4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

nitrous oxide legal or illegal

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 12:22 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

[QUOTE=Mr Graystang;6674813]Thats what I love about this state , lol when I had nitrous on my 3.8 a cop who pulled me over was all giddy about seeing a kit and asking me if I see lasers when spray haha. FAST & Furious FTL

lol...that's pretty funny! I guess we are pretty lucky then. Maybe we have crappy roads, but we can spray away down them lol.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:34 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT

used to be a gto....he had nitrous in his car, which i guess overrides the alcohol in his system

Summary: http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/a...0191-i-128.htm

The entire thing: http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/B...B_191_I_Y.html

Cliffs:
- using nitrous on the street will be the same as a DUI
- if you accelerate quickly, squeal tires, corner hard, brake hard, etc, they can detain/arrest you. if you're found guilty, courts are REQUIRED to seize your car/bike. you don't get it back.
- anyone encouraging/helping/participating gets the same penalties. ie: the threads on here about stupid cagers and squids racing bikes = jail time for those who laugh or say anything positive about the race.
- you can be the only car/bike on the road and still be found guilty of street racing.
- riding/driving any way other than what the court deems "normal" is considered street racing

Okay, so it looks like they're not just singling out nitrous then. From my perspective it looks like it will apply to anyone who abuses this.

While that story is sad and unfortunate, it's going to say to people "hey...look at what nitrous can cause" and create a bad rap, when in fact it could've been anything that adds a ton of power to your car. Or the fact that the person was drunk.

Last edited by mrtstang; 12-05-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:38 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

that or it could have been the fact that he was drunk???
Old 12-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

drunk driving overules everything period.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:42 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

not in ohio it doesnt

According to police, not only was Staton drag racing moments before the crash, but he was also legally drunk. Police records obtained by 10TV News show there were four witnesses to the crash -- Staton's wife, his neighbor, his cousin and the driver Staton was racing.

Staton's wife and neighbor told investigators that the other man called Staton and challenged him to a race. When asked about the race the driver told police that his car "started breaking loose, so (he) let off the gas," allowing Staton to speed past him.

Staton's neighbor, who was following behind with Staton's wife, said that "after the race was over they both hit their brakes to slow down." The neighbor said it was "5 or 10 seconds later" that Staton lost control and crossed the median, McEntyre reported.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:38 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

See I think strict laws like they are creating are good because it should cut down on street racing BUT it won't stop street racing and I think will just cause people to try and out run police if they get caught creating another issue in itself.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I woulda told the officer, as respectfully as possible, to f off regarding the search. And before you agree to a search of any kind you are entitled to ask what they are searching for and their probable cause of suspicion leading them to request said search. But then again, when and if I do get pulled over I'm always sure to shut the engine off so nobody becomes suspicious of the non-catted fumes being emitted (that would be "probable cause"). If you deny the request for a search of your vehicle, then yes, they could bring out a drug sniffing dog (which doesn't matter unless you have a joint in the armrest.... and if you do it's better to just give that up before they have to go through the trouble of finding it on their own), and I'm sure they could slide a mirror beneath the vehicle to look around for illegal parts and/or substances. And in the event that a search of your vehicle leads to damage of your vehicle (paint scratches, broken whatever from trying to disassemble something improperly) you can hold the department responsible for that particular officer responsible for damages as long as you can prove that the officer caused it. The dash cam on their car records everything, including audio; just keep cool and act like a professional and you can use those things to your advantage in court, should it go that far. In my experience, the cop's won't tear up your car if you respectfully and firmly tell them not to. But they will try to push you around sometimes if you don't act and speak firmly with them, as they do to you (gotta play the "man game" sometimes). When they're trying to rip the backseat apart to get to the trunk, suggest that they use the key or button in the glovebox instead. If they think you're scared or nervous, they will most times use that to their advantage; to the point that you just admitted personal responsibility for the 1989 San Francisco earthquake.

Sorry for the rant, it's just that I got hassled by the cops a lot when I was a kid (probably for good reason most of the time), so I consider myself somewhat of an expert, in relative terms, on how to handle such situations.

Last edited by Z28KLR; 12-05-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:56 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
See I think strict laws like they are creating are good because it should cut down on street racing BUT it won't stop street racing and I think will just cause people to try and out run police if they get caught creating another issue in itself.
not as written....you really think people who are cornering too fast, leaving a light too hard but not breaking the speed limit, driving alone in a way that is inconsistent with normal traffic, and excessive braking should all lose their cars for street racing?? all at the officers discretion, without any real way of measuring whether a person excellerated too quickly or cornerd too fast or not

reckless operation, loss of control, excessive show of acceleration, unnecessary squealing of tires, etc etc etc can all be lumped into street racing now when this passes
Old 12-05-2009, 02:18 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Well I guess it's good that they are trying to crack down on street racing but the way they are doing it is a little overboard. I agree with the above post. I think the lose of a car for something up to the officers discretion is not the best way of doing it.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:29 PM
03BottleFedGT
3rd Gear Member

note to self dont ever go to Ohio. down here in Georgia you can have everything installed in the car it just had to be unhooked somewhere doesnt say it has to be at the bottle

Quick Reply: nitrous oxide legal or illegal