4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Remote Start Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:02 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

Default Remote Start Help!!!

Okay so my mustang has the factory remote start option but it doesnt work... when i bought it from the guy he told me it doesnt work but thats all that was said. When i lock the doors and hold the start button the horn just beeps twice and nothing more happens? Does any1 know what the problem could be...
Old 01-16-2010, 12:09 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

There is no "factory" remote start option of which I am aware--it's not listed in the Red Book, or in the '01 to '04 shop manuals...
Old 01-16-2010, 08:36 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Hooray for dealer installed options...not. Looks like you gotta take it into the shop to get it checked out.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Dteal23
3rd Gear Member

"remote start"... never heard of that from a dealer...
Old 01-16-2010, 04:15 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

he probably just gave you the key-chain and took the other part of the remote start with him (its a lot cheaper for him to just buy another key chain).

So yeah, you just have the key fob prob.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:54 PM
runriot

Originally Posted by 0949er
he probably just gave you the key-chain and took the other part of the remote start with him (its a lot cheaper for him to just buy another key chain).

So yeah, you just have the key fob prob.
I doubt that, remote starts are $30 for the low end, 60 for a full featured one, and 100 dollars for an overpriced one. The fobs cost just as much as the units.

I would look under the dash, try and find out what model you have, and trouble shoot it from there. It could be simply that the unit lost memory at some point, and needs to be put into a program loop to learn the tach again. Is it the factory key fob that you have? U have to hit unlock twice or lock twice to trigger the remote start?
Old 01-16-2010, 09:21 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

A bit off topic...

Other than the ability to start the car, and let it idle 'til warm, in the winter (which is probably the worst thing one can do to an engine), or maybe for one man bank robberies, I don't understand the purpose of remote starting?
Old 01-16-2010, 09:48 PM
runriot

Originally Posted by cliffyk
A bit off topic...

Other than the ability to start the car, and let it idle 'til warm, in the winter (which is probably the worst thing one can do to an engine), or maybe for one man bank robberies, I don't understand the purpose of remote starting?
I never understood why people say that. WHy is warming a car up the worst thing you can do? Is it any different than getting in the car when its cold, putting it in gear and driving it? (Not trying to be a smart ***, actually asking the question)

I like it because I have back problems, it hurts to get in a cold car and try and drive. My wife likes it because she has Asthma (spelling) and has trouble breathing when its really cold out.....oh and its nice to be lazy sometimes. Ice on windshield when you leave work. Not me, mine is already defrotsted, I jump in car, drive straight home while others are stuck there defrosting. Of course my Mustang sits in a garage covered for the winter, so I dont remote start that one.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:41 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

My fusion has factory remote start I think. It's a 2010 and has the single button remote start fob with the ford logo on it. I think there is even a pamplet in my glove box for it.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:03 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

When the engine is idling, especially in cold weather, it warms up to normal temperature very slowly (if at all) and all of the by-products of combustion that would normally burn off instead condense in the crankcase and engine galleries, forming sludge and nasty acids in the oil.

If started and driven under light to moderate load a engine warms up to normal temperature as fast as is possible (because it's doing work) and far less of the nasty stuff is produced.

The worst possible situation would be to, in the dead of winter, remote start it and let it idle until "warm", then drive only 5-10 miles and shut it down. The nasty condensates will never burn off and all sorts of sludge will build-up in the upper head.

If you do this, realise that you are operating under more than severe duty circumstances and change the oil much more often. Ford say every 3000 mile or 3 months for severe duty, if the morning remote start is a frequent thing I'd do 1500 mile 2 months.

Quick Reply: Remote Start Help!!!