4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

help on best cam selection for my setup......

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:05 PM
SALEEN_TIME
2nd Gear Member

Default help on best cam selection for my setup......

I have an 02 saleen and here's what's done and what I'm looking for...
Parts coming- 03/04 cobra fuel setup, 60lb injectors, sct 3000 90mm mad,Fore precision fuel rails.

Parts on car now- dss racing super pro mod short block w/ 9:1:1 compression, stock heads and cams, stock series2 blower, larger crank pulley, bbk long tubes w/ bbk o/r hpipe and flowmasters. Mishimoto radiator, accufab 75mm tb, and 3.55 gears.
I'm looking for 575-600whp with adding these mods, fully cnc ported heads and blower cams along with a 2.6l KB. I need best suggestions on what heads and cams to go with. I'm looking for cam power range between 1800-6300rpms. Help please....want to get this stuff ordered by the new year.
Thanks
Old 12-02-2009, 11:45 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Well.. Any stage 2 P+P head will do the trick, however TF made some really nice heads that will outflow any P+P head right out of the box with no porting done to them. But they come with a hefty price tag... Kepp in mind that you upgrade you valve springs also with any head you get.
As far as cams go, i would do(I did actually) MPH's custom kenne bell cams. I have heard and read about some really nice results from these.
So you are going to run the cobra fuel pumps? Do you have a BAP(boost a pump)? Modified FPDM? I would also suggest the 8-rib pulley conversion kit to help reduce belt slippage on your setup seeing as you will more than likely be running ~16-18 PSI to get to you hp goals.
Stock tranny? Rear end?
Old 12-03-2009, 10:57 AM
SALEEN_TIME
2nd Gear Member

Well where do I start, Im getting BAP and Right now Im currently doing all the rear suspension. Im kepping the stock tranny for now until it really needs to go, then im putting a TKO600 in. See im not getting the kenne bell until around March, but i want to get everything else on now so when it comes time i can just drop that on and get it tuned. I've been looking at getting the PP stage 3 heads with all the upgraded valve spring,retainers and guides. Just having a hard time with picking the right cam's. I want ones with a good power range. Im going to keep this blower on until the KB comes. I am also going with the 8 rib system and twin cobra pumps.

Last edited by SALEEN_TIME; 12-03-2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-03-2009, 11:06 AM
SALEEN_TIME
2nd Gear Member

also do they make a 2.8 kb for the 4.6 2v?
Old 12-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

^^ they sure do
Old 12-03-2009, 02:59 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Tim has one...lol. But for your car, id run the MPH KB cams as like Tim said make impressive gains. And i dont know how much youre wanting to spend on heads, but MMR just came out with their port jobs, stages 1-3, on the new trickflow heads and they should be pretty stout. I know i wanna get those heads on the longblock that i will hopefully buy from them in the future. And if you do decide to go with stage 3 heads, you will more than likely need a bored out motor to have the clearance for the valves, or thats what i was told by other members on here.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

There is really no reason to port the TF heads. The walls are too thin. I had talked to Modular Head shop awhile back and the gain wasnt really worth the price to have them ported. It was something like 17CFM gain and the price was like $700 or so. Not really worth it IMO.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:07 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
There is really no reason to port the TF heads. The walls are too thin. I had talked to Modular Head shop awhile back and the gain wasnt really worth the price to have them ported. It was something like 17CFM gain and the price was like $700 or so. Not really worth it IMO.
Agreed!
Old 12-03-2009, 03:28 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Ive been talking to MMR back and forth about them. They are saying that the ports for each stage are about 15cfm better than the previous stage. So we are talking like 280+cfm if their claims are accurate. I have the emails from them if anyone would like to see them for themselves. I'll pm them to you, because i dont know if MMR would appreciate a public post of their emails between them and an individual.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:55 PM
SALEEN_TIME
2nd Gear Member

Yea a guy at PP told me if you go with stage 3 heads that you gotta make sure you have clearance room for the valves. Something i didnt know before. So maybe just go with a stage 2 heads package then. IDK.... I hate decisions. where can I get those cams from and about how much do they run? And what is the difference in capabilities from the KB 2.6-2.8?

Quick Reply: help on best cam selection for my setup......