4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cams are in baby!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:01 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by H0SS302
I wouldnt worry about degreeing them. I was told by the Hitech owner that as long as the cams are installed somewhat close(which they obviously are if your motor isnt clanking) your not leaving much out of the equation. He told me that degreed/undegreed they didnt notice more than a handful of HP difference.. hardly worth the money to get it done.
Saying you shouldn't worry about degreeing Stage 2 cams is the WORST advice I have ever heard.

And if he didn't take measurements for how much clearance he had, how do you know the cams were installed "somewhat close"? His stock cam gears can be retarded +/- 4 degrees and with an advertised IC of 112 he could have a cam installed at 116 IC which he would be leaving a lot on the table, not just a few hp.

Hitech is going to tell you whatever you want to hear so they can sell you their cams. I'm glad the OP got them installed and he will see a difference in power with but to say the things you did and what Hitech said is terrible.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:08 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Saying you shouldn't worry about degreeing Stage 2 cams is the WORST advice I have ever heard.

And if he didn't take measurements for how much clearance he had, how do you know the cams were installed "somewhat close"? His stock cam gears can be retarded +/- 4 degrees and with an advertised IC of 112 he could have a cam installed at 116 IC which he would be leaving a lot on the table, not just a few hp.

Hitech is going to tell you whatever you want to hear so they can sell you their cams. I'm glad the OP got them installed and he will see a difference in power with but to say the things you did and what Hitech said is terrible.

Hey buddy guess what....a lot of manufacturers dont require a degree. And if you mark the chains before you take everything out you should have damn near identical the timing before the install. A shop is not going to put in writing something that could come back to bite them in the *** NUMEROUS times..
Old 01-24-2010, 08:30 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Ask any reputable engine builder, and they will tell you degreeing is must. The cams in our particular cars can come in severly advanced or retarted, which further exacerbates the problems when you don't degree. Given the variances from vehicle to vehicle, it's really a crap shoot at that point, and you are taking a big chance.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:40 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Ask any reputable engine builder, and they will tell you degreeing is must. The cams in our particular cars can come in severly advanced or retarted, which further exacerbates the problems when you don't degree. Given the variances from vehicle to vehicle, it's really a crap shoot at that point, and you are taking a big chance.
Ask any engine builder and they SHOULD tell you that you need to swap valve springs out to. lol.. but we all know everyones stance on that. haha
Old 01-24-2010, 08:48 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Ask any engine builder and they SHOULD tell you that you need to swap valve springs out to. lol.. but we all know everyones stance on that. haha
True, but when you're dealing with cams that have low enough lift, and don't need to spin past 6k to make power, then it becomes a different situation.

Even the guys at Comp and CMS will tell you that the stockers are fine with their stage 1's. John Tymensky (one the top modular engine builders in the country) will even tell you that.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:50 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

LOL im just ****in with you dude.. i like to mess with you on cam threads haha you always reply within minutes you have like a cam thread reply buzzer imbedded in your head haha.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:57 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

LOL im just ****in with you dude.. i like to mess with you on cam threads haha you always reply within minutes you have like a cam thread reply buzzer imbedded in your head haha.
No you weren't, you just know nothing about cams.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:58 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
No you weren't, you just know nothing about cams.
LOL yea thats it. If you have read any threads about cams in the last few months me and MRT always go back and forth about valve springs.

It was a joke numb nuts
Old 01-24-2010, 09:06 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

LOL yea thats it. If you have read any threads about cams in the last few months me and MRT always go back and forth about valve springs.

It was a joke numb nuts
Nah, it's cool. You and i have a difference of opinion on this subject, and that's fine. It makes the forums much more fun lol.

You have to understand, i've done TONS of research in this particular area (i just find it fascinating) and have even met with Tymensky personally. I'm not the kind of guy to just rehash info just because someone says something.

Tymensky had a PI engine on the stand that had ptv contact (with certain very well known cams) that literally was shot because of that. Ever since then i started doing my own research, and found a lot of supporting evidence.

Last edited by mrtstang; 01-24-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:30 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

the +-4 degrees comes from the stock cam gears, mhs makes +-.5 degrees stock style gears. Just a little food for thought.

Quick Reply: Cams are in baby!!!