4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Question: Selling a parts car...and buying a cobra

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

Default Question: Price for a parts car...and guess what! I'm getting a cobra

Just wanted to get an idea from you guys what I could get for my car as it sits now. Heres a pic of the damage.

I hydroplaned last week and busted up the front end just a little and the insurance company totaled it. Car still drives fine, I drove it home from the accident. Engine runs fine, radiator isn't cracked, tranny is fine. Mods were LT's, O/R H, Flowmaster catback, 3.73s. Literally is just front end damage, just too much for my insurance to cover to be fixed.

How much would I be looking at as far as price goes.

I ask b/c I'm went to check out a 98' cobra today and decided to buy it. I told him what happened to my car and said he wanted to come by and look and buy it off of me, so I would just pay some cash on top of him taking my car. Just trying to figure out how much money my car would take of the price.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll get some pics of the cobra up here tomorrow. So excited to get that cobra haha

Last edited by Capt Hair; 11-07-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

I would say 2 grand is fair price for a parts car.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

Do you think I could get away with $2500? Or is that pushing it? My plan was to start off by saying 2.5k and then negotiate from there, so maybe 2.2 or 2.3k, or is that realistically still pushing it?
Old 11-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

I would think that would be a fair listing price right there , Specially if it drives and runs good. you could also throw down A GREAT FIRST CAR - NEEDS A LITTLE TLC lol. If you have no luck with that tho list it 2200 OBO , take the mods off and sell them individually.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:32 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

There is a Mustang for sale and the guy is asking $3000 for it and it has more damage then your vehicle. His car still runs and drives fine, not saying $3000 is too much but I would start the price for your car higher than you would be willing to let it go for.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr Graystang
I would think that would be a fair listing price right there , Specially if it drives and runs good. you could also throw down A GREAT FIRST CAR - NEEDS A LITTLE TLC lol. If you have no luck with that tho list it 2200 OBO , take the mods off and sell them individually.
well the idea was that the guy I'm buying my cobra from, wanted to see my car and buy it as a parts car when I told him what happened to it he was very interested in it. And I am for sure selling it to him, and then paying cash on top of my car. I just wanted a ball park range of what I should tell him I wanted for it.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Capt Hair
well the idea was that the guy I'm buying my cobra from, wanted to see my car and buy it as a parts car when I told him what happened to it he was very interested in it. And I am for sure selling it to him, and then paying cash on top of my car. I just wanted a ball park range of what I should tell him I wanted for it.
Did you have full coverage? If so, how much insurance company offering you...
Old 11-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
Did you have full coverage? If so, how much insurance company offering you...
Yea I did, I got $6350 back, and the guy wanted 7k for the Cobra and then talked him to 6.5k, which I'm fine with. So after my 500 deductible I have $5850 cash at this time. Bought my car back from the insurance company for $500 and then and going to give him my car, and then some money on top of that. So I have 5.3k in cash. SO basically wondering how much cash my car would take off the price of the cobra, which from what yall say would be 2.5k or so. So 4k in cash and my car would get me the cobra free and clear ideally.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:19 PM
0440thgt
2nd Gear Member

Any idea of how much your insurance is going to sky-rocket yet???

That's another thing to remember!
Old 11-07-2009, 06:26 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Ya I think you said you were 18 and now with an accident on your file it is going to make insurance a boat load for a Cobra.

Quick Reply: Question: Selling a parts car...and buying a cobra