4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Vortech and Cam Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:45 PM
blindboyth

Default Vortech and Cam Question

I have a 1997 GT with an automatic and 150k miles. I recently picked up a used vortech v2 s-trim and comp cams XE262AH. It came with the head unit with bracket, intake tube with a 80mm pro-m maf,braided stainless oil lines, discharge tube, 42lb Motorsports injectors, a superchips chip that is supposedly tuned for the cam and 18lbs of boost, along with most of the hardware.

I am wondering what I will need to do for the fuel system? What other stuff will I need besides small hardware? I know I am going to need a tune and I am going to put a larger pulley on the s/c and try to run 6-8psi. Will I need new valve springs? What should I look out for? What hp and tq could I expect out of a safe tune?

I know this is a bunch of questions in one and I apologize but I am really looking forward to getting this together. One more thing I am on a college kid budget.

Thanks in advance,
Trevor
Old 02-02-2010, 09:54 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

do you have the 99-04 pi heads? those cams are designed for those heads but they are a stage 1 cam so you can run stock valve springs. i'd run the 3.60 pulley on that setup for safty of motor being high milage. you will also need a fuel pump, id suggest a ford super car pump or a svt focus pump
Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

The XE262AH cams are for the PI stangs. I'm not positive, but IIRC you can't effectively run them on NPI setup. Considering you cars mileage, the increased lift from the cams, and the fact that you'll be running boost, i'd definantly upgrade the springs.

You'll need to upgrade the fuel pump as well.

Last edited by mrtstang; 02-02-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:10 PM
blindboyth

My engine has the NPI heads and intake. I know it is possible to swap PI cams into NPI heads so Im assuming it is possible to put these cams into my heads. I think a 3.60 pulley is best for the mileage on the engine. Over the summer I would like to drop in a PI engine so honestly engine longevity is not a huge deal but I still dont wanna blow it and harm the sc.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:12 PM
blindboyth

ohh and could i get away with just using say a walbro 225l/hr in tank fuel pump? will i need an FMU or adjustable FPR?
Old 02-02-2010, 10:50 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

as long as you don't go too big on the boost (which you shouldn't without a built bottom end anyway), the walbro fuel pump will be fine. or you can go with the focus pump, i think it's 190 l/hr.

and don't use that chip that's supposedly tuned for this setup. you shouldn't be running 18 psi on a stock bottom end, and you really should get it dyno tuned anyway.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:10 AM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

^ They all covered it pretty well
Old 02-03-2010, 05:39 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

You can run the pi cams in the npi heads, the npi heads have more clearance then the pi heads do anyway. I don't know the specs on that cam. but springs are always a good investment, or you can shim the springs you have. Also, the npi guys usually run 11-12psi intercooled safely since they don't usually make enough power to kill the bottom end with stock intake and heads. If it's not intercooled 8psi is probly a good idea, but I wouldn't expect much power out of it.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:23 AM
blindboyth

I know i will have to get it dyno tuned after its all hooked up. I think I'll go with the walbro pump just because it is cheaper than the t-rex setup. I will try to get the chip that I have now tuned. It sounds like its a good idea to get new springs as well.

Is there anything else I should watch out for or that would be a good investment while im doing this?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

I forgot to mention that the 255lph walbro pumps for 86-97 will work fine, the gt supercar and svt focus pumps are variable voltage pumps and I think you need to modify them or the basket to fit the older setup anyway.

Quick Reply: Vortech and Cam Question