4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

The final bolt on

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 04:51 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

[QUOTE= Anyone reccomend a specific size of T/B? I noticed the 78mm BBK is pretty popular...[/QUOTE]

I would do either a 75mm or 78mm personally. It will work just as good as the 70mm for you right now, and that way if you add some big power later on, you'll be able to take full advantage of it.

Last edited by mrtstang; 12-27-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Sonic_Stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
When i did my BBK long tubes i noticed a slight power bump all around. It was slightly deeper and smoother (and a tad quieter) at idle, but was a lot louder and deeper at WOT.

I know they're a pita, but it was definantly worth it imo.
Any advice to a first time LT install?
Old 12-27-2009, 04:55 PM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

Um, you will not need anything more than a 70mm tb. I have heard too many stories of guys doing bigger and regretting it. Unless of course you have the mods to back the more flow (I didn't read you're signature).

I recently did Mac LT's and I noticed a significant increase up top, but not much for daily driving commuting down low. Like everyone has noted, they really roar up top and are quieter at idle.

I would recommend Accufab tb and plenum. My brother picked the combo up and we saw nice results up top as well. A lot better throttle response also. Although they are a bit more expensive than say Professional Products, I feel as if the extra money is worth it. But if you are on a relatively tight budget as I am, PP should do you just fine.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:05 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic_Stang
This was the article i followed for the install. There's not much else to say, except have patience, and plenty of cold beers lol.

http://www.fnsweet.com/garage/lt_install/index.shtml
Old 12-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Sonic_Stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by freefallin98
Um, you will not need anything more than a 70mm tb. I have heard too many stories of guys doing bigger and regretting it. Unless of course you have the mods to back the more flow (I didn't read you're signature).

I recently did Mac LT's and I noticed a significant increase up top, but not much for daily driving commuting down low. Like everyone has noted, they really roar up top and are quieter at idle.

I would recommend Accufab tb and plenum. My brother picked the combo up and we saw nice results up top as well. A lot better throttle response also. Although they are a bit more expensive than say Professional Products, I feel as if the extra money is worth it. But if you are on a relatively tight budget as I am, PP should do you just fine.
I am on a pretty tight budget but i've heard Accufab products are the boss when it comes to tb and plenums haha. Thank you for the input man I'm excited to bolt some longtubes on! My car is a DD do you think long tubes are a pretty important bolt on?
Old 12-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Sonic_Stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
This was the article i followed for the install. There's not much else to say, except have patience, and plenty of cold beers lol.

http://www.fnsweet.com/garage/lt_install/index.shtml
Thanks for the link man this is a lot more descriptive than the couple install articles I stumbled across haha If the K members gotta come off I better have a couple cold ones before I even start, luckily I have a buddy whose willing to go through with the painful install with me haha Did your BBK's fit pretty good?
Old 12-27-2009, 06:05 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the link man this is a lot more descriptive than the couple install articles I stumbled across haha If the K members gotta come off I better have a couple cold ones before I even start, luckily I have a buddy whose willing to go through with the painful install with me haha Did your BBK's fit pretty good?
Yeah, having a buddy to help will make all the difference.

Other than a few bloody knuckles lol, they fit fine. You have to remember it's all a tight fit, and you'll be in really cramped working conditions.

Like i said it's a pita (took me about 15 hours personally) but well worth it.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:21 PM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

I am on a pretty tight budget but i've heard Accufab products are the boss when it comes to tb and plenums haha. Thank you for the input man I'm excited to bolt some longtubes on! My car is a DD do you think long tubes are a pretty important bolt on?
Yes, long tubes are essential in my book if you want to get the max out of the 4.6, for all of the reasons stated, and many more. But I think you're going to love a 70 or 75mm TB/Plenum. Simple install, nice throttle response, relatively inexpensive, and you will pick up a coupe ponies while you're at it. Go with the PP stuff from RPMoutlet.com. I think they offer it for the cheapest, aside from maybe Ebay.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:41 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I would HIGHLY recommend dropping the K member and all the stuff connected to it (a-arms, struts etc etc). It took me and a couple of friends awhile to install them but once we dropped the K member it took about 5-6 hours (that's not including breaks). Honestly a much easier install then people make it out to be.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

You may also want to look into Ford Racing Stage 8 locking header bolts, and maybe pick up a set of OEM header gaskets.

Quick Reply: The final bolt on