4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

The final bolt on

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 04:42 AM
Sonic_Stang
1st Gear Member

Default The final bolt on

What's up guys please don't shoot me I promised I've done hours (and hours) of researching. I just saved up enough cash to drop on my next bolt on. After researching I've decided not to do pulleys or a T/B. I think my next and final bolt on is going to be a set of longtubes. I'm pickin up a set of BBK Ceramic Coated headers from a local guy that's going turbo for a pretty darn good deal and I'm still a little on the fence. Before the money leaves my bank account are Long Tubes really worth it. Are they more of a exhaust "Sound" upgrade than they are a performance upgrade? I would love a more aggressive sound but I don't wanna be left empty handed after I go through the 8 hours of hell to throw these suckers in haha Thanks for reading this long *** thread any input is truley appreciated.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:34 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Long tube headers are a definite performance modification, typically they will sound different, but not necessarily louder. Also, depending on their design, you may find that the power band has shifted and you will have traded power at the low-end for high-end power--or vice versa...
Old 12-27-2009, 08:22 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

With my macs, I think I remember feeling like I lost a little low end, but I gained on the higher end. The power band shifted by a few hundred more rpms. My car sounds much louder at higher rpms compared to the stock manifolds, but yet it seems quieter during cruising engine speeds.

I would recommend.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Get the longtubes but now the increased breathing allowed by the better exhaust will almost require you to get the T/B for best performance.

See, it never ends.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:22 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

When i did my BBK long tubes i noticed a slight power bump all around. It was slightly deeper and smoother (and a tad quieter) at idle, but was a lot louder and deeper at WOT.

I know they're a pita, but it was definantly worth it imo.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:25 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chopper
Get the longtubes but now the increased breathing allowed by the better exhaust will almost require you to get the T/B for best performance.

See, it never ends.
+100...you're gonna need bigger tb to get best results. But LTs are a def boost in hp...i felt a big difference in mine. Also raced a buddy of mine with similar mods (he also didn't have a tb/plenum) before and after and before we were neck and neck, and after i pulled and put about 2-3 cars on him . Great mod!
Old 12-27-2009, 12:50 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

Headers are def. worth it from what i hear... but like what they said^^^ make sure u can get the throttle body/plenum next
Old 12-27-2009, 01:55 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

I felt alot more power in the low end. tb/plenum with help the high end
Old 12-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

For me, Long-tubes provided a great gain, especially in the higher rpms.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Sonic_Stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chopper

See, it never ends.
hahaha it's a curse I tell you! But I'm glad to hear that a T/B will acctually help after the longtubes, I've heard some stories of people losing HP because they were bringin in extra air and didn't really need it. I'm assuming a good tune would take full advantage of the T/B. Thanks again for all the input guys it really helps me out alot. I can finally pull the trigger and get these bad boys. Some extra ponies up top is exactly what I'm looking for since a threw in my 4.10s. Anyone reccomend a specific size of T/B? I noticed the 78mm BBK is pretty popular...

Quick Reply: The final bolt on