4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Ways to near 400 HP W/o Forced Induction.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:17 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by marcosbullock
In all seriousness, what's the objection to going bigger on some areas or spraying? If done right, both can be extremely reliable, safe, and horsepower productive. Not trying to cramp your style, just wondering why it's not an option.
+1...i was thinking the same thing. I've seen a lot of threads lately about trying to build high n/a hp with these motors. I truely don't get the fascination. We all know these motors suck n/a, and the hp per $$$ ratio you get by going this route sucks. Boost or spray is much more efficient, and cost affective. I mean why pick this little 2 valve if going n/a, when there are much better options.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:41 PM
02stangdude
2nd Gear Member

for some reason i still love the idea of a n/a build and i already have a 100 shot. i dont know what it is but id much rather have a h/c/i motor then running my 100 shot even though i probly wouldnt make as much power. i guess cause its different. but yea, 400hp n/a is pretty muh out of the question with these 2v heads
Old 11-30-2009, 09:51 PM
yial

Originally Posted by mrtstang
+1...i was thinking the same thing. I've seen a lot of threads lately about trying to build high n/a hp with these motors. I truely don't get the fascination. We all know these motors suck n/a, and the hp per $$$ ratio you get by going this route sucks. Boost or spray is much more efficient, and cost affective. I mean why pick this little 2 valve if going n/a, when there are much better options.

It's more of the fact that my Cobra fund is now being rapidly drained by tuition.

So; I have to do what I can with my GT that now has to last me much longer then what I orig. intended when I bought it.

So; unless I do a 5.4l swap, I'm stuck with the 2v 4.6l, that, as I know.. sucks. (as I'm reminded by the wrx Subaru driver with the stage 2 turbo in my class everyday.)

It was more curiosity what HP I could achieve with just bolt ons. the 400 HP was more of 'joke'.

I'm prolly going to buy a 50 shot kit or something.. along with some other stuff.

Additionally, it's more what I can install myself. (as an engine swap is beyond me due to my lack of appropriate garage.)
Old 11-30-2009, 09:54 PM
marcosbullock
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by yial
It's more of the fact that my Cobra fund is now being rapidly drained by tuition.

So; I have to do what I can with my GT that now has to last me much longer then what I orig. intended when I bought it.

So; unless I do a 5.4l swap, I'm stuck with the 2v 4.6l, that, as I know.. sucks. (as I'm reminded by the wrx Subaru driver with the stage 2 turbo in my class everyday.)

It was more curiosity what HP I could achieve with just bolt ons. the 400 HP was more of 'joke'.

I'm prolly going to buy a 50 shot kit or something.. along with some other stuff.

Additionally, it's more what I can install myself. (as an engine swap is beyond me due to my lack of appropriate garage.)
Man, tell that smack talking Subaru driver to tack the extra pounds you carry onto his car and then give you a 2 stage turbo system. THEN ask him if he still wants to run em. Haha...like I said...I think your max is 360...best to buy a blower if you ask me.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Luna Moona
1st Gear Member

I think some people who want the whole n/a thing view S/Cs and turbos as the easy way out and the thing that everyone else is doing, and they'd rather pour all their effort and money into making their cars powerful, naturally aspired beats.

Mind you, that's stupid, but whatever. Their decision.

Last edited by Luna Moona; 11-30-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:10 PM
marcosbullock
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Luna Moona
...Mind you, that's stupid, but whatever. Their decision.
I couldn't agree more. And it is an ignorant opinion. Anyone who thinks it's an easy way out, I'd love to see them install and tune a reliable twin turbo system on my 2v.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:11 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

for the price your going to spend to get a 400rwhp PI mustang, you could have already bought a few superchargers. doesnt make sense to me...
Old 11-30-2009, 10:39 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

F/I gives you power you wouldn't normally have with an NA setup... you can definitely drive it differently.

Having said that.. I bet Trick Flow's new heads with a Stage 3 port and polish by MMR combined with some aggressive cams and full bolt ons will get you close.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:46 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

is there any reason you are against going the F/I route?
Old 12-01-2009, 06:33 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

i say get a 100 shot and dyno tune and 4.10 gears. prob $1000 all together

Quick Reply: Ways to near 400 HP W/o Forced Induction.