4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Some feedback on my first mod please

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 01:35 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

^^^You should never rely on the canned tunes that come on a tuner. Its somewhere to start but you should buy the kind of tuner that whatever tuner youre going to take the car to to have it tuned uses. My tuner uses SCT so thats what i bought and i have a custom tune in my car that was put into my SCT Xcal 3 and i have similar numbers to you. I would never just burn the tune into the car without having the tuner to store your stock tune. I would not suggest other mods before the gears and tuner. But you should probably learn a little bit more on here before you start giving the advice. The tech knowledge we have on here is amazing and we have a lot of guru's that know what they are talking about. So learn a little bit more than just what youve heard from friends because you dont know if what they say is true. Our cars have a terrible tune in them factory and a tuner will actually improve a decent amount.

As far as gears go, 3.73, 3.90, and 4.10's seem to be the more popular gears on here. I went with 4.10's and they are great. Im sure that i'd be happy with 3.73's too. But my gas mileage didnt suffer at all and it is much more fun with the gears. If you cant pick, get 3.90's because its right in the middle.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Pinfinity

Talking

Originally Posted by 0949er
screw 4-5 months, if you are buying it now you need to install it now (but i'm not one to talk, I have sleept beside a v-1 t-trim for 2 months lol)

Do you want to go F/I later down the road? I have 4:10s now, but 1st and 2nd gear are pretty useless from any kind of hard launch. 3.73 would be a little better once you start to make that extra power to the wheels, i guess unless you do some full suspension mods and DRs, then you can do 4.10s again haha
I would love to but the car will be down for at least 2-3 weeks while the heads and intake are being done (and it's not cheap, but cheaper than the new TFS 2V heads) and yes, i do eventually intend to F/I later but i want a forged bottom end before I do that and my cars not even broke in good yet ha, ha!...also, to get back to the original post,any ideas for a better TB/intake plenum/pipe...I'm all ears.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Imfamouz_Duche

well sorry to step on your arrogance but i was not suggesting wiping your stock ecu clean the guy that i was talking about does it through sniper software and can have up to 8 stored tunes on one of the parts, and im not relying solely on what people say, i have read several articles and have personally expierienced what has happened to people, gears are the best bang for the buck, and you do see the biggest improvement through them but depending on the uses for your car and money i would do those when you go get it tuned, and as far as your gas mileage goes that is a bull face lie, if you go with 4.10's your gas mileage will change i know that for a fact
Old 01-20-2010, 01:52 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er
screw 4-5 months, if you are buying it now you need to install it now (but i'm not one to talk, I have sleept beside a v-1 t-trim for 2 months lol)

Do you want to go F/I later down the road? I have 4:10s now, but 1st and 2nd gear are pretty useless from any kind of hard launch. 3.73 would be a little better once you start to make that extra power to the wheels, i guess unless you do some full suspension mods and DRs, then you can do 4.10s again haha
dont feel bad i have too, lol
Old 01-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Pinfinity

Talking

Originally Posted by teej281
^^^You should never rely on the canned tunes that come on a tuner. Its somewhere to start but you should buy the kind of tuner that whatever tuner youre going to take the car to to have it tuned uses. My tuner uses SCT so thats what i bought and i have a custom tune in my car that was put into my SCT Xcal 3 and i have similar numbers to you. I would never just burn the tune into the car without having the tuner to store your stock tune. I would not suggest other mods before the gears and tuner. But you should probably learn a little bit more on here before you start giving the advice. The tech knowledge we have on here is amazing and we have a lot of guru's that know what they are talking about. So learn a little bit more than just what youve heard from friends because you dont know if what they say is true. Our cars have a terrible tune in them factory and a tuner will actually improve a decent amount.

As far as gears go, 3.73, 3.90, and 4.10's seem to be the more popular gears on here. I went with 4.10's and they are great. Im sure that i'd be happy with 3.73's too. But my gas mileage didnt suffer at all and it is much more fun with the gears. If you cant pick, get 3.90's because its right in the middle.
That is some solid advice and all is greatly appreciated. My "friend" is a 5.0 Foxbody guy and for the most part says I should wait to get an 2011 GT lol! (But he's been trying to buy my car from me since I got it too :-) ) there is alot of knowlege on here and as much as I want to absorb it all it's hard to take it all in. It's easy to have "paralysis by analysis" but I can't stand it anymore, I gotta do some mods!
Old 01-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Pinfinity

Originally Posted by Imfamouz_Duche
well sorry to step on your arrogance but i was not suggesting wiping your stock ecu clean the guy that i was talking about does it through sniper software and can have up to 8 stored tunes on one of the parts, and im not relying solely on what people say, i have read several articles and have personally expierienced what has happened to people, gears are the best bang for the buck, and you do see the biggest improvement through them but depending on the uses for your car and money i would do those when you go get it tuned, and as far as your gas mileage goes that is a bull face lie, if you go with 4.10's your gas mileage will change i know that for a fact
? not sure if this was directed at me but I try to maintain a constant state of humility :-)

Last edited by Pinfinity; 01-20-2010 at 02:25 PM. Reason: too many repeat words
Old 01-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Imfamouz_Duche

? not sure if this was directed at me but I try to maintain a I try to maintain a constant state of humility :-)
no it wasnt directed to you you just reponded while i was typing it sorry i meant it towards teej281, sorry for confusion
Old 01-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Pinfinity

Ok, so what I'm getting so far is I need a new "Ford Blue" intake (powder coated of course) ...that's a joke, I'm joking...seriously. :-)
Old 01-20-2010, 03:00 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

Good starting point. Exhaust tuner and gears next!
Old 01-20-2010, 05:18 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by Imfamouz_Duche
I didnt mean it in arrogance. I meant just do some reading on here and learn from those who know this stuff like the back of their hand. I did not have an MPG difference. I get better MPG in the city and the same on the highway. I got 26mpg with the top down cruising 75 on the way to pittsburgh over the summer. But you are correct to do them at the same time because of the speedo needing re-calibration after gear install and the tuner is the easiest way of doing it. But usually when people say get a tuner, they mean get one through like AM and they will do a tune on it for your mods that you have and for the specific octane fuel that you want to run and they give free tunes for life. So tuner would probably be one of the best mods ive ever done. And when you yourself dont have the actual tuner for your car and it is locked to your car, then you do actually wipe out your stock ecu settings and have your computer reflashed and you cannot recover your specific stock tune. This is my understanding of the concept of flash tuning. I dont know how you would go about doing that without having a handheld with it stored in it.

Quick Reply: Some feedback on my first mod please