4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

HID store

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:22 PM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

It's you're call man. I completely understand where you are coming from. If I knew the cheaper ones were just as good as his, I would obviously go with the cheaper venue's. But like I said, I have never heard any person down-talk his company. That's what I know, so that's what I will buy when the time comes.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:41 PM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

does that mustang code really work on retrosolutions? i was trying it the other day and nothing changed.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:56 AM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Let me tell you something about HIDs. Im already on my second pair. First i went through MMR and second i went through DDM tuning.. The DDM tuning is better than the MMR but i was in the same boat you were. I was like i can get these lights shipped to me for $115 and that cheaper than going for $190... So guess what, i bought the DDM, and guess who regrets not spending an extra $40 dollars a light... <--- this guy. I should have went Retro Solutions. Hell, Retro if you would buy my lights used i would buy your lights. Or hell if you are looking to sponsor some one.. Im down. Or if you have any lights that are lying around, ill put them to good use. Long story short... why cheap out on lights. When theses DDM go out, although they do have lifetime warrenty, i will just buy retrosolutions lights... I want lights like my moms BMW! If im spending all this money on lights, they better be damn close to them! DDM are 1/8 the lights of my moms BMW!
Old 12-22-2009, 05:37 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

well maybe ill save up, but with the lifetime warrenty it just comes down to IF its a hassel to deal with their customer service to get something replaced.

and your HID's will never be as good as your mothers BMW....for one her housings are made for HID's your are made for halogens...technically its illegal to have HID's in our cars for that exact reason
Old 12-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Buck268
1st Gear Member

I've been hesitant to go HID in stock housings, hopefully you all are familar with the short comings of our housings ability to safely control the light. In fact, I'm seeing it all the time on the road now- little 10 year old econo boxes with blazing lights that blind on coming traffic, its really terrible.

Now maybe those are the el cheapo kits, or maybe those housings are worse than ours, but until someone can show me that HID's aren't dangerous in our lights I'm going to shy away. And yes, that was an invatation to post pics
Old 12-22-2009, 07:45 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

nature of the best i believe. HID's in halogen housings will never look "controlled". if some do i would say it is because of the varying design of housing from car to car.

from what i have taken away from this is the 55W are brutal for blinding people and the 35W are not as bad. i put 35W 5000k in my 95 Mark 8 and no one EVER flashed me.

but then again those housings were almost half the height of ours so the design was a lot different giving a different beam.

Last edited by smitty2919; 12-22-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:52 AM
sycamaro67

I don't know much about hids either but I do know one thing in life " you pay what you get for"
Old 12-22-2009, 08:09 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

In my 95 Mark 8

HID's:

highbeam halogen:

the pics are not that great and the HID's were not as bad as they look in terms of blinding brightness
Old 12-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Retrosolutions
Former Sponsor

Our equipment is proprietary. We directly control the quality and function of our equipment compared to all the others out there using whatever the lowest price generic is. It doesn't change month to month, the components inside the ballasts are always the same, and our ultra low failure rates show it, with < 0.05% for ballasts and < 0.16% for bulbs. Keep in mind these are not out of the box numbers, they also account for every ballast and bulb sold in the brand. For the unlucky few that ever experience an issue, they are protected by a lifetime warranty.

The ballasts are really quite unique in several factors. For one, they are extremely efficient... and not just at steady state. They are also very efficient in ignition and ramp-up as well. Our specifications are 6.5A@12v for 35w, and 7.5A@12v for 55w and the lot to lot testing shows 0.5A-1.5A lower values from our required specifications. Most importantly, our ballasts are unique in that they require proper power supply for operation or they simply will not operate, they will not struggle in the presence of low voltage to operate and overheat like other ballasts will. This feature protects the vehicle from any damage by going as far to lock out the ballast, instead operating in vain and risking the vehicle wiring or worse. The control in output, 35w or 55w, is unparalleled by the use of application specific processors and also keep in mind our ballasts are rated by output power, not input power like most ballasts are. Most after market ballasts are rated by input power, and guess what, that 35w ballast is only putting out about 30w or so taking into account an average 87% efficiency rating. Even just comparing efficiency at steady state will infer something about the engineering of the ballasts. Our DIGITAL ballasts reach a 92% efficiency, and our NightVision have reached a whopping 94%. Better efficiency means less heat as a byproduct, and less heat equals better longevity on average.

Now you probably don't hear it very often not being in the business, but literally every single day we hear from people that had lifetime warranty or even just 1 year warranty with many different vendors that quite simply just got screwed over. We've heard it all, and a lot of vendors use all the tactics they can to keep people waiting sometimes months to get any resolution if they ever do get it.

Our DIGITAL kits come in 35w and 55w versions. The 55w versions come with real 55w bulbs for proper operation. There are more and more systems out there being advertised as "50w" and "55w" now, and to date none of them save one Ebay exclusive vendor is actually providing anthing but 35w bulbs. Yup, they are all 50w ballasts and 35w bulbs, and there are significant drawbacks to such combinations... the only upside being the bottom line.

35w bulb with 50w/55w ballast (most brands):
1) higher temperature output, may damage housings
2) higher arc position, equates to more glare
3) lower color temperature, K color decreases or "color wash-out"
4) reduced lifespan of the bulbs
5) reduced output, inefficiency leads to less than advertised output
6) internal pressure closer to maximum (~60-75w peak)

55w bulbs and 55w ballasts (like DIGITAL 55w brand from Retro-Solutions):
1) lower temperature, safe for housings, produces less heat than 55w halogen bulb
2) spaced cathodes, same arc position, no increase in glare
3) color correct specification, you order 5000k you get 5000k
4) bulb lifespan maintained
5) efficiency maintained, better efficiency in terms of output
6) internal peak pressure rating of bulbs is greater
Old 12-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Retrosolutions
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JRad405
does that mustang code really work on retrosolutions? i was trying it the other day and nothing changed.
You do need to enter it as the promotional code after selecting an option here:
(also, please note it is best to use one of the second two choices so you can check order progress online should our emails not reach you directly)

Quick Reply: HID store