4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Short Ram intake vs Cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:31 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

Default Short Ram intake vs Cold air intake

ive looked around and yes i know the fact that there is going to be warmer air going in for the Shot ram bc it is in the engine bay, but anyone with experience with a short ram vs cold air. just looking for opinions
Old 01-06-2010, 05:47 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

If i did it over again, i'd do the short ram intake. Just my personal preference though. CAI you have more of a chance of sucking up water through your intake. My car wasnt even lowered yet and i sucked up water through mine.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:55 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

yea i think im gna go with a short ram
Old 01-06-2010, 05:59 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Only go with JLT though.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:09 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by MCxQubed
ive looked around and yes i know the fact that there is going to be warmer air going in for the Shot ram bc it is in the engine bay, but anyone with experience with a short ram vs cold air. just looking for opinions
"bone stock"--save your money for exhaust work and/or a tuner. Other than bragging rights an after market intake, even the JLT which I admire, will do NOTHING along side the pathetic OEM tune and constipative exhaust...
Old 01-06-2010, 06:13 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

JLT RAI+exhaust+tuner=happy cliffy
Old 01-06-2010, 06:17 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

i have an SCT XCal 2 its just broken at this point and need to send it to SCT to get it fixed and i was debating exhaust, i think i would want an exhaust first. so ill see when i get all my money together
Old 01-06-2010, 06:30 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by teej281
JLT RAI+exhaust+tuner=happy cliffy
Pretty much, except that the JLT RAI is mostly a well-designed HAI--if I were inclined to spend the money I'd get the JLT fenderwell model. I suspect it does offer improvement over the OEM intake, but not enough to get $300 out of my "semi-retired" wallet...

It rains like the devil here in Florida, however IMHO only a total fool would drive through water deep enough, at a speed fast enough, to choke a fenderwell intake.

Keep in mind I drove supercharged Miatas for several years--I've turned around and gone the other way at flooded roads more than once.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:42 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Well it was a monsoon rain one night and i was following a cop car and couldnt avoid driving through the puddle without receiving a citation. Trust me the cops around here pull you over for like 3 over. So i did it and didnt even think about it. It was right after i got the intake put on the car. It was only at like 25mph. I have the JLT CAI...i wish that the filter didnt take a turn and point down. Wish it just pointed out and just moved the filter into the fender. Know what im talking about???
Old 01-06-2010, 07:22 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by teej281
Well it was a monsoon rain one night and i was following a cop car and couldnt avoid driving through the puddle without receiving a citation. Trust me the cops around here pull you over for like 3 over. So i did it and didnt even think about it. It was right after i got the intake put on the car. It was only at like 25mph. I have the JLT CAI...i wish that the filter didnt take a turn and point down. Wish it just pointed out and just moved the filter into the fender. Know what im talking about???
What damage did it do?

Quick Reply: Short Ram intake vs Cold air intake