4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Novi 2000 vs. Kenne Bell vs. Eaton vs. Whipple???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:11 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

The kenne bell 2.6 is more than capable of keeping up with you throughout your build. I can understand the 2.1 might start to dwindle away the higher you go but the 2.6 should be fine. If youre gonna do it though, then buy the MPH 2.8 kit for the 2v like tim99GT. lol
Old 11-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
I would choose the Kenne Bell hands down! I might be wrong, but i don't think Whipple makes blowers for the 99-04 2 valve.
+1 to the kb. And as far as the whipple for a 2v, they did so to speak. they produced the saleen blowers. However, i wouldn't spend the money on one as they dont perform/increase power as well as the other options. But if you plan to stay with stock internals, then they are a decent option as they can be had for a good price if you keep a eye out for them.

Originally Posted by H0SS302
Id rather have the centri personally. I like the fact that boost builds gradually.
ehh....i dont like to have to "wait" to see full boost. To me it doesnt make any sense....
Yes, i guess the slow build will help with traction, but if thats the only argument, then just launch softer with the twin screw. But personally, depending on what boost level he decids to run, id rather be the guy pulling away making xxx amount of hp/tq while the guy in the centri car is still trying to get to the same hp/tq mark... not trying to rag on you or anything

EDIT: ^^^
Old 11-29-2009, 11:27 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
+1 to the kb. And as far as the whipple for a 2v, they did so to speak. they produced the saleen blowers. However, i wouldn't spend the money on one as they dont perform/increase power as well as the other options. But if you plan to stay with stock internals, then they are a decent option as they can be had for a good price if you keep a eye out for them.

ehh....i dont like to have to "wait" to see full boost. To me it doesnt make any sense....
Yes, i guess the slow build will help with traction, but if thats the only argument, then just launch softer with the twin screw. But personally, depending on what boost level he decids to run, id rather be the guy pulling away making xxx amount of hp/tq while the guy in the centri car is still trying to get to the same hp/tq mark... not trying to rag on you or anything

EDIT: ^^^
I just prefer the way turbos make power and a centri is closer to that than a twin screw. Everyone has there preferences.. no ragging here lol
Old 11-29-2009, 11:38 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Actually when you think about it, in terms of spool time it would go twin screw/roots>turbo>centri. I mean the turbos dont come on right away but if you size your turbo right to the application you will see full boost pretty quick and way before redline. So i'd think that the onset of boost in a turbo car would be closer to that of a roots/twin screw car cus the onset of boost is quicker/more violent cus once a turbo is spooled, you better hold on for dear life.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

^^^+1

and who races with a turbo car and doesnt brake boost (as far as ricer roll racing is concerned anyway lol )

EDIT: however, the guy running the centri could always pulley down to make the desired power sooner and just not have to rev to the moon to achieve the "max desired" boost level.

Last edited by Tim99GT; 11-29-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:57 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

But less pulley means less boost which means less power which means lost race. lol i still prefer twin screw or turbo. Quicker, more violent onset of boost equals WAAAAAAY more fun from experience.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:06 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

LOL well if I was gonna pick a supercharger..it would be a centri.. iv een enough twin screw vs centri races from a dig to warrant my reasonings.. usually it goes like this

they both start, twin screw spins to much and the centri wins. But good thing ill never be buying a blower..cause turbo is the only way to go IMHO. Parasitic loss can suck on some *****. lol

Iv got my mind churning on a turbo project(not for this car tho).
Old 11-30-2009, 12:09 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

I didnt mean pulley down in a sense of actually running a lower boost level. I meant pulley down as him running a smaller pulley to make more "max" boost. This way, according to my tired *** logic, he should see more boost sooner then he would if he was running say a 9 psi pulley setup. IDK if that made any sense or not... LOL
So instead of running a 9 psi pulley and seeing 9 psi at 7000 rpm, running say a 12 psi pulley and seeing 9 psi at 6000 rpm.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:14 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
LOL well if I was gonna pick a supercharger..it would be a centri.. iv een enough twin screw vs centri races from a dig to warrant my reasonings.. usually it goes like this

they both start, twin screw spins to much and the centri wins. But good thing ill never be buying a blower..cause turbo is the only way to go IMHO. Parasitic loss can suck on some *****. lol

Iv got my mind churning on a turbo project(not for this car tho).
So what your saying is is that the twin screw driver is in desperate need of a driver mod
OR
that centri blowers are for the less "experienced" driver as they allow anyone to just mash the gas and go without fear of really breaking the tires loose... LMAO

any details on this new build
Old 11-30-2009, 12:17 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I dont know...it might work like that. But true HOSS...turbo>all others. Parasitic loss can suck some major ballz. I love making power from nothing. lol its kinda like Kraft Crumbles...they take the wasted cheese from making their other cheese products and sell it anyways. lol And you dont want to be wasteful...cus someone else could be using those exhaust gases and put them to good use. lol

Quick Reply: Novi 2000 vs. Kenne Bell vs. Eaton vs. Whipple???