4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cold air intake loud @ idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:38 PM
97MstangGT

yeah im lost with the whole air pump thing, and even if that was the problem do you know how much it would probably run. just for the part i would install it. and is the air pump the correct name for it?..part number? etc

thanks guys
Old 02-05-2010, 12:40 AM
5pointslow91
4th Gear Member

when cameras under the car it sounds like a million crickets in the woods
Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 PM
97MstangGT

nice thought?
Old 02-08-2010, 11:30 PM
97MstangGT

I replaced the cold air intakes filter with a brand new bbk element ..still has the loud sucking noise.

also upgraded the ignition with the msd upgrade kit new coils,wires, and ngk plugs, no more high idle. it stays around 600 rpm
Old 02-08-2010, 11:32 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

well thats good at least. But still the loud sucking noise???
Old 02-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Sonic_Stang
1st Gear Member

Sorry guys I've had a busy week, but from what my understanding is the air pump or (Secondary Air Pump) is one of those emission deals I do believe it assists in pumping air into the intake during idol but I can't remember but it's in your fender wall. I had to replace mine twice and it was way annoying. The mechanic showed me the old pump and explained that if I'm driving through dirt, snow and water it throws it up into the front passenger wheel well and can make the pump faulty. The second time it was replaced the mechanic said it was the pump relay. After the relay was replaced the gulping sound stopped after I shut the car off. I researched it alot and that's a very common part that goes out on our year of stangs. The filter is the only other thing that I can think of causing that sound but since that is replaced it's hard to say. If your not throwing codes that's a very good thing. I say take it to a mechanic. If your like me and like working on your own car it kinda sucks but they might be able to pin point the problem. You could even drive around until it throws a code even though that's not the best idea haha but if it's running okay you might be able to get away with it. Maybe MAF sensor is toast? Keep us updated, plugs and filter were a great idea though. Good luck don't give up!
Old 02-09-2010, 12:55 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Try cleaning out the throttle body bore too. Might have some sticking issues there and that might cause the sucking sound after the motor shuts off. Just throwing out ideas man.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:24 AM
97MstangGT

yeah, thanks for the info guys. I just recently bought the car from KY and brought it back home here to ohio, car never made the noise when i bought it, but anyways what im getting at is that the car had some quarter panel damage so its at the body shop right now. I hate to give in a take it to the autoshop and get reemed for bull Sh*t inspection i use to work at firestone and I know how those things can go. it is still sucking air like crazy so maybe that "airbox" thing is the problem. it cant be a very big part??...
Old 04-15-2010, 02:08 PM
HKSevo

any update on this?

I have a very similar noise from my CAI but my filter isnt in the fender, its above the fender.

Ill take a vid of the noise with my iPhone later today and ill post it in here.

I have this CAI,
MAC 80mm Mass Air System
http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php...1&currency=USD

ive only owned my stang for maybe 2-3 months. Had this CAI on it and and it has had this noise problem from the beginning!
Previous owner told me that it was normal so i thought it was lol. Ive only heard the difference from a stock intake to a aftermarket intake for a Evo and all i really noticed was the spooling was significantly louder.

And once i punch it or give it gas with the stang, it sounds almost like a turbo spooling up hahahaha. But other than that it sounds like a vacuum leak to me but thought nothing of it because the original owner "/
Old 04-16-2010, 02:23 PM
HKSevo

here is my video. Sorry for hijacking your thread but it might be the same problem??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK5s0XLhz1E

Thanks

Quick Reply: Cold air intake loud @ idle