4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Does distance between maf & tb matter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 02:26 PM
01 P-51G t
1st Gear Member

Default Does distance between maf & tb matter?

I am repositioning my air filter and was wondering if it is ok to remove about 4" of intake tube? I will cut it between MAF and the IAT, IAC hoses, which will make it about 4" between the two.
Also is there a minimum distance to be kept between MAF and filter? Is 2" enough?

I will reboot so the comp. learns, but will it set off any cel's? Will it be safe enough to drive to a dyno tune?

thanks
Old 01-03-2010, 02:30 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Yes, it does matter. The positioning of the maf is very important to getting an accurate measure of incoming air so the computer can calculate the correct amount of fuel. From my understanding its placed by the ford engineers there because it getts the most accurate reading of laminar airflow there.

You should be ok as long as the air coming to the maf is straight and not coming directly from a bend. I know people move their maf for certain F/I setups. To get the best results just make sure there is a straight path coming to the maf.

I dont think ull pop a cell though.

Last edited by H0SS302; 01-03-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:40 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

I'm with hoss. It can make a difference.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:53 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

I don't know if it matters between the filter and MAF, but I don't think it matters from the MAF to the TB. Reason: My old JLT CAI put the MAF inside the fenderwell with the filter so there was a lot more distance between the two over stock and JLT is supposedly the best you could go with.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:58 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
I don't know if it matters between the filter and MAF, but I don't think it matters from the MAF to the TB. Reason: My old JLT CAI put the MAF inside the fenderwell with the filter so there was a lot more distance between the two over stock and JLT is supposedly the best you could go with.
Yea I proble should have phrased it different. The distance between maf/tb is not really an issue but you just need to make sure the incoming air to the maf has good laminar airflow or else it will throw things off.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:41 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

If not using the stock air box (which has a built-in velocity stack) you will want to have 6" or so of straight run before the MAF--this assures a laminar flow through the MAF housing. It's important because the MAF sensor only measures a fraction of the airflow through the housing, about 4%, and makes an assumption (actually the PCM makes this assumption from the MAF transfer function) of the total flow from that sample.

If the sampled flow rate is not representative of the total flow through the housing things get messed up.

After the MAF there should be a fair sized plenum which serves to dampen the intake pulses and smooth/average out air flow through the MAF--so that the MAF is not reading the normal intake pulse variations (a less dense leading edge, normal density body, and higher density trailing edge on an n/a engine).

In other words, the Ford engineers pretty much knew what they were doing--including the tapered inside diameter of the MAF to TB tube, which breaks up standing waves at certain engine speeds and throttle openings.

This latter issue is why el-cheapo CAIs that are just a fixed ID pipe can actually reduce power at some speed/load combinations.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:39 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Cliffy to the rescue. You and hoss are quickly becoming people I trust alot on here. And of course sexynerd. I wondered about the JLT intake since the MAF is relocated. Maybe that explains why alot of people run lean with it before having a tune. MAF is getting inacurate readings forcing a bit of leaning.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:49 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Removing the MAF screen will cause odd MAF numbers as well. Here's a "back-of-a-napkin" thing I did a while back regarding the screen and airflow...
Old 01-03-2010, 08:09 PM
01 P-51G t
1st Gear Member

Wow, thats hellofa napkin scratchpad lol

Ok let me see if I get this straight. I can get away with removing tube between maf & tb. but not mounting filter directly to maf, right?

btw, I have the kenne bell intake tube that has a rubber coupler (where I plan on cutting)between maf and tb.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:17 PM
01 P-51G t
1st Gear Member

Heres a picture I found thats similair to my setup.
I would remove pipe from the two hose clamps to basically the ridge 4" up. If you look closely its right next to the oil filler cap.

Quick Reply: Does distance between maf & tb matter?