4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Fox struts with uncut fox springs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 08:24 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Default Fox struts with uncut fox springs?

Ok basically I am planning on picking up some NAPA fox springs (#270-3060) and I want to pair it with some Strange 10 ways struts.

With the NAPA fox springs, I am EXPECTING a drop of less than an inch. The thing is I am planning to try them out uncut, and if I decide that I want to go lower, i'll cut off 1/2 a coil.

It seems that "they" say that if your car is being set up for drag racing and you lower it more than 1.5", you should go with fox struts instead.

So I guess my question is with that being said, should I go with fox struts or should I just stick to new edge ones?

What are the negative effects of using new edge struts after being lowered more than 1.5"? Likewise, what would be the negative effects if I decided to use fox struts and didn't o lower than 1.5'?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 01-02-2010, 08:29 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Oh and one more thing, if I do end up using fox struts, it appears that foxbody spindles are bigger and if I try to mount fox struts to my new edge spindle, there will be a good sized gap. What should I use as "spacers"?
Old 01-02-2010, 10:49 AM
JayC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
Oh and one more thing, if I do end up using fox struts, it appears that foxbody spindles are bigger and if I try to mount fox struts to my new edge spindle, there will be a good sized gap. What should I use as "spacers"?
My Lakewood 90/10 Fox length struts came with plates for spacers. I have seen big flat washers used as well.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:55 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Hmm interesting

Anyone have any advice as to what I should use based on what was said in the first post?
Old 01-02-2010, 09:58 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

On a lowered SN95 car with stock length struts you may have some bottoming out problems on big bumps. The Fox length struts are around 1" shorter and gives you a better range of motion on a lowered car. I use the NAPA 4 cylinder springs with Fox length struts with no bottoming out.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:26 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayC
On a lowered SN95 car with stock length struts you may have some bottoming out problems on big bumps. The Fox length struts are around 1" shorter and gives you a better range of motion on a lowered car. I use the NAPA 4 cylinder springs with Fox length struts with no bottoming out.
Ok cool I think I am gonna go with fox struts. By the way, whats the best way of cutting the springs? and do you cut from the top or bottom?

It looks like lakewood fox struts do come with spacers but the Strange ones probably don't. I read somewhere that the gap is a total of 1/4" and so I would just need a 1/8" spacer on each side of the spindle mount. Does that seem about correct to you?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2010, 10:18 AM
03BottleFedGT
3rd Gear Member

cut from the bottom,
Old 01-03-2010, 10:43 AM
JayC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03BottleFedGT
cut from the bottom,
WRONG!!!!!!!! Cut from the top. The springs have "pigtails" on the bottom for location in the control arms.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:49 AM
03BottleFedGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayC
WRONG!!!!!!!! Cut from the top. The springs have "pigtails" on the bottom for location in the control arms.
you are correct. my bad its been awhile forgot about that
Old 01-03-2010, 01:23 PM
01 P-51G t
1st Gear Member

Use a hacksaw or an angle grinder W/cutoff wheel.
1 coil is a little more than 1" so 1/2 coil more than a 1/2". This all varies spring to spring (brands, rates, weight of car, etc.) Its best to measure when the spring has full load on it.
And just so there is no confusion, the rear is cut from top and front cut from bottom.

Quick Reply: Fox struts with uncut fox springs?