4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

2000-2004 question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:55 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

OP, just so you know the 3 valves DO NOT have forged internals! That guys post is way off base.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:00 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

Get a 02-04 for sure.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:01 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by mrtstang
OP, just so you know the 3 valves DO NOT have forged internals! That guys post is way off base.
I had started to say that, and had actually referred to the fellow that put that forth as a "dick"--but my wife came by and said I was being "obnoxious and crude"...
Old 01-08-2010, 11:06 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I had started to say that, and had actually referred to the fellow that put that forth as a "dick"--but my wife came by and said I was being "obnoxious and crude"...
lol... yeah they have a way of setting us straight...probably a good thing most of the time.

I just didn't want the op to get the wrong idea.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:30 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

lol... yeah they have a way of setting us straight...probably a good thing most of the time.

I just didn't want the op to get the wrong idea.
I agree, SWMBO FTW!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:47 PM
kodyshred

so is it possible to stick a cobra engine in a mustang GT? because thats my goal for the distant future, I guess the right question is, will it fit? would i have to do any modifications to make it work? because it would be really cool, but it would seem kinda odd to be able to just swap out engines and have it not be an issue...
Old 01-08-2010, 11:48 PM
mestit3
2nd Gear Member

OP, just so you know the 3 valves DO NOT have forged internals!
awww.... I'm kind of disappointed/relieved all at the same time.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kodyshred
so is it possible to stick a cobra engine in a mustang GT? because thats my goal for the distant future, I guess the right question is, will it fit? would i have to do any modifications to make it work? because it would be really cool, but it would seem kinda odd to be able to just swap out engines and have it not be an issue...
It's very possible, and probably very expensive as well. It's a direct swap and will bolt right in. I'm not sure what all is involved, aside from motor($$$) and ECU (some little stuff like fuel pump, wiring harnesses, etc). If your heart is really set on having a 4V engine, I suggest starting out with a car with that engine already in it (Cobra or Mach 1). For the money it will likely cost you to purchase a 4V and related accessories, you could do a built and blown 2V engine and be approaching GT500 territory with it.

Last edited by Z28KLR; 01-09-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:04 AM
kodyshred

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
It's very possible, and probably very expensive as well. It's a direct swap and will bolt right in. I'm not sure what all is involved, aside from motor($$$) and ECU (some little stuff like fuel pump, wiring harnesses, etc). If your heart is really set on having a 4V engine, I suggest starting out with a car with that engine already in it (Cobra or Mach 1). For the money it will likely cost you to purchase a 4V and related accessories, you could do a built and blown 2V engine and be approaching GT500 territory with it.
sorry...but i dont know much about cars...whatsoever...whats a 4v and a 2v?

i would prefer to do some work on it, i dont really wanna buy a cobra and have that be it, i might go for what sounds like a decked out regular gt engine, is that kinda what you were getting at or am i as stupid about these things as i think i am?
Old 01-09-2010, 06:01 AM
sinister99GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
so somone makes a mistake and he is a dick? i have a wife also but i dont need mine to tell me not to reply with comments like this!

Quick Reply: 2000-2004 question