4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Installed steeda pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:27 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

I thought about getting them myself just to add another bolt on to the list. Any for the money for just under 10 hp it really isn't that bad and if you go F/I Someone will always buy them guaranteed. Did that seller have more of them at that price? What seller was it?
Old 10-23-2009, 03:47 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by sxynerd
Cause when that extra 5rw kicks in it makes world fly by like a video game and the $200 pays itself off ten fold. Then there's the increased harmonic control on the crank...Who needs the last 80k miles from an engine anyway.
CTMS! (Chuckling To MySelf) -- it's true but no one wants to believe, they point to, and tout SFI certification, but all that means is the pulley won't blow-up...
Old 10-23-2009, 09:06 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

lol cliffy. I have no idea what you guys are on about. I've never heard any thing about them being bad for the motor as long as it has the dampener built in.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:16 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01MGGT
lol cliffy. I have no idea what you guys are on about. I've never heard any thing about them being bad for the motor as long as it has the dampener built in.
I'm not sure where they are coming from either. Maybe the piggyback or knock off cheapos or something. I've had my Steeda's on for a while now, and haven't had any problems. My other buddy has had his (Steeda's also) on for almost 5 years now, and not a single problem either.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
I'm not sure where they are coming from either. Maybe the piggyback or knock off cheapos or something. I've had my Steeda's on for a while now, and haven't had any problems. My other buddy has had his (Steeda's also) on for almost 5 years now, and not a single problem either.
SFI doesn't mean they are good for the engine, just that they wont come apart during operation. The larger the diameter and more exactly weighed the mass is and the more "energy dissipating element" a Balancer has, the more control it's going to have to "absorb" the damaging torsional vibration.

Last edited by Sxynerd; 10-23-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:58 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
SFI doesn't mean they are good for the engine, just that they wont come apart during operation. The larger the diameter and more exactly weighed the mass is and the more "energy dissipating element" a Balancer has, the more control it's going to have to "absorb" the damaging torsional vibration.
Okay, that actually makes some sense! So, are you saying that even the better udp's, like Steeda's, will cause some damage over time?
Old 10-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

As far as quality UDP's go, I don't think there is a better quality than the steeda's but no matter who makes it, at some point, the smaller mass and diameter just doesn't have enough material to control all/most of the TV.

(A fully built & perfectly balanced engine would be able to combat this more effectively if it were forced to have a smaller HB but it doesn't guarantee anything.)

The 4.6 is easily a 200k mile engine but the less control the HB has on it the sooner it's going to give out. So instead of having 200k miles of fun, you could have only 120k +/- what ever the car gods see fit.

Think of a smaller HB as a woodpecker.... It just picks away at a tree little by little and eventually it burro's it hole. The smaller HB pecks away allowing more TV and eventually it's going to give out.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:21 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Very interesting! I guess i really never thought of it that way. So, basically it sounds like a crapshoot! Depending on how well the overall system is balanced, will ultimately determine the rate of wear.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited by mrtstang; 10-23-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

When I had my 01 gt, I put the steeda udp on and I didn't notice sh*t. I even tried to pretend that I got some sort of gain or quicker throttle response but that didn't even work.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:32 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

the steeda UDP really do make a differenece. Idk what they do! but my 96NPI motor pulled much faster with the goodyear gatorbelt! I was instantly satisfied!

Quick Reply: Installed steeda pulleys