4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

little update on the car

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:09 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Lizzy, just out of curiosity, what all is done to your car???
Old 11-07-2009, 10:21 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by teej281
Motor?
Built shortblock (MMR 900)
PI heads/cams/intake
Votech V-2 SQ upgraded to T trim
Running about 14lbs
Air to Air intercooler (ebay, little bit of fabbing needed)
Old 11-07-2009, 10:30 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Lol theres not too many 96-98s on the site, and the ones that we have are badass, Fred, Sxynerd, Hank the moose, i need to step it up lol, fred your car is one of my favorites on the site.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:48 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
yep kb or eaton and spray is common, it counter-acts the heat and makes the stock eaton on 03/04 cobras efficent untill like 18 lbs? Don't quote me on that lol but its something like that.

How much is the adapter from Tork-Tech or Teck? w/e? you could get an eaton cheap + port (or just a pulley) + spray and call it a day.

Also i forgot to mention in my turbo post, not only the turbo piping had to be insulated but any wires anywhere near the piping did or they would melt, at least thats what he told me, and that was enough to drive me away from turbo dreams, doesn't matter at this point, im about to throw what i have on my car and call it a day. lol. Goodluck with the build, all i can say is look into it a good deal and find out whats going to suit you best, talk to people that are actually running the set-ups you are inquiring about.

the adapter from tork tech is 1900$. you still need to buy your heat exchanger, liquid pump, reservoir, the eaton blower itself, and several other things (its all listed on torktech's website). ive been looking into doing the eaton swap instead of a centri but i cant justify the cost personally (everything is a little over 2500....little more than you can get a centri for and the centri is more efficient...but the eaton would be alot more fun on the street). a guy on moddedmustangs on 8-9lbs of boost made something like 375rwhp and 440rwtq (just over 2000 rpm) with his car nearly stock, so results are not bad at all. you MAY also have to cut your hood and use tork techs extended hood scoop to cover the hole, or buy a cowl hood. for some reason not everyone has to do it, some people can get it to fit under stock hood but some cant.

something to consider though: if you go with the eaton kit now, and forge your bottom end you can upgrade the eaton to any top mount blower that the 03-04 cobra uses. you can use a 3.4l whipple, KB, etc.... many have talked about using the tork tech adapter and a 3.4l whipple but ive yet to see it done (maybe because the cost is not cheap and the eaton itself can max out a stock 2v block).
Old 11-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
i have stock heads as well with blower cams and making 415-420 rwhp at 12.5 PSI.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:12 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
the adapter from tork tech is 1900$. you still need to buy your heat exchanger, liquid pump, reservoir, the eaton blower itself, and several other things (its all listed on torktech's website). ive been looking into doing the eaton swap instead of a centri but i cant justify the cost personally (everything is a little over 2500....little more than you can get a centri for and the centri is more efficient...but the eaton would be alot more fun on the street). a guy on moddedmustangs on 8-9lbs of boost made something like 375rwhp and 440rwtq (just over 2000 rpm) with his car nearly stock, so results are not bad at all. you MAY also have to cut your hood and use tork techs extended hood scoop to cover the hole, or buy a cowl hood. for some reason not everyone has to do it, some people can get it to fit under stock hood but some cant.

something to consider though: if you go with the eaton kit now, and forge your bottom end you can upgrade the eaton to any top mount blower that the 03-04 cobra uses. you can use a 3.4l whipple, KB, etc.... many have talked about using the tork tech adapter and a 3.4l whipple but ive yet to see it done (maybe because the cost is not cheap and the eaton itself can max out a stock 2v block).
yeah, $2500 isn't too bad though, neither is 375 stock otherwise on 8 or 9 lbs of boost, if hes forged and has the blower ported or buys one ported he can run almost 10 lbs more on the spray before efficency issues, but im betting if he has blower cams/ported h/i hes breaking 500whp on 12 lbs and spray.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:06 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

no its not bad. i just wish the adapter pieces were a little less expensive to make it cost worthy (because you can still get a centri for cheaper, but the eaton will feel more like having a KB on your car for less than half the cost of one)

heres some bits off the thread: 371/450 at the wheels at 3000rpm at 10psi looks like, guess my memory was a little off but still close. this is posts from the guy with the yellow mustang gt that is posted around on a dyno with an eaton on it. if you havent seen it im sure you can youtube "2v eaton" and find it.

Originally Posted by other forum
The damn thing makes 371 rwhp and 450 rwtq...... at 3000 RPM and that's at 12 degree's of timing! And, it continues to build power with the more fuel we able add. We didn't even make a full pull on it today... You barely touch the throttle and you've got 10lbs of boost (at less than 2000 RPM) with that 2.80 upper and a 7 inch lower... I'm also going to get a 3.1 pulley. Can't really go much larger because of the idlers.

Final numbers on my project were 402/461...

To set the record straight with absolutely no disrespect towards Ron (fastspec1) or his company:

This is not the Tork Tech "kit", it uses a re-engineered Tork Tech proto-type lower (with 20 hours worth of machining time) along with the TT cross-brace and lower pulley everything else is 03/04 components, including the dual pass intercooler and not the single pass with the TT kit. And to be clear, this uses the Eaton M112, not the Magnuson MP112. My intent was to use everything "Take - Off" of the 03/04 Cobra and to do it cheaply with most parts purchased off of here. To date, I have $2,600 and change into this (excluding the braided line and fittings, tuning etc.)... FAR less than any "kit" on the market!

The parameters of this project were to do a cost effective Cobra take-off blower on a stock bottom ended 2 valve GT. While Ron (fastspec1) is focusing on built 2 valves with numbers like 500+ rwhp and 500+ rwtq, that is not the focus behind my intent, nor was it my focus when he decided to incorporate my idea into their product line. This project was for the guys that want affordable horsepower for their stock 2 valve engines. As an added benefit, once you decide to forge the bottom and beef everything up, you can then use any supercharger on the market designed for the 03/04 cobra. While I most certainly appreciate all of Ron's help on this, he was not interested in this route before I approached him, never quite got the point and still keeps pushing the notion that the Magnuson blower is more efficient (which it is).

But that was not and is not the point.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:38 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

god damn, so much TORQUE!

you gotta love that lol.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
Lol theres not too many 96-98s on the site, and the ones that we have are badass, Fred, Sxynerd, Hank the moose, i need to step it up lol, fred your car is one of my favorites on the site.
Yea, I try to fly incognito, but Dime,I don't see any reason why you could't hit low 11's with any of those scenarios.

Last edited by Chris98Gt; 11-08-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:30 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chris98Gt
Yea, I try to fly incognito, but Dime,I don't see any reason why you could't hit low 11's with any of those scenarios.
i didn't forget about you i just forgot your name lol.

Quick Reply: little update on the car