4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

oil change FIASCO!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 05:13 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I would not use a Fram filter on a go-kart--here's an oil filter dissection and write-up I did several years ago, I doubt they've gotten any better...
Old 01-11-2010, 05:23 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

the tough guards like on these cars do not have the cardboard in them
Old 01-11-2010, 05:32 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
the tough guards like on these cars do not have the cardboard in them

Cut one open--I think you'll find out otherwise...

Read more here...

Last edited by cliffyk; 01-11-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:16 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Cut one open--I think you'll find out otherwise...

Read more here...
guess i stand corrected...i was told the PH8A for mod motors did not have cardboard end caps, but your link said otherwise, and i looked up the actual filter, and it says the same

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...html#fram-ph8a
Old 01-11-2010, 06:23 PM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

I hope this makes you feel a little better. One time I was in a hurry, and changed the Oil. Filled up the crankcase, and went to start it and all the oil was on the floor. I forgot the Drain Plug! If I hadn't gone to the passenger side, I would have started it up with NO OIL! Never again, have I been in a hurry to change the oil.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:23 PM
0440thgt
2nd Gear Member

This sucks, I know the feeling - Kinda.

I just had bought my house and was doing my first oil change in my new garage on my F250 Powerstroke (15 QTS of 15W40 oil capacity).

I bought a new 15 QT drain pan from Walmart.

Just started to drain the oil out and saw it leaking from the bottom of the pan. New pan had a small hole in the bottom.

Truck was still hot, couldn't get the plug back in the oilpan.

15 QTS of steamy hot oil all over my brand new garage floor.

I was tiffed.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:49 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
guess i stand corrected...i was told the PH8A for mod motors did not have cardboard end caps, but your link said otherwise, and i looked up the actual filter, and it says the same

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...html#fram-ph8a

Maybe they have changed, but every Fram filter I and many others have opened has been a cardboard capped POS, right down to the plastic strainers and support members. They were consistently the worst of the dozen or so different brands of filters I have personally cut open.

My early Miatas had real oil pressure gauges, measured after the filter as are most, Fram filters were so restrictive that they would reduce the main gallery pressure by 5psi to 12psi as compared to a Purolator or Mazda filter. The Bosch filters that set off the whole thing were equally bad in this regard.

On my '03 GT I use the Motorcraft 820S filter as I can get it at WallyWorld for $3.50. I have did cut one open and found it to be of good quality.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:17 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

I've done lots of my own changes and never had this issue. I'll have to keep my eye out for it!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:05 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Maybe they have changed, but every Fram filter I and many others have opened has been a cardboard capped POS, right down to the plastic strainers and support members. They were consistently the worst of the dozen or so different brands of filters I have personally cut open.

My early Miatas had real oil pressure gauges, measured after the filter as are most, Fram filters were so restrictive that they would reduce the main gallery pressure by 5psi to 12psi as compared to a Purolator or Mazda filter. The Bosch filters that set off the whole thing were equally bad in this regard.

On my '03 GT I use the Motorcraft 820S filter as I can get it at WallyWorld for $3.50. I have did cut one open and found it to be of good quality.

motorcraft will be my filter of choice with my big block as well...i run k&n in my daily, but only because the closest dealership is 50mins away and autozone only carries k&n and some cheap purlator...canister filter
Old 01-12-2010, 08:10 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 04CompetitionOrange
Changing my oil today as I have done a million times and it turned into an unbelievable mess...

I started my car after changing the oil and oil filter. The car ran for about 10 seconds then started making a nasty sputtering / spitting sound. I immediately shut it off to find who knows how many quarts of oil ponding on the concrete.

I figured out that the stupid rubber gasket from the old oil filter stuck to the oil pump when I removed it. I didn't realize that the old gasket was there and snugged the new filter up to it. The old gasket blew out when the oil came up to pressure causing a huge mess.

I got it all cleaned up, but now I have an unknown amount of oil in the car. Its dark out now and I don't have any work lights, so tomorrow I will drain the new oil out and fill it back up. Sorry for the long post...just needed a good rant.
no worries haha ive seen it before when i used to work as a boat mechanic haha. This guy called me over and hes like why the hell its this thing leaking oil? And it ended up being the same problem you had.

Quick Reply: oil change FIASCO!!!!