4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Fuel Mileage +'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 04:15 PM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

buy a civic

but seriously drive like grandma and you will get the cars advertised mpg
Old 12-15-2009, 11:18 PM
dStuck
2nd Gear Member

yeah one of the reasons i got my 98GT is for the MPG haha. myold 99 5.4F150 got about 12-14 or so probally. and from what i've heard my 3:73's help a bit too
Old 12-16-2009, 10:27 AM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

something that people forgot is tire pressure, under inflated tire pressure hurts mpgs a bit. If I'm not at the track i pump my tires to 36psi. Make sure your brakes are not dragging, filters are clear along with changing fluids on time.

I guess normal maintenance and not driving like a jacka$$ will help.

Personal best is 29mpg back when i had 2.73's, now its more like 25-26mpg highway.
However i picked up a mpg in the city from 20 to 21.

I know what you mean in showing people that it isn't a gas guzzler, becuase it really isn't that bad on gas. My friends, or at least the ones who are jealous try to say, "yea, but it gets bad mpgs..." and i just smile and say "29mpg highway" and they are shocked.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:25 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I used to get 25 city driving like a grandma in my 98 GT when i had it. Never really had it on the open road to get its highway mileage. This one here got 3mpg better when i had the fuel filter changed on it. Plugs are probably a good thing to get changed. A tune would probably help to to get your a/f right where it should be. Those are some things that i can think of off the top of my head. Make sure your air filter is clean, your mass air sensor is clean, and that you use good gas.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:06 PM
dStuck
2nd Gear Member

yeah mine is probally right about where i need to clean the Air Filt., new fuel filer, and change the plugs and wires( broken), and change the fluidsss
Old 12-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
The biggest thing is the starts from a stop. We have 2 different cars that calculate AVG MPG and you can always tell what vehicle my wife is driving because the AVG will be about 3 to 4 MPG better than if I where to be driving. I guess I drive like I screw fast and hard
We have the same results. When I need to get good MPG, she drives.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:17 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

But see, i wont let the women in my life drive my car...cus they are all horrible drivers. I'd get worse gas mileage with them driving.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

If you can't control your MPG I'd say that you're the bad driver. I've learned with my wife that she can out drive most guys who claim to be great drivers "when it counts" and to say all women bad drivers is a pretty MoTarded. There's no way in hell I'd ever race or let you ever touch my car Teej, your arrogance in your own ability is frightening.

I can't stand when I see drivers driving stupid and erratic mimicking what they think race car drivers drive like. Greatest word I've ever heard for racing is, Slow is Fast and Consistency is key.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:02 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by sxynerd
If you can't control your MPG I'd say that you're the bad driver. I've learned with my wife that she can out drive most guys who claim to be great drivers "when it counts" and to say all women bad drivers is a pretty MoTarded. There's no way in hell I'd ever race or let you ever touch my car Teej, your arrogance in your own ability is frightening.

I can't stand when I see drivers driving stupid and erratic mimicking what they think race car drivers drive like. Greatest word I've ever heard for racing is, Slow is Fast and Consistency is key.
Way to jump on your high horse man. I live in a college dorm with a bunch of girls who(having riden with them), are probably some of the worst drivers ive ever seen. They cant maintain speed, they make stupid mistakes quite frequently, and just dont usually have any courtesy for others on the road. I am not saying ALL WOMEN are bad drivers...just ALL WOMEN IN MY LIFE are bad drivers. If i found a woman driver i was comfortable letting behind the wheel of my car, i'd let her drive my car no problem. But the women(mostly girls) that want to drive my car are just crazy teen girls more or less that i fear allowing them to drive their own 4cyl honda civics, let alone a V8 Mustang. So who's the MoTard for jumping to conclusions???

And i can control my gas mileage. I get usually about 20mpg no matter what and thats mostly in town driving. Im not arrogant in my abilities because my abilities happen to be quite limited. But i do know how to drive...i may not know how to drive like a race car driver in either a straight line or on a road course, but for daily driving with occasional spirited driving i can do just fine.

Last edited by teej281; 12-16-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
But see, i wont let the women in my life drive my car...cus they are all horrible drivers. I'd get worse gas mileage with them driving.
Originally Posted by teej281
Way to jump on your high horse man. I live in a college dorm with a bunch of girls who(having riden with them), are probably some of the worst drivers ive ever seen. They cant maintain speed, they make stupid mistakes quite frequently, and just dont usually have any courtesy for others on the road. I am not saying ALL WOMEN are bad drivers...just ALL WOMEN IN MY LIFE are bad drivers. If i found a woman driver i was comfortable letting behind the wheel of my car, i'd let her drive my car no problem. But the women(mostly girls) that want to drive my car are just crazy teen girls more or less that i fear allowing them to drive their own 4cyl honda civics, let alone a V8 Mustang. So who's the MoTard for jumping to conclusions???

And i can control my gas mileage. I get usually about 20mpg no matter what and thats mostly in town driving. Im not arrogant in my abilities because my abilities happen to be quite limited. But i do know how to drive...i may not know how to drive like a race car driver in either a straight line or on a road course, but for daily driving with occasional spirited driving i can do just fine.
I direct you to your previous statement to say where I draw my conclusions from.

My Horse is that High, I know most of my failings and willing to learn more.

If you want to talk statistics that's one thing BUT you failed to mention that, you made a blanket statement that is MoTarded.

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage +'s