4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cams are in baby!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 10:51 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangmancp
I haven't talked to they guys at the shop...but i don't think they did :/. Am i losing power if they didn't?

And to teej: yea the first graph was crazy! I was like wtf lol! But the intall + new tuner/dyno time+ new spark plugs and oil change to synthetic was $934
It's always a good possibility that you're leaving power on the table if you don't degree the cams. I would definantly find this out. It would also be worthy to know (if they did degree them) how much clearence you have. It's very important to know this stuff, especially when dealing with larger cams like this.

So when do we get to hear these bad boys?

Last edited by mrtstang; 01-24-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:55 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Well the idle was set to 1k, and when i start drivin it i think im gonna lower it 150-200 rpms. And i noticed it, but didn't even think it was possible that the cams had been put in yet lol.

There will be a soundclip here in a few weeks after i lower the idle. Easy boys lol
Old 01-24-2010, 11:21 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Nice man, glad you got to put em in. I wouldnt worry about degreeing them. I was told by the Hitech owner that as long as the cams are installed somewhat close(which they obviously are if your motor isnt clanking) your not leaving much out of the equation. He told me that degreed/undegreed they didnt notice more than a handful of HP difference.. hardly worth the money to get it done.

Im sure I have the email somewhere maybe I can find it and post it.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:22 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Yea i emailed him too lol and asked before i got them installed. He told me the same thing.

Thank you again Hoss for the cams...best thing ive ever done!!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:29 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

No problem man, sucks that I had to sell them but I couldnt just let them sit there when I knew I could get money for them fast at that price. Thanks for being patient with the M/O.

The crappy part is I got another job in the same company after you had already paid. FACEPALM lol
Old 01-24-2010, 12:17 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Congrats Bro!
Old 01-24-2010, 12:34 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by mustangmancp
Well the idle was set to 1k, and when i start drivin it i think im gonna lower it 150-200 rpms. And i noticed it, but didn't even think it was possible that the cams had been put in yet lol.

There will be a soundclip here in a few weeks after i lower the idle. Easy boys lol
Well you started the car when it was cold and had just had cams put in. The idle is probably somewhere around 800-850rpm's when the car warms up and gets more used to the cams and the extra airflow. I'd be interested to see what the car puts down on a dynojet seeing that with a different tuner and tune what you could have gotten out of the car before the cams. But that price isnt bad at all for the install of the cams, springs, and everything. I kinda want cams now. lol but now you gotta get them gears so your car doesnt feel sluggish in the lower rpms. And the chop probably isnt as noticeable seeing that you have cats. o/r midpipes usually tend to add to the chop.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Congrats man! Picked up a good amount of power! I thought you would be closer to maybe 300rwhp.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Congrats! ...nice pick-up!
Old 01-24-2010, 01:41 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
Congrats man! Picked up a good amount of power! I thought you would be closer to maybe 300rwhp.
Well i was on a mustang dyno...theres a guy in springfield that has a dynojet that i may go see this summer just to see the difference, and i hear really good things about his tuning! I think id be close to 290 on a dynojet.

But yea i just really wanna drive it to feel the difference, just by lookin at the dyno chart its a BIG improvement over before as you can see! And yes gears will be next on the list, there's a kid that just wrecked his mustang (snow sucks) and he maybe be parting it out. He has a set of 4.10s that he never got installed so imma try and pick those up from him.

Quick Reply: Cams are in baby!!!