4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Car was broken into

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Luna Moona
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gif4445
I had mine broken into not too long ago. Didn't take possessions, just the change that was in my cup holder.
Yeah. Only a $1.27. Really wasn't worth the effort.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:30 PM
jRock617
2nd Gear Member

sorry to hear that. i tend to keep my car complely empty of change or any electronics.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I'm so glad I have a garage to keep mine in. I live out around "BFE", but we still get random tweekers passing by from time to time. It would be worth somebody trying to do something just so I could catch them doing it.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:39 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brute03
that sucks man but mustangs are stupid easy to get into. i locked my keys up sometime back and some random guy came over and opened it with a hanger in 30 seconds flat...
Originally Posted by gif4445
I had mine broken into not too long ago. Didn't take possessions, just the change that was in my cup holder.
it's so easy because of the electrical components. You get a hanger, force it through the window while it's already bent, and aim for the unlock swith...hahaha And I don't want them annoying a*s alarms either...
Old 12-11-2009, 05:36 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic04
I have 2 different things to add here:
1. I had somebody break into one of my other cars ( not a stang ) they stole a bunch of tools from the trunk an my cds. They left the cash, ipod, and digital camera that was next to the cd's though?! I was like wtf did a retarded kid break in here or what.

2. I have a 2004 GT 40th Anniv. Ed. It is bone stock an does have an alarm im pretty sure. I locked it with the remote, my brother bumped it slightly an the alarm started honking! An when I lock it theres a little thing on the dash that says security lock or somethin an it blinks in red? Is that not an alarm?

yeah some people that break into cars are stupid. i had a very nice eclipse deck in my car that was broken into and stolen (i paid 250 new on ebay, at a retailer it was 500$). they left my passport radar detector (literally just chilling on the dash), hundreds of CD's, my friends backpack in the rear seat with his wallet and cell phone in it (we were on the beach erlier), etc.... they took the HARDEST thing to steal instead of the stuff that WASNT bolted down.

if you have an alarm it was probably a dealer/factory upgrade or a previous owner. press your lock button then push the hood up and down and see if anything goes off.

hondas have always been easy to steal though. if you look at statistics they are high in the top 10 as far as easy/commonly stolen cars. not sure about the ignition thing but mustangs have a PATS system in them. if you were going to hotwire or break the ignition lock and just try to start it it wont work because theres not the chip in the key sending the signal to the car allowing it to start. you can pretty easily disable the pats system though if your familiar with it. infact you can google it, i did a while back for someone that lost their key and didnt awnt to spend 100+ on a new PATS key so he disabled his PATS and used a plain cut key with no chip.

can your car be stolen quickly and easily? yes, any car can if the thief knows their way around the car. my dad's truck was jacked from infront of the house while i was in tech school one night. it was found a day or 2 later in some random neighborhood. apparently some kids were out jacking rims and stuff and needed a truck to drive the stolen goods around so they stole his truck, carried their **** and left it in a colvesack.

if your really paranoid, i would hook up an ignition kill switch and hide the switch somewhere and get a decent alarm (you can turn the sensitivity down so it doesnt go off when the wind blows hard). you could also put a club on it at night. granted these are all things that an experienced car thief could easily disable/remove, BUT if you put enough anti theft devices on your car most good thieves wont even bother with your car. they like quick and easy steals, not ones they have to disable 15 things to get it moving.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:30 AM
navy_seabee17

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
yeah some people that break into cars are stupid. i had a very nice eclipse deck in my car that was broken into and stolen (i paid 250 new on ebay, at a retailer it was 500$). they left my passport radar detector (literally just chilling on the dash), hundreds of CD's, my friends backpack in the rear seat with his wallet and cell phone in it (we were on the beach erlier), etc.... they took the HARDEST thing to steal instead of the stuff that WASNT bolted down.

if you have an alarm it was probably a dealer/factory upgrade or a previous owner. press your lock button then push the hood up and down and see if anything goes off.

hondas have always been easy to steal though. if you look at statistics they are high in the top 10 as far as easy/commonly stolen cars. not sure about the ignition thing but mustangs have a PATS system in them. if you were going to hotwire or break the ignition lock and just try to start it it wont work because theres not the chip in the key sending the signal to the car allowing it to start. you can pretty easily disable the pats system though if your familiar with it. infact you can google it, i did a while back for someone that lost their key and didnt awnt to spend 100+ on a new PATS key so he disabled his PATS and used a plain cut key with no chip.

can your car be stolen quickly and easily? yes, any car can if the thief knows their way around the car. my dad's truck was jacked from infront of the house while i was in tech school one night. it was found a day or 2 later in some random neighborhood. apparently some kids were out jacking rims and stuff and needed a truck to drive the stolen goods around so they stole his truck, carried their **** and left it in a colvesack.

if your really paranoid, i would hook up an ignition kill switch and hide the switch somewhere and get a decent alarm (you can turn the sensitivity down so it doesnt go off when the wind blows hard). you could also put a club on it at night. granted these are all things that an experienced car thief could easily disable/remove, BUT if you put enough anti theft devices on your car most good thieves wont even bother with your car. they like quick and easy steals, not ones they have to disable 15 things to get it moving.

tech school eh? air force?

and yeah some d*ckweed got into my camry a while back, left the change in the cupholder, didn't take one cigarette, left my cd's, took a look at my driver license and military id and threw it on the floor, opened the glove box but didn't take anything, opened the trunk to find a bunch of useless sh*t, left all my tactical gear and seabag in the backseat, didn't bother taking the baseball bat, left my emergency cell phone (in case my real phone is dead and theres an emergency) in the glovebox, but tried to steal the pioneer deck and only managed to accomplish tearing up the console which i glued back to the dash.

but at least he had the courtesy to close my car back up when he was done! (except the trunk)

apparently locking your doors aren't good enough anymore so no matter how tired i am im going to carry all 100 lbs of my gear back into the house next time i go out training.

and no more forgetting my id in the car after that, now i make sure i have both my id cards with me when i get out of the car.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:32 AM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Luna Moona
Yeah. Only a $1.27. Really wasn't worth the effort.
DAMN YOU! I think you need to change your location.......seeing as you were in Nebraska
Old 12-14-2009, 06:07 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

the horn is not a decoy in our cars. the alarm is on a time delay, i think it's like 45 seconds. lock your car with the windows down, come back a few minutes later and reach in and pull the lock cylinder up and open the door. if the alarm goes off, boom, there ya go. if not, you have no alarm.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:23 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by IRSmart
the horn is not a decoy in our cars. the alarm is on a time delay, i think it's like 45 seconds. lock your car with the windows down, come back a few minutes later and reach in and pull the lock cylinder up and open the door. if the alarm goes off, boom, there ya go. if not, you have no alarm.
Right, but that works for someone that either breaks the window, or opens it without picking the lock. I think that if the lock cylinder gets turned, by key or pick, then it disables the alarm. But yes, they are stupidly easy to pick, I can open mine up in 30 seconds with a screw driver and a hair pin.