4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

nitrous oxide legal or illegal

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 11:29 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Remote bottle opener and closer FTW!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:42 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

i plan to remove the bottle from my car while im street driving...ill just throw the bottle in it when im at the track

new law around here is going to make having nitrous in the car a first degree misdemeanor 6pt violation, and equal to a DUI (3 days jail, 6month to 1year license suspension)

Last edited by 99BlackPonyGT; 12-05-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:02 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
i plan to remove the bottle from my car while im street driving...ill just throw the bottle in it when im at the track

new law around here is going to make having nitrous in the car a first degree misdemeanor 6pt violation, and equal to a DUI (3 days jail, 6month to 1year license suspension)
You've got to be kidding!!! That's insane for running nitrous. How the hell can they consider that equal to a DUI?
Old 12-05-2009, 12:07 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by mrtstang
You've got to be kidding!!! That's insane for running nitrous. How the hell can they consider that equal to a DUI?
it passed the house and is at ohio senate for debate now...its an anti street racing bill...also expands defininition of street racing to include

Any exhibition of speed or acceleration that is
inconsistent with the normal operation of a vehicle on a public
road, street, or highway.

anyone at the scene of the race, anyone discussing the race online, and anyone who encouraged the race is any way are also going to be charged with the same violation

nitrous sales all need to be recorded and tracked for 2 years

also changes it to include single vehicle violations

so if you leave a light too hard, you can be charged with street racing, even if youre the only car on the road

and the best part....conviction the first time is a misdemeanor, all after that become felonies....and loss of your vehicle is MANDATORY on first offense and every offense after, the judge cant even save you on that one
Old 12-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Here in Michigan they could give a crap about nitrous lol. My buddy is a cop, and said the only way you'd get in trouble (and that's a maybe) is if you were pulled over for something else, and the cop was a jerk on top of that, and wanted to search the vehicle.
Thats what I love about this state , lol when I had nitrous on my 3.8 a cop who pulled me over was all giddy about seeing a kit and asking me if I see lasers when spray haha. FAST & Furious FTL

Thats why I dont love Ohio , man that is down right ridiculous. Is street racing that bad down there that they need to make **** petty laws or is it just a way to boost the economy? Either way it blows.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:11 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

You guys have a big street racing problem in Ohio?
Old 12-05-2009, 12:14 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
You guys have a big street racing problem in Ohio?
kinda....theyre playing it off of an incident that happened 2 years ago though

2 guys were racing, one was DRUNK as ****....drunk guy lost control went left of center and hit a girl...she has brain damage now, and her family is pushing this bill through our judicial system....the drunk guy who hit her died on impact, and the other kid was charged with vehicular homicide, assault with a deadly weapon, and something else....he was cleared though so didnt get pinned with any of it

nobody seems to care that the guy was drunk, they just blame street racing
Old 12-05-2009, 12:16 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

it passed the house and is at ohio senate for debate now...its an anti street racing bill...also expands defininition of street racing to include

Any exhibition of speed or acceleration that is
inconsistent with the normal operation of a vehicle on a public
road, street, or highway.

anyone at the scene of the race, anyone discussing the race online, and anyone who encouraged the race is any way are also going to be charged with the same violation

nitrous sales all need to be recorded and tracked for 2 years

also changes it to include single vehicle violations

so if you leave a light too hard, you can be charged with street racing, even if youre the only car on the road

and the best part....conviction the first time is a misdemeanor, all after that become felonies....and loss of your vehicle is MANDATORY on first offense and every offense after, the judge cant even save you on that one
Wow... that really amazes me! What i don't understand is how this applies to nitrous specifically. I mean could the same thing be said for a supercharger or turbo??? If it's a bill to crack down on street racing, it should apply to any aftermarket poweradder imo.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:16 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

yea jesus! Ohio blows! Remind me never to go through there lol. Most places though its just illegal to have it connected. Here in MO they never check.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:20 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

used to be a gto....he had nitrous in his car, which i guess overrides the alcohol in his system

Summary: http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/a...0191-i-128.htm

The entire thing: http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/B...B_191_I_Y.html

Cliffs:
- using nitrous on the street will be the same as a DUI
- if you accelerate quickly, squeal tires, corner hard, brake hard, etc, they can detain/arrest you. if you're found guilty, courts are REQUIRED to seize your car/bike. you don't get it back.
- anyone encouraging/helping/participating gets the same penalties. ie: the threads on here about stupid cagers and squids racing bikes = jail time for those who laugh or say anything positive about the race.
- you can be the only car/bike on the road and still be found guilty of street racing.
- riding/driving any way other than what the court deems "normal" is considered street racing

Last edited by 99BlackPonyGT; 12-05-2009 at 12:39 PM.

Quick Reply: nitrous oxide legal or illegal