

any header that moves the placement of the cat is will not pass smog as per national emission standards. Whether or not the inspection looks for it is a different story. Also the inspection agency can sniff test a car if they suspect it of not having cats regardless of the check engine light on a obd2 car
Old 10-20-2009, 10:25 AM
mustangchris09
2nd Gear Member

Well you can do whatever you want as far as longtubes or shorty's, you just got to know a good shop that can make it look like it has shorty's. lol. I live in ga and the emissions is very strict and i know people who have longtubes goin through emissions just fine. But the mid pipe will have to be catted.

Quick Reply: Exhaust in NJ