4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Buying another mustang have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:25 AM
mustang13gt
1st Gear Member

Default Buying another mustang have a few questions

Ok so i am looking at this 2002 mustang gt and i have noticed a few things so far and am not to sure on two of them
1. there is a short throw shifer with stock shift **** and like a bulge in the rear of the shifter **** at the top. What can fix this? is it normal when putting stock shifter back on a short throw?

2. The clutch seems to be very hard to push and grab maybe alittle more then a quarter of the way up. is this normal? i am going by faint memory of the old 04 mustang gt 5 speed also it seems rather hard. I am also told that there is aftermartket clutch cable is this a good or bad thing?
3. Also i am told that it has 3.73 in the rear how would i be able to tell that infact it does have that and also if they were installed properly?
Everything else on the car seems fine. it has a aftermarket exhaust and window tint on the front. I looked underneath and it seems to be clean.

Last edited by mustang13gt; 12-05-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:32 AM
motorman524
MF Informant

any pics of the shifter?

The hard pedal may be a bad clutch or the clutch cable isnt adjusted properly. Does it have a stock quadrant or aftermarket with a firewall adjuster?

See how it accelerates, you'll know if the gears are stock or not.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:38 AM
mustang13gt
1st Gear Member

motorman i posted up a picture of the shifter up top now. Also where should i look exactly and what are some tell tail signs that it is not the factory quadrent or it is? I did drive it but i wasnt to to sure if they were stock gears or not is there a certain rpm i should be at with them say at 60 if im in 5th?
thankyou for the fast reply
Old 12-05-2009, 10:48 AM
motorman524
MF Informant

The bulge may just be the shifter underneath, I dont really know.

For the quadrant, it will be on the pedal assembly straight up from the gas pedal. if it is white and plastic, it is stock. Or you could look under the hood and follow the clutch cable to the firewall. There will be a firewall adjuster there because aftermarket quadrants arent self ratcheting.

60 in 5th should be at right around 2k or a little more.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

That bulge in the **** is strange... If it bugs you just replace it. Does the seller not at least have receipts for the parts he's had installed? Always a bummer trying to buy something with parts you can't verify either way. As far as your clutch and rearend questions, the best thing to do to check for good condition and proper operation would be to have your mechanic look over the car; if you're that concerned about the gears have him yank the rearend cover and take a look. The heavy clutch pedal could be normal (but typically isn't), depending on the brand of clutch that's in there. But I would suspect that something might be out of adjustment, I've been reading a lot lately about issues with the clutch fork causing overly stiff pedal (supposed to be a relatively simple fix). Good luck, wish I could go Mustang shopping right now too.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:00 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

My clutch pedal is very heavy in my car, but it's the stock clutch from what i know. I have driven other mustangs and they all have hard pedals as well.. It's just the way the car is.. But you could have a heavier duty clutch causing it to feel heavier then you remember.

As for gears - Use the gear calculater from cliffyK to determine which gears are in your car. Does the guy have the ecu tuned for the gears?

As for the shifter ****, it looks like the guy just simply overtightened it, causing the shifter handle to bulge through the ****.

Simple fix = get an 05+ ****. I have one and they are SOOO comfortable and very stylish in our cars.

As for the clutch cable - If it's adjustable, get rid of it. Everyone on here lives by the stock cable.

So if i were you i would buy a new shift **** to fix that, and a new stock OEM clutch cable
Old 12-05-2009, 04:10 PM
mustang13gt
1st Gear Member

i dont have the opportunity to talk to the owne it is at a dealer here so unfortunently i cant ask him who installed it what gears if any also is it bad if the computer is not tuned for the gears?
Old 12-05-2009, 04:25 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

You would have to recalibrate for the speedo I'm assuming, and I dont know what that entails. A pcm tune for gears isnt necessary
Old 12-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

neither of those issues would bother me or change my decision to buy the car. the clutch pedal feels different because of the aftermarket cable and quadrant. i dont have many reciepts to the stuff on my car
Old 12-05-2009, 04:45 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

^ he doesnt know if the quadrant is aftermarket or not.

Quick Reply: Buying another mustang have a few questions