4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Suspension time! next mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:39 PM
rman101
2nd Gear Member

Default Suspension time! next mods

Okay time to get this ole stallion going around some corners figure the 100 shot will help the strait way just fine.
FLSFC's are on the list (replacing the verts bolt on ones)

Think im going to go for a bullit style suspension because i want a good DD not to harsh and i still want to be able to drag race it occasionally so i dont want extreme springs rates etc.

Cobra Front sway (what the bullit uses) 26.5mm
V6 Rear Sway or keep GT rear sway (bullit uses the v6 sway bar) 21mm
Bullit Shocks and springs unless there are any comparible ones i can find the used for cheap.

LCA's and UCA's
dont know which one out of these two are better
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...ackage-99.html
or
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...ackage-99.html
(rememeber these are not going to be a drag set up but if they will help in both departments the better)
Old 11-16-2009, 08:55 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

You gotta go a lil more aggressive than that? A Bullitt's suspension is stiffer thana stock GT's but you're gonna want to go lower.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:15 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by crash
You gotta go a lil more aggressive than that? A Bullitt's suspension is stiffer thana stock GT's but you're gonna want to go lower.
Not everyone wants low. I went with mach 1/bullitt suspension because I get a linear 600lb spring rate. That is plenty for me to have fun with. If my car wasnt a DD you bet Id be damn near kissing the ground with a spring rate of +700 but again, not for a DD.

OP, with the 17x9s all the way around and tokico blacks with urethane isolators/mach 1 springs my car is plenty tight. Its no miata, but it is a very practical setup. I call it my cars great compromise lol.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:21 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

^ This is true.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:37 PM
rman101
2nd Gear Member

H0SS your car is actually the one that made me want to go with the bullit style suspension reading all of your post. So tokico blacks and not blues?
have you changed out your sway bars and/or control arms?

any feedback anyone on which of those control arms is better for what and why?

and yeah i love the look of a lowered mustang but my bassani x-pipe already hangs low and i go over many speedbumps daily.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:50 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rman101
H0SS your car is actually the one that made me want to go with the bullit style suspension reading all of your post. So tokico blacks and not blues?
have you changed out your sway bars and/or control arms?

any feedback anyone on which of those control arms is better for what and why?

and yeah i love the look of a lowered mustang but my bassani x-pipe already hangs low and i go over many speedbumps daily.
I am running Roush lower control arms. They are decent for the 100 bucks I got em for.*

I went with blacks because they are specifically valved for the 600lb spring rate. So in a perfect world, I would go with those if you decide to go with the bullitt/mach 1 stuff. Anti roll bars are on my list of stuff to do, but I just bought cams so those have taken the back seat.

*There was a huge sale about 2 years ago on ebay with Roush LCA. A vender was selling them for 99 shipped. I couldnt pass that deal up.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

rman.... I like the UCA's of link #1 (LCA's are fine, but have no sway bar mount plates) and the LCA's of link #2, but not either specific "kit" as it is given. Buy the UCA's and LCA's separately for the best combo

Don't go sway bars at this point. Sway bars are the VERY last thing one should do when going suspension mods, as they are a "tuning" device. Generally, you are gonna want a larger rear and probably a stock front (maybe not). This really can't be properly known until you find out if you have oversteer/understeer issues, so WAIT on them.

Jazzer
Old 11-16-2009, 10:20 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
rman.... I like the UCA's of link #1 (LCA's are fine, but have no sway bar mount plates) and the LCA's of link #2, but not either specific "kit" as it is given. Buy the UCA's and LCA's separately for the best combo

Don't go sway bars at this point. Sway bars are the VERY last thing one should do when going suspension mods, as they are a "tuning" device. Generally, you are gonna want a larger rear and probably a stock front (maybe not). This really can't be properly known until you find out if you have oversteer/understeer issues, so WAIT on them.

Jazzer
Listen to this guy!
Old 11-16-2009, 10:27 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Eh, im gonna have to disagree with the Jazz on this subject. The OP is talking about OEM equipment off a higher end mustang. I dont think Ford engineers sized em wrong for our cars so Im sure they offer up some good performance. I would stick to the bullitt stuff though(if they re even different) because the cobra stuff(if differently sized) will be sized for the added weight of the 4v most likely.

On the subject of aftermarket anti-roll bars I do agree with you though.

Last edited by H0SS302; 11-16-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:23 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Someone callin out Jazz?! What is this world coming to?!

Quick Reply: Suspension time! next mods